SPL Thread

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With teams like WBA, Everton, Wigan, Portsmouth, etc in the Premiership, I'm pretty sure Rangers would do just fine. Celtic are a bit weird right now, but they'd probably stay up.

The only reason the Old Firm wants in the Premiership is because of the money. I think both clubs have pretty much reached their limit in Scotland. They can't grow any more, and it's a problem.

And by saying the SPL was getting boring is because we've never had such a breakaway before, it was usually contested by at least two teams.

I wish some rich wanker would take over Rangers. <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Dundee United should have won that. Barry Robson shouldn't have delayed shooting and just smacked it. Still, can't take away from Rodriguez, it was a brilliant "save".

For those of you who didn't see the game, a United plaayer knocked a high through for Colin Samuel. Waterreus ran out to head it away and it went straight to Robson. Waterreus didn't try to get back and Robson hit it. As I said before, Rodriguez was on the line and headed it up onto the bar.

Guest Booker T & The MG's

Just to expand.

George Burley is no longer the head coach at Premier League leaders Hearts, BBC Scotland understands.

Burley arrived at Tynecastle in the summer and made a wonderful start, with the Edinburgh club going 10 games unbeaten to reach the top of the SPL.

However, rumours have persisted about an uneasy relationship between Burley and major shareholder Vladimir Romanov.

At this stage it is not clear if Burley has been sacked or walked away. Hearts will make a statement at 1800 BST.

The sensational news comes the day after Romanov announced a bid to take private control of the club.

Burley resigned his post at Derby County in June claiming his position was "untenable" after falling out with director of football Murdo Mackay.

At the time, Derby chairman John Sleightholme accused him of not making clear "his real reasons" for stepping down.

Burley moved to Tynecastle and set about rebuilding a team with the help of Romanov's considerable personal funding.

Unusually, Romanov himself identified several of Hearts' new faces, although Burley was adamant that he had "total control over selection".

Romanov, who now owns 55.5% of the shareholding at Hearts, arrived at Tynecastle in February.

And John Robertson resigned as manager in May after just seven months in the job.

Robertson, now boss at Ross County, was offered a lesser coaching role by Romanov but chose to step down.

Edited by Booker T & The MG's

Robson drops Hearts hint

Sir Bobby Robson has indicated he may be interested in the vacant managerial position at Hearts following George Burley's departure.

George Burley surprisingly left the SPL leaders on Saturday after just 113 days in charge at Tynecastle.

It has been suggested Burley had differences with club owner Vladimir Romanov but former England and Newcastle boss Robson insists he has no problem with the Lithuanian.

Robson, 72, said in the Mail on Sunday: "I didn't take the Hearts job before for personal reasons but my circumstances are different now.

"It's an attractive job and I left Mr Romanov on good terms."

Robson will be in Edinburgh this week, by chance, for the funeral of former Fulham and England team-mate Johnny Haynes.

To follow up on yesterday.

Hearts set for Robson move

Hearts chief executive Phil Anderton will be contacting Sir Bobby Robson with regard to the Tynecastle managerial vacancy.

The former England boss spoke with Anderton and Hearts majority shareholder Vladimir Romanov during the summer before George Burley was appointed.

But, after the shock exit of Burley at the weekend, the Hearts chief insists the 72-year-old will not be the only name on the shortlist.

Anderton said: "We have had some very prestigious names who have been put forward.

"It is an encouraging start and we have been going over the list we had before and drawing up the shortlist we want to talk to.

"One of the names which has come up is Sir Bobby Robson who we spoke to at length before and I will certainly be in touch with him - at the minimum to say 'hello' - and we will take it from there.

"We were delighted when we had the opportunity to talk at length to Sir Bobby last time around.

"He decided he could not join at that time and we understood that.

"We have kept in touch since then and he is somebody we respect for obvious reasons.

"I would be delighted to have a chat even just to say 'hello' because, who knows whether, in reality, this is something he would consider.

"Even if he did want to consider it, there are a lot of questions we will have to go through and, from our side, we would have to ask all the usual questions ourselves.

"So we are not getting carried away about speculation on that one."

The ex-Newcastle manager turned down the Jambos in June, citing family reasons.

Anderton added: "The reasons for him not coming last time are Sir Bobby Robson's and I am not going to put words into his mouth.

"Circumstances clearly have changed. We are five months on and the club is in a different position in terms of its league position and team investment.

"Sir Bobby would need to speak for himself but he is obviously not working for a football club full-time at the moment.

"That will be for me, in private, to be having a discussion with him.

"But don't pre-suppose because we are talking to Sir Bobby he is, therefore, the only candidate and the only person.

"I am not going to get ahead of myself and make any presumptions that someone of the calibre of Sir Bobby Robson would definitely be interested in coming here."

Meanwhile, Romanov has ruled already out Valdas Ivanauskas as a successor to George Burley.

The former FBK Kaunas head coach had emerged as a favourite to succeed the former Tynecastle boss, who departed the club suddenly at the weekend.

But the Lithuanian businessman insists the Bank of Scotland Premier League leaders will take their time on an appointment to ensure the right man for the job is selected.

However, despite a reported rift between Burley and the club's majority shareholder being at the centre of the ex-Scotland international's exit, Romanov thanked the outgoing boss for his contribution.

Romanov said: "I would like to place on record my thanks to George Burley for his input over the past four months.

"However, we will not be derailed from our ambition to deliver to the fans and the city of Edinburgh a club which is regularly competing at the highest levels of football in Scotland and Europe.

"I want the club to be winning the Scottish Premier League title on a regular basis as well as playing top quality football in the Champions League.

"I have kept all my promises to Hearts fans and want them to know that they and the club can look forward to further investment on and off the field.

"We will be staying at Tynecastle for the foreseeable future, we will be redeveloping the stadium to accommodate more and more people.

"And there will be funds available during both the January and summer transfer windows to further strengthen what is already a top quality group of players.

"However, we will not be rushed into a decision on a new manager - I have always said we will pay for quality and professionalism, and that does not mean taking the first individual .

"Can also state quite categorically that despite rumours to the contrary, Valdas Ivanauskas will not be a candidate to replace George Burley.

"He has been working at the club on a regular basis assisting with the coaching duties and this may continue in the future if the new manager feels it appropriate.

"The new manager can expect to arrive at a club which has a structure and facilities that are the envy of many others in the UK and abroad.

"Our minds are not closed to any candidate or approach to the job, but the person will be of the highest possible quality and able to deliver the success that the club and all Hearts fans deserve."

Hurray for midweek football

Aberdeen 2-0 Dundee United

Celtic 5-0 Motherwell

Dunfermline 1-2 Hibernian

Hearts 1-0 Kilmarnock

Inverness Caley 0-3 Falkirk

and result of the night for sure Livingston 2-2 Rangers, think they said on the radio that gers keeper fucked up for the 2nd livvi goal

Former Chelsea boss Claudio Ranieri has emerged as a shock contender for the Hearts manager's job.

The SPL leaders began their search for a new boss on Monday following the departure of George Burley over the weekend.

Sir Bobby Robson and Italian Nevio Scala - both of whom were considered before Burley took charge in the summer - have confirmed their interest in the post and are due to hold talks in the coming days.

However, it is now understood that Ranieri is the latest big-name to express an interest in the job.

"We can confirm that the club have had talks with various applicants, with both Ranieri and Robson being two of those applicants," a Hearts spokesman said.

"That is in line with the type of pedigree that we are looking for and we are encouraged by the discussions so far."

The Italian has been out of work since February when he left Valencia after just a matter of months in charge.

Before that Ranieri was sacked by Chelsea when they moved to bring in Jose Mourinho from Porto.