6. AC/DC

5. Queen

4. The Beatles

3. Rage Against The Machine

2.LED ZEPPELIN

zep2.jpg

Bio

Excerpt:

Did they invent heavy metal? Well, while it would be unfair to blame them for something as dreadful as, say, Motley Crue, they were certainly responsible for the trappings, images, and even the excesses that came to be known as that much-revered and much-hated musical form. The difference is they generally made it sound good...and often great, taking the white boy blues originally perpetuated by Cream and the Yardbirds to its wildest extremes.

Actually, Led Zeppelin rose from the ashes of the Yardbirds. Guitarist Jimmy Page had been leading a post-Jeff Beck unit called the New Yardbirds, which he disbanded in 1968 to create his dream "psychedelic blues" band. Recruiting his friend, bassist John Paul Jones (who'd played numerous sessions with artists, ranging from Donovan to Herman's Hermits and Petula Clark, along with Page throughout the '60s), Page found two talented novices in singer Robert Plant and drummer John Bonham. Who drummer Keith Moon reportedly gave the group its moniker when, after hearing their demo tapes, he predicted how the group would go over--but the Zeppelin seemed to take off immediately, eventually becoming one of the most popular bands in rock history. Their appeal never seemed to wane until after they disbanded, following Bonham's death from overindulgence in 1980.

Edited by Laice_

Yeah, I agree with the consensus.

Metallica had a few great albums, but Led stayed consistently great and classic throughout their career. The Black Album may be my favorite rock album ever, but alas it cannot surpass the amount of groundbreaking material Led came up with.

(And yes, this is coming from some who put Metallica higher than Led in the voting.)

I'm happy with the winner. They may not be the greatest band of all time, but they are sure as hell my favorite. Their first 6 albums were pure perfection to me.... Yes, even Load was an amazing album, IMO. And I love Reload, too... just not as much... After that, yeah, then maybe people can start to criticize their work.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Guest Mr McFarlane

I DEMAND A RECOUNT.

Agreed! Zeppelin should of been #1.

Dispite that and a few others this list wasnt half bad. Only huge complaint I have is that Zeppelin isn't #1, but what can I do about that.

Just read through this list and I noticed two glaring omissions:

No Stones

and

No Doors

The Doors not being here comes as a tremendous surprise to me, since it seemed they were universally worshipped during a Classic Rock Survivor game last year. As for the Stones, well, any list that places Tool, System of a Down, and Mars Volta (great album...BUT IT'S THEIR FIRST ONE) among the Top 25 of all time is bound to have a few that slip the radar. Just not sure how anyone can forget the Stones, though.

Good fucking point. How could you possibly put a band with one album on a list like this and leave out the Rolling motherfuckin' Stones!?

Because they have two albums?

The Rolling Stones were never any good. Their music was unexciting, seemed unable to elicit any kind of real response from many people, and overall, don't seem to have much musical talent either. Therefore The Mars Volta > The Rolling Stones. Simple :D

I'm not a Stones' fan at all, but I saw them live when they came to Downsview Park and they put on a hell of an amazing show.

In terms of longevity, record sales, and concert attendence alone, the Stones make a good case to make it on a list like this. Add the fact that they've made some pretty awesome music and put on a hell of a show... Yeah.

I'm not complaining about the list though. The good outweighs the bad and a lot of bands that belong to be on the are there. Some maybe not in their justified place, but voting can sometimes fuck that up.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy