Official Civilization Thread

Guest Mr McFarlane

Bump.

Just bought Civilization: Colonization and its a lot of fun. I loved the New World type scenarios from the previous games and this is a more in depth version of that. I like the micromanagement, import/export etc. Worth 15 quid.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed, I'm a massive fan of the original Colonization and was immensely looking forward to this new version. Haven't had much chance to play it, but so far it's looking like everything I hoped it would be. I would've been happy with just a new version of the original with Civ IV graphics and the same gameplay, but they've really put some thought into it and tweaked a lot of little things that just make it very different. The traditionalist in me will probably want to go back and play the original again at some point, but this is a very good buy for the price. I've never played Civ IV so the interface is taking a little getting used to, but once my head's around that I'll be right into it. It supports multiplayer, but I take a silly amount of time to think every turn so I'll get used to everything first and then we'll maybe get an EWB New World invasion.

EDIT: Although to be honest, I'm not a fan of some of the new icons as it's hard to tell exactly what they're supposed to be and certain units look mostly the same to me so I have to hover over each to see what they are. The 1994 version probably has it beat on the clarity front.

Edited by Scott McFly

The Treaty of Tordesillas limited Portugal's interest in 'The New World' to a mere chunk of Brazil. Since they were therefore focused more on African and Asian colonisation, I guess it's sensible enough to exclude them from what is a very America-centric game.

I get the impression while I'm playing Colonization that I'm not achieving as much as quickly as I ought to be. It takes so much time to get the production of any kind of semi-decent trade commodities up and running, I end up thinking "...Should I have been expanding or building soldiers and twatting people or something?".

It's like I feel as though I'm being inept, but I'm not sure how. :(

Oh, and fuck Lumber. What's the point of being able to produce a gazillion units of it when it's cheap as fuck and can't be manufactured into something more snazzy like Coats or Rum or Cigars etc.

Edited by stokeriño

Then you find an expert carpenter and now you can build faster, then build the carpenters house upgrade.

See, this is the kind of shit that I miss when let loose in the game on my own.

And I do sell the lumber in Europe, but it's dirt cheap so a bit of a waste of time and cargo space.

Then you find an expert carpenter and now you can build faster, then build the carpenters house upgrade.

See, this is the kind of shit that I miss when let loose in the game on my own.

And I do sell the lumber in Europe, but it's dirt cheap so a bit of a waste of time and cargo space.

Carpenter's house upgrade is a Lumber Mill if you're looking for it in the help.

If you've got excess lumber, I think you only get 1 gold per unit for it in Europe? You might get more if you use a wagon train and try to trade with a native settlement or a foreign colony. I've never tried to trade that locally so I'm not sure what you'll be offered, but at least it'll be quicker than shipping it to Europe on a boat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've got back into the game in an insane way since getting the two EP's, they make the game way more interesting, especially in marathon games. I'm on Noble setting for hardness and I'm within the top three Civ (that may be awful by many of your standards) but I want to go higher on difficulty, but the only way to do that and not suck beyond all belief is to get more involved in the actual city controls beyond deciding what they build and the such, so does anyone have any tips or helpful advice for that because I've never even looked at the stuff before, I always go auto.

Apparently the jump from Noble to Prince is meant to be quite steep.

I've also been getting back into this game too but I don't have the attention span to keep up with it late in the game. I love the early periods when everyone is just club swingers claiming land and begin to develop. But the difficult thing for me is as we get late on I just can't seem to be involved well into the AD's.

With micro managing just develop how you plan. Do you use the city governor options? You should know early on what kind of city you have, obviously based on where you are. Then it's just a case of making sure you keep mines working for production hammers, or food for GP farming or coins for commerce etc.

Apparently the jump from Noble to Prince is meant to be quite steep.

I've also been getting back into this game too but I don't have the attention span to keep up with it late in the game. I love the early periods when everyone is just club swingers claiming land and begin to develop. But the difficult thing for me is as we get late on I just can't seem to be involved well into the AD's.

With micro managing just develop how you plan. Do you use the city governor options? You should know early on what kind of city you have, obviously based on where you are. Then it's just a case of making sure you keep mines working for production hammers, or food for GP farming or coins for commerce etc.

So what you're saying is don't build everything, build what you need as and when you need it? I've been building everything a) because I couldn't afford to build more units and b) because I needed to boost certain stats, but it's a pain in the ass balancing EVERYTHING in EVERY city, especially later in the game. One thing I do seem to be pretty good at is colonising the 'new world' without the need to declare a vassal state (I almost always play on the Terra landmass because I find it's the most interesting, everything can change once the other continents begin gaining Civs, especially if people are at war), so even if I'm behind I tend to catch up. Also, I never seem to have enough people defending my cities and I can't seem to take other cities very easilly, I'm assuming that's partially because the game has been re-tooled since the original release to make it harder, but is there any suggestion you can make re: the placement of units? Better around the borders? Better spread out all over the place? Choose carefully which types of units you use?