Official Civilization Thread

Guest Mr McFarlane

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Well - I got it today for X-Mas, then ran a test and found out my Video Card isn't good enough.

Video RAM: Required - 32 MB , You have - 64.0 MB

Video Card 3D Acceleration: Required - Yes , You have - Yes

Video HW Transform & Lighting: Required - Yes , You have - No

So like - what do I need to do? :P

:angry:

What is this "Video HW Transform & Lighting", and why is it so damned important that it's the ONLY thing I lack to play all the games I'd want to (Civ IV, AoE3, C&C Generals, etc).

Except Guild Wars, which requires "Pixel Shading" instead.

Blast it all.

Awesome! Finally completed the first game I started on this in the year 1977 on UN Election. Very cool game. But now it feels like a pain to build up an empire that big again!

I dont play the game consistently because I've got a heavy reading-orientated university course and I do tons of stuff for the cinematography society so its been on and off. No way could you finish a game in an hour unless you were playing tiny maps. Standard game no way...

As I usually play continents ala real life, my strategy is to found as many religions as quickly as possible and have open borders so that any other races on my continent take on my religions and I can map them out. Then I tie up trade deals with races on other continents so they rely on me and wipe out the ones on my continent so I can lock it down. From there I spend ages just building up my continent, and pushing my technology as fast and as far as I can whilst keeping everybody on friendly terms with me through trade. (as I control most of the religions, my 'balance of trade' allows me to offer races a lot more than they give me, thus they are happier and my tax of the religions keeps my balance happy enough). Eventually I get to a point where im streaks ahead and I just roll over the countries which have been annoying me, and then push the UN vote through. UN votes easy when your like thousands of points ahead of everybody because you have enough votes of your own to win lol. Conquest would just take a little longer on the same path.

on a city basis, no matter my level i always build - Barracks + Granary + Temple in that order before the city does anything else. And the garrison tends to be transfered from cities deeper in my territory and thus not in danger.

Before anyone buys CivIV.

Make sure it works on your machine. That is most efficient on IE.

Thanks for that link Benji, that site is wicked!

Except it tells me i can't run every game i've tried on there without a better video card............................ including games like STKOTOR which i've had about a year and a half of good play time and The Sims 2 which i've played plenty since i brought it......................

It's mostly a guideline, not the be all end all, it's up to you risking it seeing as most places don't accept returns on PC games.

• 1 year later...

So, I've had the game for about a year and a half now or so, and just recently got highspeed and I figured I wanted to try my luck online. Well...I signed up at GameSpyId.com and got my account and all that shit, but every time I attempt to log in on the game it says "Log in attempt failed."

Anyone care to help me out here?

• 8 months later...