PES Free Kicks

Farmer Reil

Ok, I feel slightly ashamed...but I'm going to have to ask anyway. How the fuck are you supposed to know where to aim for free kicks? There isn't even the slightest indication of where the ball is going to go when you kick it :P

For me it's always been kinda hit and hope. You can take a couple of sighters to see how much the ball will curl and try and take it from there. Not the best thing for a game that advocates itself as the most realistic game on the market but IMO it's better then FIFA's crosshair score everytime you take one system.

Guest Boods

I once scored a free kick from the halfway line...

But anyway the way I do it is if you try curling it around the wall. So make it face slightly away from the goal and then take the shot with the metre half full as well as holding the direction you want it to curve in.

You pretty much kick it where th camera is facing. I'm the boy at free kicks. I've scored a good 20 or so in the course of playing (I know i've sored more direct freekicks and layoffs than goals I score off corners. I always knock my corners too far).

On IIS 98 I scored a freekick from the semi circle of the halfway line with Roberto Carlos (And the massive run up). It was against Jamaica. I just ran and nailed it hard and it went in. It's still saved on one of my old PS1 memory cards. Shame I don't have ISS98 anymore though.

Edited by Funk Odyssey

Most of the time I manage to put it over the wall and just give it enough dip so that it troubles the keeper or goes in. I hold down on the dpad and give it about half power with a little bit of curl and it works for me. For anything further out than 25 yards and it becomes useless, then I just smack it hard as I can without putting it into orbit.

I usually aim just beside the wall if I am like 30 or more yards out, if closer, I'll aim a bit to the wall, although I haven't scored a regular first time freekick yet on PES4, they are fucking hard, I only ever score the ones when you lay it off, I suck.

I wasn't too bad at PES3 FK's but somehow I suck at PES4 FK's. They must have changed something <_< I think i've scored about 3 PES4 total.

Edited by King Ellis

I do love scoring beauties when laying them off. I tapped it out to Stoichkov who blasted one in from about 30 yards. Keeper didn't have a chance. I then started to dance an insulting dance, with plenty of groin thrusts, at my mate who was controlling the other team.

Pass the ball, then shoot. You will score 7/10 free kicks that way.

If you wanna master the free kick, just line up about an inch away from the post, and hold the meter down about halfway for the height, and iut should float in. You may have to hold the arrow key the corner your shooting in to give it a little curl to beat the keeper.

I wasn't too bad at PES3 FK's but somehow I suck at PES4 FK's. They must have changed something  <_< I think i've scored about 3 PES4 total.

I was shit on PES3 at freekicks. I never actually scored a free kick until this morning when me and a mate got a little bored of PES4 and played 3 for a couple of games instead. And I scored a freekick with Seedorf.

THere's one thing I loved about PES3 over PES4 is that the shots look better. They look more powerful.

Its all about practice over different distances really. I refuse to do it in training mode like one of my mates did (mind you he ended up Northern champ of Pro Evo 3, bastard. Totti freekick in the final), but just attempt it ingame and you'll get it. I'm never guaranteed to score but sometimes you just get it right. I got two with Robbie Keane in one match once to even up a game in the last 20 minutes, totally different distances.

New trick to really rile my brother though is an R3 layoff to my keeper for a shot, then watching the keeper leg it back. Hit the bar with Jerzy Dudek, finally scored today, screamer from Victor Valdez who of course has Kezmans face. Gold.

One of my tricks from a central free-kick was to aim for the opposite side than the one the wall is covering, medium power, and gently aim for that side. I was playing as Middlesborough, and Nemeth scored two games in a row with that trick.

Not played Pro Evo for months though. Not since the unpleasantness......

Essentially, I was reasonably disappointed with Pro Evo 4 anyway, then got incredibly angry with the game, broke the case.

A collection of pens

A control pad

Another game case

A few more items.

Basically, I was filled with hatred, and havent touched it since. Also, it's behind a wardrobe now.

I'm sad.

Plus pro Evo 4 is fucking awesome. Multi-player it's hella fun (All i've been doing for the past 3 weeks pretty much).

Do what me and my mates have done, make dreamteams. Just take it in turns to pick all the best players in the world until you have an amazing team and then play a 30 minute game. Its the only way to do it justice. It feels good to have Buffon roll the ball out to Nesta, who plays it out wide to Cryuff, who knocks it upfield to Stoichkov, who then rifles a volley that is palmed away by Yashin, only for Van Basten to tap in the rebound.

Still haven't scored a freekick since Pro Evo 2.....

Though at least in 4 it feels possible...Hit the crossbar, had amazing keeper saves....gah

What I AM getting good at scoring are early crosses into the box for glancing or diving headers from Sean Davis or Pedro Mendes, and Robbie Keane knocking the ball ahead, sprinting through and belting it low.