SPL Thread

Caught up with a guy from school who was at the match today and he said it was really one sided. Seriously though, this season looks like it will basically be Rangers year. Celtic look terrible, Camara just isn't up to the task in front of him and the other signings look pretty weak as well, although Nakamura may be the saving grace (if he doesn't look for a way out in January). This year though will be close for second. I'd like to see Hibs get there because Mowbry really deserves greater recognition for the job he's done but I can see Aberdeen pushing them. Hearts I'm not sure about, somehow the eastern Europeans don't convince me yet.

Oh and 'mon the Gers!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BOBO'S DONE A RUNNER

Aug 8 2005

Balde jets out to join Marseille but doesn't tell Celts

By Keith Jackson

BOBO BALDE'S Celtic career appears to be over after the defender jetted to France last night for signing talks with Marseille.

The Guinea international flew into the Cote d'Azur without informing the Parkhead club that he is close to reaching an agreement at the Velodrome.

But Record Sport understands a deal is imminent as Balde cashes in on a get-out clause in his contract which allows him to move on for free before the transfer window slams shut at the end of this month.

Manager Gordon Strachan will not be unduly perturbed by Balde's duplicity and was informed last night of the defender's intention to return to France - even though he'll earn only half his Celtic pay.

Balde's form has been poor in the last 12 months and Strachan even axed him for the opening day 4-4 draw at Motherwell after his calamitous performance in the shock5-0 capitulation against Artmedia Bratislava which cost the club a £10million ticket into the Champions League.

If the transfer goes through - with sources in France expecting a deal to be announced on Wednesday - it will free up a wage of around £30,000 a week which should allow Strachan to bring in a replacement in the next couple of weeks.

Marseille's sporting director Jose Anigo said: 'The Balde deal should be done. I have seldom seen somebody who has shown such a desire to sign for us.

'I think it's wonderful he should agree to join us on half the money Celtic paid him.'

The defender turned down a move to Middlesbrough in January and signed a new contract at Celtic Park.

But it left Balde with the opt-out clause and the Ligue 1 side now look set to take advantage.

Anigo added: 'He knows the club and he's ready to leave the stability of a good contract in Glasgow to come to Marseille. He has a strong personality and all of the essential qualities of a good defender

Thank fuck, I hated him with a passion!

I think he's rejected them. Him staying is probably better for us because he's a liability for them, on the other hand he is a completely wreckless Prick.

Looking forward to seeing Rangers in the Euro Qualifier tonight, hopefully we can at least get a score draw to take back to Ibrox. We really need to make it into the CL, especially after Celtic's shitness.

• 2 weeks later...

First Old firm game of the Season, half-time 1-0 Rangers :D Big Dado!

Alan Thompson's been rightfully sent off.

Anyone else watching this?

I know I'm late on this, and this is for all of those red cards for similar challenges to this so far...getting sent off for lunges at the ball is rubbish. Thompson went for the ball, wasn't studs up, and shouldn't have been red carded. A lot of the Premiership sendings off (Jenas the best example) shouldn't have been sent off.

I dunno, I just think this clampdown on slide challenges (which is, in my eyes, what it seems to be) is stupid. Yellow cards for pretty much all of the red card challenges I've seen so far this season would have sufficed.

I guess I'm just going for the difference between reckless and malicious.

Edited by rvdwannabe

thompson14yl.jpg

Speaks for itself in my opinion.

Seeing it from the original Angle, I thought yellow, but after seeing the tackle from other views it's a sure red for me. If Novo had failed to skip away it was a Leg breaker/Career ender, a ridiculous tackle to make, especially in an Old Firm game.

I'll try and get a video clip of it.

Also:

REFEREES chief Donald McVicar last night accused Alan Thompson of making a career-threatening tackle on Nacho Novo.

And McVicar's disgust over the challenge was heightened by the fact that only two weeks ago Rangers and Celtic attended a meeting where he warned them such tackles would be outlawed.

Meh, I retract my statement...I saw it on the news, and they didn't show it from a decent angle. Looked more reckless than malicious to me, but that is a little high. I still don't think he went out to injure him necessarily, but it was a fucking stupid challenge nonetheless.

Guest Booker T & The MG's

Kris Boyd's turned down Cardiff.

Cardiff not buoyed by Boyd

Kilmarnock striker Kris Boyd has rejected a move to Cardiff, despite the two clubs agreeing a £350,000 fee earlier this week.

The Scotland Under-21 international met with Ninian Park officials - and neither personal terms nor a medical proved a stumbling block.

But the player has decided against the move to the Championship after lengthy discussions with his family and advisers.

Killie general manager David Mackinnon and Jim Jefferies will now be hoping they can persuade Boyd to sign a new two-year deal with the club.

Mackinnon said: "Kris has advised us that he will not be moving to Cardiff. He will be back at Kilmarnock on Friday and we will discuss his future with him then."

Earlier, however, Jefferies admitted a move to the Bluebirds seemed like the right course of action for the forward.

He said: "First of all, you have got to get bigger clubs interested in you - and at bigger clubs, there are bigger squads of players.

"Kris is untried down there. Dave Jones has been watching him for a while and had him down for a week when he was at Wolves.

"He decided then he wasn't ready, and I agreed with that - and I still don't think he is ready for the Premier League.

"The Championship would be a great starting block for him."

The fee would have gone a long way towards relieving Killie's cash-flow problems.

The Ayrshire club have huge debts, and chairman Michael Johnston has admitted Killie simply could not afford relegation from the SPL.

Good news about Boyd. I like him but I just don't see him doing well down south.

Dundee United got knocked out of the Uefa Cup. It's sad in a way because it looks bad on the Scottish game, but it's funny beacuse it's Dundee United.

Jason Scotland says hello...

If Killie lose Boyd they're screwed. Why in god's name would they even think of selling their best player?

Hibs winning 3-0 against Rangers is shocking. What the fuck happened, did Waterreus get sent off or something?

Celtic won 4-0 today by the way, but it was only Dunfermline.

I really wish the SPL had two relegation spots a year. Needs more change each year.

Hearts fan are shitting themselves because they're top of the league. Afyer five games though. Still to play Rangers, Celtic and Hibs (I think) so they're got a lot of work to do if they plan on staying there.

Next matches are Rangers against Falkirk, and Celtic against Aberdeen. I can see Falkirk trying to pull a fast one, but it won't happen. And I can see a close game from Celtic and Aberdeen, but Celtic will probably will. Better strikers.

And for those who care, Hearts play Livingston I think, so I don't expect the 100% record to stop. Yet.

Edited by The Kraig