Tennis Games

therockbox

You can't go wrong with Top Spin. And probably at this point you could pick it up pretty cheap or even used in the combo pack with NCAA Football 2005. It's a good game and plays well but as with almost all tennis games, the player lineup kinda stinks. Michael Chang? Cmon XSN Sports (now defunct) you couldn't have reached up a little higher than that?

Top Spin is probably the only game worth picking up imo anyway.

Virtua Tennis on PC is quite fun, only two types of shot and is more arcadey and is only about £5 or even less in some places.

Top Spin is more realistic and you can play many types of shots: flat, top spin, slice, lob, risk and drop shots. The career mode is great, only downside in my opinion is that the game doesn't have enough top players, only Hewitt, Sampras and Robredo on the men's side. Which is why I can't wait for it on the 360 because then it will have Federer, Coria, Henman and Roddick etc.

But yeh, buy Top Spin and/or Virtua Tennis.

Edited by Gooner4Life

Top Spin, its easily the best tennis game I've played. It does have a few flaws like a so-so career mode, the difficulty settings are pants (its quite easy regardless, but your opponent just uses 'risk shots' over and over again on higher settings, rather than actually out playing you), and the roster is bollocks.

One good thing is unlike some tennis games, the player you are and the court you play on do make a difference. For instance, Grosjean is noticeably faster than say Sampras, but lacks power in comparison, and you can tell. Also, your way of serving has to change between players, as some things work for some, but not others.

However, Top Spin 2 has been confirmed for the XBOX360, and will feature 24 pro's. Grosjean is gone (boo!), but when the mens roster will include Federer, Hewitt, Roddick, Coria and Henman you cant complain.

Off IGN, the Roster so far for Top Spin 2 is (BTW, Who the fuck is Brendan Evans?):

Andy Roddick, Roger Federer, Carlos Moya, Tommy Haas, James Blake, Lleyton Hewitt, Guillermo Coria, Tim Henman, Max Mirnyi, Alex Kuznetsov, Brendan Evans, Venus Williams, Maria Sharapova, Ai Sugiyama, Lindsay Davenport, Anastasia Myskina, Daniela Hantuchova, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Amelie Mauresmo, Alicia Molik, Angela Haynes, Jamea Jackson, and Corina Morariu.

That beats Top Spin, who's male roster is Sampras, Hewitt, Grosjean, Blake, Robredo, Chang, Gambill and someone else....... I forget which women are on, I never use them, though I may on 2, judging by who's on.

That is a 100% improvement over the roster on the first Top Spin.

Edited by timmayy