EWB's Greatest 25 Bands of Rock and Roll

Laice07

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like everything on here so far, I have my own list but I'll wait till you've finished yours to throw it up.

Side-note: No love for QotSA?

QotSA's a fine band and all, but they shouldn't be here. Neither should SoaD or Green Day, really, and NiN is debatable, but they all have a better claim to be here (well, SoaD doesn't) than Queens of the Stone Age do.

I like everything on here so far, I have my own list but I'll wait till you've finished yours to throw it up.

QotSA's a fine band and all, but they shouldn't be here. Neither should SoaD or Green Day, really, and NiN is debatable, but they all have a better claim to be here (well, SoaD doesn't) than Queens of the Stone Age do.

Why shouldn't Green Day? They're long serving members of the punk community and just because they went mainstream isn't a bad thing. A band doesn't have to have been around 20 years to get recognition as a great band. Okay so if they were top 10 I could understand your PoV, but from what I see they've contributed a great deal to music in the time they've been around and have made some great songs.

Why shouldn't Green Day? They're long serving members of the punk community and just because they went mainstream isn't a bad thing. A band doesn't have to have been around 20 years to get recognition as a great band. Okay so if they were top 10 I could understand your PoV, but from what I see they've contributed a great deal to music in the time they've been around and have made some great songs.

Green Day shouldn't be at #13 just because there are other bands more important or just plain better than them who are far below them in the rankings. I see their significance and I suppose something in the 25-15 range wouldn't be so bad there but, I mean, there's no fucking way they're better/more important than, say, the Jimi Hendrix Experience for example.

7. Tool

tool_lateralus.jpg

ihead.jpg

Bio

Excerpt:

Tool's greatest breakthrough was to introduce dark, vaguely underground metal to the preening pretentiousness of art rock. Or maybe it was introducing the self-absorbed pretension of art rock to the wearing grind of post-thrash metal -- the order really doesn't matter. Though Metallica wrote their multi-sectioned, layered songs as if they were composers, they kept their musical attack ferociously at street level. Tool didn't -- they embraced the artsy, faux-bohemian preoccupations of Jane's Addiction while they simultaneously paid musical homage to the dark, relentlessly bleak visions of grindcore, death metal, and thrash. Even with their post-punk influences, they executed their music with the ponderous, anti-song aesthetic of prog rock, alternating between long, detailed instrumental interludes and tuneless, pseudo-meaningful lyrical rants in their songs. Tool, however, had a knack for conveying the strangled, oppressive angst that the alternative nation of the early '90s claimed as their own. So, the band was able to slip into the definition of alternative rock during the post-Nirvana era, landing a slot on the third Lollapalooza tour in 1993, which helped their first full length debut album, Undertow, rocket into platinum status.

Oh sweet CHRIST no. *Headdesk ten thousand times over.* And we were doing so well, too!

Then again, I guess it's Tool FANS I hate as opposed to Tool itself which I am decidedly "Meh." about, but still.

Poor GoGo :( I hope #6, and #5 make you feel better.

Speaking of which:

6. AC/DC

rock-027-ac_dc-back_in_black%5b20030418105523%5d.jpg

ac_dc_01.jpg

Bio

Excerpt:

AC/DC's mammoth power-chord roar became one of the most influential hard rock sounds of the '70s. In its own way, it was a reaction against the pompous art rock and lumbering arena rock of the early '70s. AC/DC's rock was minimalist -- no matter how huge and bludgeoning the guitar chords were, there was a clear sense of space and restraint. Combined with Bon Scott's larynx-shredding vocals, the band spawned countless imitators over the next two decades.

AC/DC was formed in 1973 in Australia by guitarist Malcolm Young after his band, the Velvet Underground, collapsed (Young's band has no relation to the seminal American group). With his younger brother Angus as lead guitarist, the band played some gigs around Sydney. Angus was only 15-years-old at the time and his sister suggested that he should wear his school uniform on-stage; the look became the band's visual trademark. While still in Sydney, the original lineup (featuring singer Dave Evans) cut a single called "Can I Sit Next to You," with ex-Easybeats Harry Vanda and George Young (Malcolm and Angus' older brother) producing.

Alright the only things I have to complain about is Mars Volta being on the list, SOAD being so high and Skynyrd being so low. Otherwise I can live with everything else.

PS- Just wait till those stupid Radiohead fans see this they are going to be pissed.

PPS- Oh Yeah Tool should be lower also.

Edited by paulbd

Now comes The Big Surprise....its like an upset(at least to me)....

4. The Beatles

r6022_a.jpg

beatles.jpg

Bio, well if thats even possible

Excerpt:

Moreover, they were among the few artists of any discipline that were simultaneously the best at what they did and the most popular at what they did. Relentlessly imaginative and experimental, the Beatles grabbed a hold of the international mass consciousness in 1964 and never let go for the next six years, always staying ahead of the pack in terms of creativity but never losing their ability to communicate their increasingly sophisticated ideas to a mass audience. Their supremacy as rock icons remains unchallenged to this day, decades after their breakup in 1970.

Even when couching praise in specific terms, it's hard to convey the scope of the Beatles' achievements in a mere paragraph or two. They synthesized all that was good about early rock & roll, and changed it into something original and even more exciting. They established the prototype for the self-contained rock group that wrote and performed its own material. As composers, their craft and melodic inventiveness were second to none, and key to the evolution of rock from its blues/R&B-based forms into a style that was far more eclectic, but equally visceral. As singers, both John Lennon and Paul McCartney were among the best and most expressive vocalists in rock; the group's harmonies were intricate and exhilarating.

Rage at three.

... RAGE. AT. THREE.

Well. Thank you and good night.

This is still an infinitely better list than Jook's one, but bleh. Even as someone who enjoys Rage Against the Machine this is just disappointing.

Edited by GoGo Yubari