Book Thread

Ananas

I've read two English class requirements, Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain and The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Huck Finn does work as a bit of mockery towards the absurd Southern culture pre-Civil War and as a decent adventure book.

As for Hound of the Baskervilles, it is a rather solidly written mystery that does create masterful suspense and a truly pondering plot, the norm for most of the Sherlock Holmes stories.

And...that's it.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ANMorgan

I just finished a book called "Pattern Recognition" by William Gibson. I normally don't get on with his writing style (Gibson invented Cyberpunk for those that don't know) but this was excellent. He should write non-sci fi all the time IMO, he's much better at it.

Edited by ANMorgan

Guest bukkake

I recently read "Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas" by Hunter S. Thompson and "Ham On Rye" by Charles Bukowski. Now I am inbetween "On The Road" by Jack Kerouac and "Hell's Angels" by Thompson.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished "Bad Guys" by Linwood Barclay, who's a feature writer for the Toronto Star, and a damn good one at that. It's apparently the sequel to "Bad Move", which I have yet to read but didn't have any trouble understanding the plot without it. This is some really good, light reading that should make for a pleasant couple of hours to anyone who gives it a shot.

I just finished reading 'Red Dragon' and 'Silence of the Lambs' by Thomas Harris. Really enjoyed both books, although I felt the Red Dragon movie had a far better constructed ending than the book.

You should also try to read Black Sunday by Harris, its his only non-Lecter book. The guy wrote four books and three of them were made into films and to be fair, Black Sunday could easily be made into one as well. Great book, very underrated.

Stephen King's Desperation.

esperation is the title of a horror novel by Stephen King. It was published in 1996 at the same time as its "mirror" novel, The Regulators.

Desperation is the story of several people travelling through Nevada who all get arrested for one reason or another (all of which are unjustified) by Collie Entragian, the deputy of the fictional ghost town of Desperation. The travellers, rather than truly being arrested are instead kidnapped by Entragian. On top of this, the deputy acts quite abnormally, and seems to have a supernatural ability to control desert animals. As a result, the travellers are forced to try to find a way to escape Entragian and the town. This is done with the help of David Carver, a young boy who is able to speak to God.

Due to David's interaction with God, the novel contains a philosophical depth on the subject of religion. While David is trying to escape Desperation along with the other travellers, he is often faced with situations where he must question his faith.

Desperation was released simultaneously with the novel The Regulators (published by King under the name Richard Bachman). The two novels share many similarities, most notably the cast of characters. The original hardcover versions of the novels had artwork on the cover that connected when the two books were placed side by side.

I'm near the end. I forgot how fucking creepy it is. Collie Entragian's one of my favourite villains right now.

Reading Desperation always felt kinda like reading a 'B-Movie', y'know? Not that it was poorly done or anything, just that it wasn't a critical hit and that it was fairly pulpy.

I've just been given a copy of 'Mein Kampf' to read, which could prove interesting.  Anyone ever read it?

According to my History teacher, it's really repetitive and he contradicts himself a lot and there's only one good chapter in it (forgot which one), so a word of warning to you. :)

I'm near the end of The Green Mile by Stephen King. It's a bloody good read - on the same level of quality as the film! :D

You should also try to read Black Sunday by Harris

Is it in the same vein? i.e. Is it about serial killers? That's my current obsession, unhealthy though it may be. On that, is Hannibal better than the movie?

Its about a plot by terrorist to nosedive a blimp into a stadium during the Superbowl. Its not in the same vein as is other books but is still an interesting read.

And I rate the book Hannibal much higher than the film.

I just finished up the Half-Blood Prince yesterday and it lived up to my expectations. Now that I went through the whole series this Summer, I have to wait about 2 years for the last one. :(

Today I'm going to start Slaughterhouse-Five. I don't know what to expect from it, but I've been told it's really good.

I'm currently reading Anselm Audley's Heresy. It's pretty good thus far, but nothing special. Still, I'll finish the trilogy, 'cause I'm kind of interested to see how it will end.