Football (soccer) Shirt Numbering System

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baros has always confused me. I mean number 5 up front?

He signed on the same day as Anelka and 5 and 9 were the only squad numbers left.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Anelka is a striker, he had 9, Baros took 5. You could argue that Baros should of had 9 since Anelka was just on loan, but yeah, it doesn't matter.

1 Goalkeeper

2 Right Back

3 Left Back

4 Center Midfield ( Defensive )

5 Center Half

6 Center Half

7 Right Winger

8 Center Midfielder (Play Maker / Attacking )

9 Striker ( Target Man )

10 Striker

11 Left Winger

The thing is nowadays it doesnt evevn matter for example the Baros situation but it just isnt right not to have it as above . IMO it should signify your apart of the starting 11 if you have that shirt but nowadays its all about replica shirts and so on .

Its a smart move for clubs to put the big players with double digits . Its a conspiracy the gd players have double digits Eg , at Spurs . Keane - 10 , Defoe - 18 , King - 26 . Elsewhere Henry - 14 , Bergkamp - 10 , Van Nistelrooy - 10 Smart for them to do it £3 a number adds up !

Alot of places don't even sell by the number or character anymore, I'm pretty sure its only the pre-printed numbered shirts that the clubs make the money from, otherwise you're getting it printed in a sports shop thus making them the money and not the club.

Its good when a player can make a number their own, I remember when I use to play football, I was always no.15 because people would fight over the 7's, 8's, 9's and 10's, but if you can take a number and make it your own (e.g. Henry 14), thats a good thing.

In reply to why in Italy some players have squad numbers like 77 etc I do remember hearing at one point one player was sponsored by a Radio station and so his number was the frequency of the station.

When numbering players I usually just steal number situations that have occured at my club Leeds, for example a good upcoming youngerster is given 38 (James Milner), back up strikers who can't have low numbers like 9 or 10 have 17 (Alan Smith) or numbers that add up to 9 such as 27 (Robbie Fowler) or 36. I give my 3rd keeper 40 (Scott Carson) and reserve 23 for a 'cult' player, lots of good players seem to get 23, Batty had it at Leeds and Beckham has it at Real Madrid. I can't think of any other off the top of my head but theres plenty.

In some cases they would, infact it could even become part of the contract negociations, especially with big players demanding to keep their number even if they move clubs.

Some foreingn players have the year they were born, ie: Ricardo is #77 for Sporting Lisbon

It's weird how the 23 thing works :P

It's Sol Campbell for Arsenal, Luke McCormick at Plymouth...that's actually quite worryingly reliable :shifty:

*checks who his #23 is in FM*

HOLY SHIT. That's scary :P

The number 23 is going to haunt me forever :(

Who's your 23? I wanna know dammit!!!

His is some Finnish kid that would be best described as the closest he can get to a wonderkid. The type of player that would be a cult figure in his Finnish squad, I forgot the odd name, though.

Mine is fucking Kenny Lunt. <_< He barely makes the bench in my Premiership squad.