Last Minute Poker Tips

lafunky xxvii

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mr McFarlane

Play your good hands the same way you'd play your crap hands. Which means you can set up traps and such.

Suited connectors (78 Suited, 65 Suited, so on) should alllllways be played.

Oh and always fold two aces. >_>

The 7-2 offsuit is the greatest hand in poker

Go all in with it everytime. :shifty:

Seriously, because you're just starting out, I suggest playing supertight and only playing these hands.

A-A, K-K, A-K, Q-Q, A-Q, J-J, 10-10, A-J, K-Q, Q-J

If you have the top 3 hands (A-A, K-K, or A-K), you can almost always justify going all in pre-flop, unless you have A-K and you believe that your opponent has a better hand (like K-K or A-A)

Tips stolen from Phil Hellmuth's "Play Poker Like The Pros"

Edited by Magus978

Don't always play with an ace in your hand just cos it's an ace. If people bid higher than you're willing to go, fold.

Don't get carried away, in fact the times when I'm most successful is when I'm only seeing the flop about 15-20% of the time. Don't bother playing every hand.

If you have JJ, QQ, KK or AA it's normally worth playing.

Throw in the odd bluff but we're talking about 1 in 20 hands or so if not less frequently. Otherwise play honestly.

You want to be winning above 60% of hands you see your opponents cards for. Don't be afraid to fold with five cards down if your opponent raises steeply.

I'm a defensive player.

Play the first couple of hands to get a feel of how your oppenants play. After that I would stick to being pretty conversative. And play on card you feel are like good cards. I myself like to play alot of tens. Lets see suited connectors like 5-6 of clubs are alright to play also.

Patience is a virtue.

If you think your opponent's got you beat.....then fold. There's no shame in it.

Again, play only premium hands:

AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK, or AQ.

If you feel a little risque, play these good hands: 10-10, 9-9, 8-8, or A-J.

Fold everything else, except for a suited connector.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS Fold any hand when there's no possible way you could flop an inside straight-draw. Meaning: 7-2, 8-2, 8-3. These are the worst hands you can get.

Go All-In with a Full-House, or raise like holy hell if you're not playing No-Limit.

Edited by Fleet Admiral Mick

I was in the exact same position you were a few months back, if you remember. If you're playing with reasonable people, you should be able to pick up on it fast and learn how the others play. If you're lucky, the people there will actually talk about how the others play.

My advice is to simply find a good bluffing style, and to pinpoint exactly who is going to bluff the most. I have a very... unprofessional playing style. They used to be able to tell when I had a good hand, and they started joking about it.... so I caught on and started acting like that when I bluffed.

No... sunglasses at the table just aren't cool anymore ... if they ever were.

I used to be taken too seriously. I would give this look all the time when I had something. And I'd never bluff. But I became more unpredictable and got a poker face of some sorts.

First few times out, you'll probably suck it up. Watch, learn, hope the buyin isn't that high right now.

Always take note of how much players have in there stack, as you don't want to be folding a playable hand to someone who is just trying to build up there chips.

Try not to show obvious patterns (ie betting big pre-flop with a decent hand) as the other players will catch on.

I nearly always fold pocket pairs (unless they're K's or A's). I have no clue how to play any other pocket pairs. A higher card always comes out in the flop and I figure that the other people who went with me pre-flop would have to be sat on K's or A's so I fold as soon as any of them bet.

I nearly always fold pocket pairs (unless they're K's or A's). I have no clue how to play any other pocket pairs. A higher card always comes out in the flop and I figure that the other people who went with me pre-flop would have to be sat on K's or A's so I fold as soon as any of them bet.

Yeah, having something like two nines, especially when you're playing against a large number of people, can lead you into going in too hard when all it takes is an ace or king or queen or jack or even ten to come out and you#re most likely behind.

How did it go anyways?

There's only one piece of advice I can give.

Always, Always, ALWAYS Raise with J-3. Go all in if it's no limit.

LET THE POWER OF CBL COMPEL YOU!

Might be too late, but oh well....

As the number of players dwindles, don't be afraid to start betting more and more on weaker hands. With only two players in with you, a pocket pair above 7 is pretty good.

Don't wear sunglasses at the table.  it was cool a year ago...now it's just tacky.

What's cool now are those glasses with the eyes that boing out on springs. They rawk at the Poker table. And cause people to take you more seriously.