Book Thread

Ananas

There was a book thread back in the late stages of last year, but I didn't feel like bumping an 8 month old topic was necessary. So, in the vein of "What Film(s) Did You Watch Today", what books are you reading, or have read recently? Feel free to include your thoughts on these books.

In the last week or so I've read "Harry Potter And the Half Blood Prince" by J.K. Rowling and "The Unthinkable Thoughts of Jacob Green" by Joshua Braff. I'm currently working on finishing "Les Miserables" by Victor Hugo, "Silent Bob Speaks" by Kevin Smith, and "The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams.

I've posted my thoughts on "Half Blood Prince" already in its corresponding thread, and I think it's the second best of the Harry Potter series so far. Although it gets a little silly in the middle with all of the romantic melodrama, this is all part of the characters' maturation, and is to be expected in a novel involving 16 year olds. The twist at the end sets up for a book 7 that should not only be the darkest in the series, but if done properly it should also be the best.

"The Unthinkable Thoughts of Jacob Green" is written by Joshua Braff, who is the brother of "Garden State" and "Scrubs" star Zach Braff. It's an original, uncliched novel which reads almost like a Jewish "Catcher In the Rye". The story revolves around Jacob, a young boy (the story is told in 3 parts, and his age varies between 10, 13 and 15) who lives under the almost authoritarian rule of his father Abram, and is pulled towards rebellion by his older brother Asher. It's an interesting coming of age story that avoids the literary pitfalls of other likeminded works, and I'd highly recommend it to fans of dark comedy.

Your turn.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm always looking for something good to read, the only problem with me is that when I get into a book, I'll have it done in a day or two and want something to read for the next day.

I recently read a book by a local author(the name escapes me at the moment) it was called AsthmaticA. It was actually really entertaining. It's a collection of short stories all told by the same person at different points in his life. While the stories are ficticious, they're hilarious. The book is more for those I'd say between 16 or so to mid 20's as I figure those are who'd get the most out of the book. Still though, if you see this anywhere, pick it up, it's not incredibly long(I think it's between 125 and 200 pages I can't remember) but it's hilarious... somewhat dark, but hilarious nonetheless.

Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince

You've said what needed to be said perfectly, it is the second best series and a great read overall.

I so hate JK Rowling, but that's for another time.

The last book I read was Stephen King's Dark Tower 5. I'm also about midway through my second reading of Orwell's 1984.

Guest ShootingStar

I just read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for the first time since I was small... so I was to refresh my memory for the movie, cause the origional movie sucked when it came to sticking to the book... aaaand Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Anything before that was probably something Steven King. I'm pretty picky about books, so I don't read too many.

I'm highly anticipating the 4th installment in my favorite fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire titled A Feast for Crows. Unfortunately I haven't gotten confirmation of when the release is.

I'm currently read the classic Things Fall Apart for my school's summer reading. So far I am very impressed with it. I think it is an easy read, but despite that it has alot of depth and so accurately portrays tribal Africa that I'm itching to learn more about it.

I'm currently reading The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian, a collection of Robert E. Howard's early barbarian stories presented in their order of publication as well as The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle. I guess I'm on a classics kick lately.

I recently tried to read Practical Demonkeeping by Christopher Moore, a gift from a friend, but I found it's attempts at wit forced and feeble. Bleh.

Guest Morecello

The Stand and Salem's Lot by Stephen King are really good.

JAWS and The Beast by Peter Benchley. Better than the movies.

Anything from the Dear America Series. I know they are meant for young adults but some of them are quite good.

My last read was Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I got it via US Postal Service on the morning of the US release. I locked myself up in my room and read it straight through without stopping to eat or sleep. I think I may have went to the bathroom twice, though. Great book, in my opinion. I've yet to articulate which of the series is my favorite, but I know that it's either GoF, OotP, or HBP.

Before that, I reread through the first five books in the series twice. It's sort of a tradition for me, that I've been doing since the weeks leading up to the release of book four.

Tomorrow, I plan to start rereading the series again. And then I'll probably dust off my copy of the LotR trilogy. If you've yet to notice, I'm one of those diehard, over analytical Potter obsessive's that rereads the book constantly.

I started reading at a much faster pace this summer so quite a few books I have read.

Harry Potter and the Philosphers/Sorcerers Stone - JK Rowling

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - JK Rowling

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - JK Rowling

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - JK Rowling

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - JK Rowling

The Running Man - Stephen King writing as Richard Bachman (reread)

Survivor - Chuck Palahniuk (reread)

That is it so far this month... I think I might have missed a book. I would recommend all those books. If you have seen The Running Man movie don't judge the book by what you saw in the movie the book is way better then the movie. Survivor is probably Chuck Palahniuk's second best book behind Fight Club.

Anyways I am trying to decide what to read next. I will be reading them all soon but I am not sure which one first so here they are.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - JK Rowling (has been waiting for me to finish the other HP books)

Haunted - Chuck Palahniuk (just bought)

The Stand: The Complete & Uncut Edition - Stephen King (reread)

The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass - Stephen King (reread)

The Shining - Stephen King (got for christmas)

I finished The Da Vinci Code a few days ago. As an original story, taken purely as fiction and without the incredible hype, it would have been an enjoyable read. After the ridiculous amount of excitement and popularity that people have spewed all over it, I was left slightly dissapointed.

Like I said, it was an enjoyable read in itself, but I was always waiting for that moment where I'd think "Wow, that was amazing." and it never came. The book is seriously overrated, and is bursting with recognisable cliches if you know how Dan Brown thinks. Having read part of his first book, I had an idea of how he thinks, and TDVC came off as being incredibly similar, in long strokes. The details are different, but the gist of the books seem remarkable similar. Hero investigates unusual murder, gets drawn into conspiracy plot by secret society, falls in love with heroine partner and uncovers the secret. Bleh.

I bought "Haunted" by Chuck Palahniuk the other day, which stands as one of the best books I have ever read. Its original, weird, fucked up and funny as hell.

I also bought "Make Love The Bruce Campbell Way", a novel written by the man himself. Very funny, highly entertaining. I also recommend his autobiography "If Chins Could Kill" as well, also very funny, even more absorbing if you are an Evil Dead fan. The great thing is, for over a year now, that book has been on the shelf at my local bookshop that says "Staff Recommendations" above it.

EDIT - Yeah, Dan Brown books are overrated. I find his writing style to be very clumsy and boring.

Edited by FunkAsPuck

Not a novel, but I'm reading The Complete Headbanging History Of Heavy Metal.

Ian Christe? I have that book. It's pretty good, but Christe puts way too much focus on Metallica throughout the book. Yes, yes, we realize they were key in the 80's thrash scene, but he tries to relate everything back to Metallica.

I also have Lords of Chaos, but that's more about black metal & norse mythology than anything.

I'm reading the Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn right now, and I'm on Dark Force Rising, the second in the trilogy. Finished reading Heir to the Empire last week, and I'm absolutley loving this series. It's brilliantly written, and Zahn really seems to love the Star Wars universe, or at least have a total grasp on what attracted people to the films in the first place.

I'm reading it slowly though, like a chapter a day at some times because that's how I read books usually (seen as I spend a lot of time on the computer and whatever) but it's just an awesome book. I've also got the Jedi Academy Trilogy to read after this, so me got lots of reading coming.

Not a novel, but I'm reading The Complete Headbanging History Of Heavy Metal.

Ian Christe? I have that book. It's pretty good, but Christe puts way too much focus on Metallica throughout the book. Yes, yes, we realize they were key in the 80's thrash scene, but he tries to relate everything back to Metallica.

I also have Lords of Chaos, but that's more about black metal & norse mythology than anything.

Where the hell did you find that book? I've been looking for awhile and haven't found it, I don't want to buy it off the internet because my parents aren't the best people when it comes to buying that kind of stuff. If only I had my own credit card.

And yeah, the Headbanging History of Heavy Metal, while being relatively informative, puts way to much focus on Metallica and not enough on numerous other acts of the time.