Official Civilization Thread

Guest Mr McFarlane

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's good...the graphics are nice...I didn't care for the controls. Civ just feels like a game I should be using a mouse with, not a controller.

Well that and I spent the whole damn time trying to break into Thebes. Easiest difficulty and the fucking archer army mowed down three legion armies, a catapult army and a handful of warriors & horsemen.

It's good...the graphics are nice...I didn't care for the controls. Civ just feels like a game I should be using a mouse with, not a controller.

Well that and I spent the whole damn time trying to break into Thebes. Easiest difficulty and the fucking archer army mowed down three legion armies, a catapult army and a handful of warriors & horsemen.

I rarely am violent towards other civs when I play which I guess makes me boring, but I prefer to be at peace with as many people as possible so that if anything ever happens (Russia declares war on you! blah blah blah!) I have a whole fuckload of allies to potentionally help me out. That said, the last play through Civ Rev's demo that I did around the year 0 AD I attacked Montezuma and my fucking MILITIA wiped out 3 of his Legions. :D He called the war off right after that, bwahahaha. I lost two Militia men, but hey. It was great.

Do you know if you can play the demo with friends Cloudy? I checked the menu today and it just showed one option and Friends was blanked out.

And if you can, we should try to get something going tomorrow. I'll teach you for playing like a woman.

I dunno, I know you can play Multiplayer on the demo but when I tried it took foreeeeeeeeeeever to find someone else that was playing so I quit and played a single player game.

I've only ever played the Age of Empire franchise, but the Civ games seem a lot more interesting and in depth. Anybody play both and have a clear cut favorite?

They're two completely different games. AoE is a heavily combat orientated real time strategy game, whereas Civ is a turn based game that focuses on long term planning, and is less combat orientated.

Fuck China. >_>

I was playing a game as Spain in Civ IV that was going swimmingly by my standards - at peace with everyone, quietly progressing my tech and expanding my borders. Then around the 1500s Japan declares war on me, which made little sense - we'd be allies since the BCs and Tokugawa, the last time I checked, was friendly towards me. Whatever though - they razed one of my cities and Kagoshima revolted and joined the Spanish Empire. Score. >_> After that Japan called the war off (short, eh?) and all was well until about 400 years later.

China, one of my better allies, comes to me asking me to declare war on America and cancel my trade deals with them. Fair enough, America's doing terrible at the time and China is one of the biggest empires in the game. I just figured China would take care of it, their war after all - and that Americans wouldn't land in my area for a good few turns, seeing as I was all the way on the other side of the map from them. One turn later and American Caravels show up outside Barcelona carrying Catapults, Horse Archers, Knights, and Grenadiers. I threw every unit I had at them but they still captured Barcelona, so I started producing Catapults and Grenadiers of my own.

And then.. they capture my fucking capital city! Madrid, now an American city. Fuckers. Thankfully I was making my units at other cities and they finished quickly, so I was able to retake Madrid. A few tech upgrades later and now I have Cannons, so I sent Grenadiers, Cannons and Archers to Barcelona which they recaptured. Two or three turns after that Washington comes to me wanting peace so I accepted, not wanting to have any more Americans landing on my shores to take my cities.

And throughout the whole thing, China? Nowhere to be found. They're the ones who asked me to go to war with them against the Americans, and not once did I get any help from them when I needed it - even though they had a ship full of units stationed right outside one of my harbor cities. :angry:

Japan are generally great big warmongers, since their AI is set to be aggressive, militaristic and all that. Thankfully I've found that they're not usually particularly good at it...

And frankly, the fact that America were doing badly and China had one of the biggest empires in the game...what MORE reason did you need to refuse China's request? The only instance in which you should agree to side with a powerful nation against a weaker nation is if you think you can capture more of the target nation's cities for yourself rather than allowing them to all go to, in this case, China - and you didn't seem to be militarily prepared for that at the time. Let's be honest: China didn't want your help. China most certainly didn't NEED your help. China wanted to divert the American forces between separate fronts and, hey, if the American and Spanish fools happen to weaken each other in the process, all the better for Chinese glory.

Helping a big player become more powerful won't work out well for anybody in the end. Trying to help him and getting twatted by the Americans in the process is the worst of both worlds. China played you good. :P

Edited by stokeriño

Well, when I say badly I don't mean they're doing absolutely awful, but on the scoreboard they were in third to last place..

And I didn't get twatted :shifty: I got my cities back and the Americans suffered as many (or more) losses than I did so THERE :@

Well I was gonna move my capital anyway so there. :crying:

I think what I'm gonna do next is after I gain the capability to build tanks (should be within the next five turns) I'm going to amass a metric fuckton of Machine Guns, Tanks and Marines and then obliterate Japan. (H)

... more realistically, given how I play, I'll capture Edo or some other city and then in the next turn be overrun by Japanese units.