Champions League Thread

AJ

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Booker T & The MG's

For me Fletcher is more effective playing as an attacking midfielder.

Fletcher in recent games for Scotland (excluding Belarus) has been very effective in a more attacking role, with Ferguson or Dailly cleaning up behind him, that was highlighted by his goal and two asissts against Slovenia. Under Berti Vogts he drifted in and out of the game, and I could never figure out his position, but Walter Smith has given him a licence to go push forward, Smith obviously knew that from his time spent at Man U he could play a attacking midfielder role.

Obviously that he can't play an attacking midfielder role for Man U like he is doing now for Scotland on a regular basis, because of the quality and competition for places, but that his most effective position for me.

In other news: the Betis keeper is utter shite :D

Good first half for Chelsea. I like the idea of playing Cudicini tonight, getting him into the swing of big games just in case anything happening to Cech. We looked like we might concede about 10-15 minutes in and we had to clear a header off the line and we lucky that one of their strikers missed a sitter. After that we seemed to settle a little and got into the stride of things. I thought when Essien knocked it to Drogba he was going to fuck it up considering his miss earlier. Got the deflection but it looked to be going in anyway.

As for the second, I know there's going to be people saying that it shouldn't have stood but I think it was fair to allow it. The goalie dropped it and didn't have a solid grip of it at the time. Ricky was definitely entitled to go for it.

Bring on the second half :D

Drogba off for Crespo at half time. Seen that coming. Drogba looked like he hurt himself a few times in the first half.

Edited by Turbonegro

Guest sahyder2k5

In what universe was that not a penalty and a dive? The ref must have confused Joaquin for Drogba >_>

This game is boring me, it's all Betis attacks, Chelsea defends, Chelsea long balls, repeat over and over.

I'm intrigued at seeing Diarra play.

Ha, Woodgate scored, and not in his own net.

Edited by sahyder2k5

Just watched the Rangers gam, first half they played as well as I've seen them play this season, 3 golden chances but once again finishing let them down, Hemdani looks like a good player and is just the kind of midfielder Rangers need in these games as he allowed Feguson to get forward.

The second half though was poor, Rangers lacked everything they showed in the first half and they only have themselves to blame now if they don't go through from this group. Artmedia had 1 chance in both halfs and Debnar looked good but really nothing else of note, there reaction to drawing at Ibrox showed they were happy to leave with anything

Porto winning 2-0 did them no favours either as it put them right back in contention, a straight battle for 2nd place would be better then a totally open group.

100% agree that I don't think he ever really wanted to leave Ibrox and join Blackburn, he was forced out because Rangers badly needed the money, and Ferguson was there only asset left who could command a sizeable transfer fee.

He's in a comfort zone against some of the SPL teams, it's below his ability, but there really isn't any comfort zone when you are performing the way he does against the likes of Inter Milan and Italy, you have to go to another level to perform in those games and he's shown in the big games that he is a player of geniune quality.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ringo Masterson

And it's back this week.

Tuesday's fixtures:

PSV Eindhoven 1 - 2 AC Milan

Schalke O4 2 - 1 Fenerbahce

Olympiakos 0 - 2 Lyon

Rosenborg 1 - 1 Real Madrid

Liverpool 1 - 0 Anderlecht

Real Betis 1 - 2 Chelsea

Artmedia Petrzalka 1 - 1 Rangers

Inter Milan 2 - 1 FC Porto

Wednesday's fixtures:

Club Brugge 2 - 0 Rapid Vienna

Juventus 1 - 0 Bayern Munich

Arsenal 2 - 0 Sparta Prague

FC Thun 0 - 3 Ajax

Barcelona 3 - 1 Panathinaikos

Werder Bremen 0 - 1 Udinese

Benfica 2 - 2 Villareal

Lille 0 - 2 Man. Utd.

Tuesday's fixtures:

PSV Eindhoven 1 - 3 AC Milan

Schalke O4 1 - 1 Fenerbahce

Olympiakos 0 - 3 Lyon

Rosenborg 1 - 3 Real Madrid

Liverpool 2 - 0 Anderlecht

Real Betis 1 - 3 Chelsea

Artmedia Petrzalka 1 - 2 Rangers

Inter Milan 3 - 1 FC Porto

Wednesday's fixtures:

Club Brugge 2 - 0 Rapid Vienna

Juventus 2 - 1 Bayern Munich

Arsenal 2 - 0 Sparta Prague

FC Thun 0 - 2 Ajax

Barcelona 4 - 1 Panathinaikos

Werder Bremen 2 - 3 Udinese

Benfica 2 - 2 Villareal

Lille 1 - 4 Man. Utd.

Did anybody just see that sending off in the Liverpool match?

I'm guessing he must have said something racist. It looked like he said " fucking 'something' " and then the black guy looked at the referee and it was a straight red.

Commentators seem clueless but that's what I think it was.

Guest Ringo Masterson

No, but I did see Didier Drogba act like a complete twat face in the Betis match.

EDIT:

Gallas just gone out of his way and punched Dani right in the back of the neck, purposely, which should be a red card and a suspension IMO, of course, no one sees it

Edited by Ringo Masterson