The EWB Band 100 Results

Jook

Personally I don't agree with the top seven of the list, but that's me. The Beatles should be first IMO. Nirvana in ninth works for me, I don't find them overrated what so ever. I nearly detest SOAD, sorry but I have no clue why they are anywhere near the top ten. RHCP should be a little higher I feel too, good list none the less.

Because they're better than Nirvana and the Beatles.

Your opinion, fair enough, but in an all time top 100, I wouldn't have SOAD anywhere near the top 10, where Beatles and Nirvana are both reasonably justifiable.

Obviously I know this isn't supposed to be an all time top 100, before someone points that out.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I don't agree with the top seven of the list, but that's me. The Beatles should be first IMO. Nirvana in ninth works for me, I don't find them overrated what so ever. I nearly detest SOAD, sorry but I have no clue why they are anywhere near the top ten. RHCP should be a little higher I feel too, good list none the less.

Because they're better than Nirvana and the Beatles.

Your opinion, fair enough, but in an all time top 100, I wouldn't have SOAD anywhere near the top 10, where Beatles and Nirvana are both reasonably justifiable.

Obviously I know this isn't supposed to be an all time top 100, before someone points that out.

I fail to see how Nirvana are justifiable to be near the Top 10, they're a horrible, overrated band.

SOAD are more overrated going by this list. Since when did they even deserve to be in the top ten? I'm not bitching about the list itself, but they don't do ANYTHING for me to even say they deserve to be anywhere near the fucking top twenty for that matter. You cant sit and blast Nirvana for coming 9th, while SOAD finish a head of them without really deserving too.

SOAD are probably one of the best rock bands going right now, their music is good and has meaning. Let's see if you understand this, if a band makes good music, they deserve to be a list such as this. This list isn't about "what a band has done for the music industry", it's about how good a band is. System definately deserve a high placing for being one of the best bands about.

That's bullshit, really. Just because a banned influenced music doesn't mean that everyone's going to say "yes, that banned was awesome, oh yeah, baby baby yeah, good band".

Fuck off.

Wow, that was... really pointless. Thanks for flaming me for... absolutely nothing Summers.

Since when is fuck off flaming? Get the stick out your ass. I said my opinion. It was hardly pointless. The bolded part has a point. Don't be a cock, yeah?

Actually, as has been stated about four or five times, this list was supposed to be about what everyone listened to right now. It might be odd to haves Beatles and Zep Zep up so high, but a lot of people still listen to them today. I am sure a few of the votes were made misled, however I know myself and a lot of others made our votes with what the list was supposed to be about in mind.

Since when is fuck off flaming? Get the stick out your ass. I said my opinion. It was hardly pointless. The bolded part has a point. Don't be a cock, yeah?

"My opinion" is getting really fucking old, in my opinion.

Edited by Apple Shampoo

Actually, as has been stated about four or five times, this list was supposed to be about what everyone listened to right now. It might be odd to haves Beatles and Zep Zep up so high, but a lot of people still listen to them today. I am sure a few of the votes were made misled, however I know myself and a lot of others made our votes with what the list was supposed to be about in mind.

"My opinion" is getting really fucking old, in my opinion.

We wasn't talking about the list, Shammy. You and I were talking about how if a band influenced music they'd have to be good.

Wait, so you can post your opinion, but when I post mine, it's getting really old? Right, fuck off.

You can go on opinion, or you can go on cold hard facts. Other than do good music, SOAD have done not much else (aside from several members speaking out for various different charities, and what have you). Nirvana and The Beatles actually changed things completely when they were around, whether you think the music is good or not. SOAD, if you are looking at a top 10 list of all time, wouldn't be anywhere near, whilst justifiably so Nirvana and Beatles can be placed high, based on the impact they had on the world around them.

Summers, if you believe it deserves to be on the skill of the people in the band, it wouldn't work, as you'd just have 75 Power Metal bands in the top 100, as they show the most "skill" generally, even though how you define "skill" is up for opinion. Or if you go on how "good" a band is, how do you define "good"? Nirvana's songs had meaning, have some semblance of skill, and also, just as SOAD, sold records.

Whether you like them or not, Nirvana and The Beatles were good enough and came around at the right time (which is probably as important) to make the big impact they both have. How you can't objectionally see why Nirvana and Beatles would PROBABLY make it over a band such as SOAD in an all time list bemuses me, and I like SOAD definitely over the Beatles, and not much less than I like Nirvana.

And Darloboy, just because people shoot thier load over Nirvana isn't thier fault, or doesn't change that the music they did was good enough to effectively revive a flagging alt music scene.

It will always be about the affect a band has on a scene as to where they will be looked at in all time lists.....the fact that to you, Summers, SOAD are a good band doesn't detract from Johnny Perfect's opinion that they are a bad band.

Edited by Big Hairy Man Face

You can go on opinion, or you can go on cold hard facts. Other than do good music, SOAD have done not much else (aside from several members speaking out for various different charities, and what have you). Nirvana and The Beatles actually changed things completely when they were around, whether you think the music is good or not. SOAD, if you are looking at a top 10 list of all time, wouldn't be anywhere near, whilst justifiably so Nirvana and Beatles can be placed high, based on the impact they had on the world around them.

Why should a band have to do anything more than play music to be a good band? Tell me that. "Other than do good music"? That's what they're around for. Not to encourage hundreds of spawn off shitty bands. Comparing bands of old and bands of now on "what they've done for music" is fucking redundant, and a waste of time.

Summers, if you believe it deserves to be on the skill of the people in the band, it wouldn't work, as you'd just have 75 Power Metal bands in the top 100, as they show the most "skill" generally, even though how you define "skill" is up for opinion. Or if you go on how "good" a band is, how do you define "good"? Nirvana's songs had meaning, have some semblance of skill, and also, just as SOAD, sold records.

Never said skill, per se. I mean, System's music is good, yes, good. I'm not going into detail on why it's good, I just think it is, so do many others. They're one of the biggest rock bands in the world right now, how could they not deserve a high place on a list such as this?

Whether you like them or not, Nirvana and The Beatles were good enough and came around at the right time (which is probably as important) to make the big impact they both have. How you can't objectionally see why Nirvana and Beatles would PROBABLY make it over a band such as SOAD in an all time list bemuses me, and I like SOAD definitely over the Beatles, and not much less than I like Nirvana.

I never fucking said System would make it above either band in all time list, don't twist my words. I wasn't talking about an all time list. What the fuck are you on about? I was saying this list shouldn't be judged on "Oh well, this band influenced music years ago". So, what the fuck are you talking about?

It will always be about the affect a band has on a scene as to where they will be looked at in all time lists.....the fact that to you, Summers, SOAD are a good band doesn't detract from Johnny Perfect's opinion that they are a bad band.

Sorry, I'll never say my opinion again. And no doubt someone will come along and think "God damn, Summers arguing for no reason again", because when I'm involved there's always someone to say that, but, of course, the other people arguing always have plenty of reasons. Yeah, right bollocks.

Summers has a point, just because someone "changed" music doesn't mean they're the top band ever. They were in the right place at the right time, wow, that's special. Just like Public Enemy said, "Elvis was a hero to most but he never meant shit to me, fuck him and John Wayne!"

This list, every single time I bitched about a Fall Out Boy, the Darkness, or any other band that has had one or two major album releases, everyone jumped at me with "it's not an all-time list!" Now with the Beatles coming in at number two? You can't pick and choose what kind of list it is.

I never fucking said System would make it above either band in all time list, don't twist my words. I wasn't talking about an all time list. What the fuck are you on about? I was saying this list shouldn't be judged on "Oh well, this band influenced music years ago". So, what the fuck are you talking about?

Sorry, I'll never say my opinion again. And no doubt someone will come along and think "God damn, Summers arguing for no reason again", because when I'm involved there's always someone to say that, but, of course, the other people arguing always have plenty of reasons. Yeah, right bollocks.

I wasn't twisting your words. I was just making the point that it depends on how you look at the list. Obviously, its an EWB peoples top 100, but a lot of peoples points where made based on whether they think a band is deserving of some kinda "all time top 100" accolade. To me, if I don't really dig a band (the best example being AC/DC and G'n'R), I still don't really care if they are on the list if I think they genuinely deserve to be on the list (those two do, for being classicly good, I guess), which is the point I've made all along. I got a little confused by the whole people mixing the "peoples vote" with an "all time list" kinda idea, so yeah, you never said that SOAD woulda got in above Nirvana or The Beatles, but people will look at bands they don't like in these lists more on influence than anything else.

And seriously man, the whole "oh, I can't have my opinion" thing IS getting seriously long in tooth. I just said that just because you believe SOAD are good, doesn't mean Johnny Perfect's opinion that they aren't is any less valid. If the roles were reversed between you two, I still would have said the same thing, as at the end of the day, just because I, or anyone, likes a band doesn't mean anyone else has to agree with me, which was my point.

And Zero, I covered "being around at the right time" in my last post....most bands who are big influences were just lucky to be around at the time, but it still takes a modicum of ability, or reading the situation correctly to make them the big bands they are today, as obviously there was a lot of bands about at the same time as The Beatles and Nirvana who didn't make the same breakthrough.

Plus, from what I remmeber, no-one directly bitched at you when you pointed out The Darkness, Fall Out Boy, and several others as not-deserving, but people did reply to the Verve, which was a little more justifiable. Most FOB and Darkness posts tended to agree with you, if I remember correctly.

Edited by Big Hairy Man Face

And seriously man, the whole "oh, I can't have my opinion" thing IS getting seriously long in tooth.

It's how you made it seem, and don't get me started on when Apple Shampoo said it, because the occurances were completely different.

Edited by Blood Red Summers

And seriously man, the whole "oh, I can't have my opinion" thing IS getting seriously long in tooth.

It's how you made it seem, and don't get me started on when Apple Shampoo said it, because the occurances were completely different.

Well, you made it seem that Johnny Perfect wasn't allowed to have the opinion that SOAD doesn't deserve to be in the top 10. I was just stating that neither of your opinions are better than the other, so he's as justified in his beliefs as you are.

Although if we are just talking about current bands still around and alive today, SOAD ARE easily one of the best, I'd agree.

I concur. Partially because this year's list was actually pretty good. There's nothing overwhelmingly dumb like Muse at #4. Led Zep at #1 and Beatles at #2 is a good thing.

Plus, y'know. Pillows. Rock.

Nobody's ever going to be pleased with a list like this. Some people (like me) appreciate the Beatles' kind of music as good stuff. Others appreciate the stuff that System of a Down does. There are major differences in opinion throughout any group of people really.

I've just stumbled across this thread. Could someone just explain how the positions were determined? Cheers.

Well, you made it seem that Johnny Perfect wasn't allowed to have the opinion that SOAD doesn't deserve to be in the top 10. I was just stating that neither of your opinions are better than the other, so he's as justified in his beliefs as you are.

Although if we are just talking about current bands still around and alive today, SOAD ARE easily one of the best, I'd agree.

I didn't say his opinion was wrong, I just said my own. I never brought up anything about how people stating opinions is tiresome, like you did. And, when I was talking about System I was clearly saying "one of the best bands around today", if that isn't obviously me stating meaning around and alive today, then I don't know what is.

I've just stumbled across this thread. Could someone just explain how the positions were determined? Cheers.

There was a voting thread were people listed their top ten, and the higher up a band was on the list the more points they would get and so on.