Opinions on Johnny Depp?

So I was chatting with this guy who insists that Johnny Depp is about as good an actor as Hayden Christensen. of course, being an admittedly huge Johnny Depp fan I had to argue that. He's a terrific actor; I love most of his work. Benny & Joon, Blow, Pirates, Edward Scissorhands etcetera...Hell, I thought he was pretty good in Secret Window too. I'm hoping the new Willy Wonka will continue a trend of good movies for my <3.

What do you guys think of him?

imo he's a great actor , loved him in benny and joon , secret window was good , as was the ninth gate. What's eating gilbert grape , and from hell were good also , seen most of all the movies he';s been in but I like Fear and Loathing in las vegas the best

I've had conversations like this before...unfortunately they tended to be with females who were intent merely to participate in hormonal fawning. See, I rate Depp because he's funny as fuck. Plus, unlike another object of hormonal fawning by the name of Bloom, he actually has acting talent.

The fact that he has a tendency to steal the spotlight in most films that he's in, even when not the lead role, is really all the evidence you need.

I think he plays the weird parts great. By what I mean weird parts, I mean that parts that are out in left field and you watch it and think, what a weird character.

Some Examples would be Edwards Scissorhands, Pirates of the Carabien, and Willy Wonka(Even though it aint out yet.)

He might not be as good as everyone thinks but just sticks in our mind because the characters he plays stick into our mind.

I'm a huge Depp fan, a big fan of his work, and he does steal just about every film he's in. He has a tendancy to make films that bit more watchable because he's in them too, which is great.

So basically, he's one of my favourite actors, and one of the best actors around at the moment IMO.

I think he's good.

I think he's had good and bad patches and good and bad films.

It helps him that he's a good looking guy (in the same way that Brad Pitt is a great actor but being good looking helps on top of that!)

I wouldn't say that he's one of the best actors working today though.

Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro, Christopher Walken, Samuel L Jackson, Dennis Hopper, Christian Bale, Liam Neeson, Ben Kingsley, Takeshi Kitano, Andy Lau, Tony Leung to name some of the best of the best.

I'd say he was on the next stage down. The "Very Good" as opposed to great.

Alongside Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise (whatever people think of him he's a very good actor), Daniel Craig, Morgan Freeman, Jamie Foxx....

I would say that's his level.

Johnny Depp is superb, he's one of few actors who can convincing play any role. Any other American cast in the lead role of Finding Neverland or Sleepy Hollow would have stuck out like a sore thumb, but 20 minutes in to both films and you forget that Depp's American and just get caught up in the story.

That and he went from generic teen actor to "misunderstood" goth poster boy via Edward Scissorhands, which was a fantastic role, and not forgetting Jack Sparrow, one of the greatest characters in recent memory.

I think he is awesome, one of my favourite actors. He was brilliant in Benny and Joon, Secret Window and Edward Scissorhands, he was also brilliant in Once Upon A Time In Mexico.

But for me, his best role is Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean. I can't imagine anyone else playing that role, he does it so well and is just so fucking funny. This is a reason why I am glad they plan to make another two movies.

I have to admit that I was largely indifferent to him for a long time. He was great in POTC though, stole every scene he was in. But then I saw Donnie Brasco, which is, imo, an amazing film. Depp acted so well with Pacino, and that one film convinced me that he truly is a great actor. Anyone that can keep up with Al must be doing something right.

Guest *Doink*

Excellent actor, has the ability to truly create memorable characters. Also, he NAILED Hunter S Thompson in Fear and loathing, even to this day when I picture Hunter in my head, I get images of Johnny Depp from that film. THAt is how good he is.

There's not much to add, because I agree that Depp's amazing. One thing I disagree with is his performance in "Edward Scissorhands"; I've always thought that it was everyone else reacting to Edward that made the character work. There wasn't really much acting to be done there, except for a whole lot of brooding.