Football Manager 2006

lazy_arse

Guest Koupa Troopa

Started a new game as Hull because my LLAMA game was sucking the life out of me and all the summers signings by Hull have excited me much so.

For some reason I turned on the South African Premiership because I like to toss leagues like that in for flavor and I've discovered the player with the greatest name ever.

walazajw0.png

Yes, I put a bid in for him. >_>

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow. Yes, I've been playing this game all night. I haven't been this addicted in years. Anyway, the sorting of the Italian league fucking sucks. I bring Milan from a 4th place side into serious league contenders in two months. We draw with Juventus on points who go onto win the league, all because they won an extra game. =/

Screw it, the finances here are brilliant, and have allowed me to have a massive spending spree. They've spent nothing, in 5 years, and it's all added up. I've spent my lot. £170m on 8 players.

Reina - £28m

Taylor - £23m

Senderos - £22m

Kiyl - £10m

Vukecevic - £37m

De Jong - £18m

Pablo - £27m

Ashley fucking Cole - £20m

:@

Quite a fantastic squad. The teams here in Italy are lacking quality. Juventus will be a threat, so will Roma, but thats about it, unless the teams go out and spend. Inter had a horrible time under Allardyce. :S

Edited by Lost Soul

After playing with Cambridge City for a couple of seasons with LLM rules, I can't see myself going to a big club again. My team is shit and we're probably going to get relegated, but fuck, I'm enjoying this game more than any other I've played.

Got twatted 5-0 by Stevenage (two players sent off, and my goalie picked up a knock so I played the last 15 with a half-fit keeper), another team fighting the drop, but just beat Halifax 2-0 away, and they're up in 6th.

What is LLM and how do I play LLM?

Let’s make one thing clear, LLM is an entire playing method, not simply picking and playing with a club from a lower division than you generally would. To suggest otherwise would be similar to claiming that Karate is simply an Eastern version of boxing with a bit of kicking involved.

That said, it is a game. Too many over-complicated rules would remove all the enjoyment from the game and as such the following guidelines are all you need to get into the LLM spirit.

1. Attribute masking MUST be turned on. If not, you're not a LLaMa and there'd be no sense in guidelines 3 and 4 existing wink.png

2. Play the game the way it was programmed. Install, apply any official SI Patches, choose your team and play the game. Do NOT use editors or third party updates (i.e. Updates on squads, competitions, etc, made up by persons other than SI). The reason being that the data provided by SI is theoretically as impartial as you can get (perhaps not perfect, but certainly not biased). Third Party Updates are done by persons who MAY be tempted to give an advantage/disadvantage to favourite/hated clubs or players. It doesn’t benefit SI to provide faulty data, so use their data.

Editors are disliked by LLaMas for two reasons. They can corrupt your game and they allow you to cheat, whether it’s producing super-players or swapping Teams from one Division or Nation to another.

3. SWYCT (Scout Where You Can Tour) or SYB (Scout Your Borders). This is a commonly used guideline to determine where you should be able to send your scouts. The financial limitations in lower leagues make it highly unlikely that managers would send a scout from England to say, Africa or South America. The best way to decide where you could send them is to look at where FM will allow you to tour, in the UK this would probably be any of the Home Countries and Ireland, and only send your Scouts there. Another theory suggests that it would probably be fair to scout your borders, particularly when playing in continental Europe (i.e. send scouts from a German club to surrounding nations like Denmark, Austria, France, Poland). Obviously, as you move up the league ladder, other nations would become realistic scouting options.

There are of course, several nations throughout the world that have historic links with others and as a result have a considerable number of foreign players that perhaps wouldn't normally be there, e.g. Brazilians in Portugal, Senegalese and North African Nationals in France or Middle Africans in Holland. The way LLaMas view this problem is usually to employ one scout of the nationality of the country the players come from, e.g. use a Brazilian scout in Brazil for a Portuguese club, and only use him to scout in Brazil.

Another exception to the scout before you buy rule comes in the form of knowledge gained from having watched players. That is to say that it can be argued that if you play against another team twice or more in a season that you would gain enough knowledge of players in that team or through watching how the players do in the league against other clubs, to make a bid for them without having to rely on a scout report.

4. Player search screen. Use of the player search screen is something of a grey area. Some LLaMa’s use the search screen to shortlist players in their area and then send off their scouts to find out how good a player he really is. Other more zealous LLaMas avoid this screen entirely letting their scout do the job for which he was hired - finding players. Regardless of what you tendency is with the search screen, no player should ever be signed unless he is first given the once over by one of your scouts. If you choose to ignore his advice, that’s your prerogative – you make the final decision; you are the manager after all.

5. Signing Staff. LLaMas usually only sign coaches and physios that speak the language of the players they’ll be involved with. In the UK that would mean those who spoke English (not necessarily as their main language though). Scouts on the other hand don’t have day to day contact with players on a verbal communication level and can rely on other skills to identify worthwhile signings. It’s sometimes extremely difficult to sign a scout and you have to sign a foreign guy, so it’s looked upon as a “needs must” situation when signing scouts. Also, given that the Job Centre in FM is notoriously unreliable, staff searching by attribute is considered to be an ok way to find a staff member.

6. Signing players on loan or trial. The exception to the all players should be scouted guideline comes in the form of loans and trialists, where use of the player search using minimum filters (e.g. for loan, free) is considered to be ok.

7. Tactics and LLamas. Best to start off using a default tactic and altering formations or giving individual or team instructions to players based on the strengths or weaknesses of your squad, and NOT to use other people’s tactics or formations. The idea of LLM is finding out the errors of your ways though trial and error. Using other people’s tactics is not the way of the LLaMa.

Which clubs are classed as LLM?

Perhaps the easiest way to define LLM clubs is to give an example from the league that most members are familiar with (i.e. England). By definition, a Lower League Club should come from the lowest division in any given nation In England, that would be the feeder leagues known as the Conference North or Conference South. However, given that this would mean running a total of 7 divisions and some PCs may not be up to the task, it is generally accepted that a LLaMa should start in the lowest AVAILABLE division in the country of choice. That is to say that if you have a PC which can only handle for example, Premiership to League 2, then you should start in League 2.

A good way to choose you LLM team is to visit the venerable and all-knowing Frank. Frank is only wise in the ways of FM06 however and if you're playing FM05 you will need to visit Frank's brother called, erm, Frank?!?!

Started a new game as Hull because my LLAMA game was sucking the life out of me and all the summers signings by Hull have excited me much so.

For some reason I turned on the South African Premiership because I like to toss leagues like that in for flavor and I've discovered the player with the greatest name ever.

walazajw0.png

Yes, I put a bid in for him. >_>

Edited by TheReilDeal

You can. I was England Under-19 manager in my Walsall diary (cheap plug :P).

Although they were nice enough to sack me after winning the European Championships for having an awful tournament. Yeah, makes sense eh?

Can you apply for those jobs, or do they get offered to you?

They just get offered to you as far as I know. I got it when I was in the Championship with Walsall.