Book Thread

Ananas

Last night I finished East Of Eden by John Steinbeck, which was awesome. These days I don't have much time for anything but the classics; it's so much easier to be reasonably certain that when you pick a book up it'll be worth your while.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm halfway through 'The Big Sleep' by Raymond Chandler, and I can say read it. Read it NOW!

This will be the second book I've read this year. Third if you count re-reading books, pretty much trebbling my record.

After reading book four in hospital, I recently bought the Black Tower boxed set and am starting from book one :P

Suffice to say it's living up to it's own hype :P

Oh, yeah, and I read Riders of the Dead too, but I've given Dan Abnett enough verbal fellatio on these forums.

Wait, that's actually not possible. He demands MORE verbal fellatio, damnit!

Edited by TheReilDeal27

I've just been given a load of sci-fi/fantasy books by my reading-obsessed girlfriend, who is determined to get me back into reading such things (I pretty much dropped reading sci fi about 6 years ago).

I've been started off easy with Timothy Zahn's 'Dragonback' series (aimed at younger teens). I was already a fan of Zahn from his Star Wars books, so that's all well and good. I've read the first book ('Dragon and Thief') and just finished the second ('Dragon and Soldier'). It's good stuff, as expected from Zahn, but dammit if I don't get sick of the main character saying "Skip it" every other page. ¬_¬

I brought Johathon Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke with me on my snowboarding trip, and I'm starting to wish I hadn't. Now, I'm not normally big on fantasy (Neil Gaiman being one of the exceptions) but I'm loving this. It's nothing too groundbreaking -- it's the story of two magicians in 19th century England, where magic has become a long forgotten art, now only studied by "theoretical magicians" and many a street entertainer that claim to be "practitional magicians" -- but it goes about describing Mr. Norrell's claims of being an actual magician (in the first 100 pages, he's brought a woman back to life, tricked the French army, and made stone carvings in a Cathedral come to life) with such authenticity, and his ultimate goal of bring magic back to England with such ambition, that I'm loving it.

Oh, and it's funny on occasions to boot. Take note, writers! This is how you do footnotes!