MLB Hot Stove 2005-06

sahyder1

Yankees contact former Phillies manager Bowa

ESPN.com news services

ESPN baseball analyst Larry Bowa was contacted Thursday by GM Brian Cashman and manager Joe Torre about the possibility of Bowa joining the Yankees staff as one of the team coaches next season.

"I haven't made any decisions yet," Bowa told ESPN.

Bowa, who is in his first season as a Baseball Tonight analyst, previously served as the manager of the Padres (1987-88) and Phillies (2001-04). Bowa was fired by the Phillies on the final weekend of the 2004 season after leading the team to a 337-308 record. Known for a fiery personality, he was 81-127 in 1½ seasons with San Diego.

He has also served as a third base coach for the Phillies, Angels, and Mariners in his career.

New York has two coaching openings following the departures of bench coach Joe Girardi and pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre.

Bowa is scheduled to work for ESPN at the World Series in Houston starting Monday.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More talk of Manny trade

Espn.com

The Red Sox did throw out the idea of a Manny Ramirez-Carlos Beltran deal in July, but it was on the weekend of the trading deadline after Ramirez had ask to be traded.

The Mets rejected the idea, and GMs Omar Minaya and Theo Epstein tried to construct two-, three-, and four-way deals -- none of which worked. "The ironic thing is that by the end of the weekend, Manny said he would not go to the Mets," says Ramirez's agent Greg Genske of Legacy Sports Group. "I know people have speculated about Pedro [Martinez] and his influence, but Manny does not want to be traded to the Mets."

And, anyway, the Red Sox say they have not offered the superstar outfielder to the Mets -- or anyone -- as of now. Genske plans to meet with Boston owner John Henry next week in Florida, and after that meeting some determination will be made on whether Ramirez will repeat his July request to be traded, or the team will see what it can get on the market, with the knowledge that as a 10-5 player, Ramirez can veto any deal.

If Ramirez does request to be traded, Genske says "his preference would be Anaheim. He also still loves Cleveland, and would go back there." Another possibility would be Arizona, if Boston would take some of the contracts the Diamondbacks are trying to move, including Troy Glaus and Luis Gonzalez. Texas was in play at the deadline.

The problem is that if the Red Sox baseball operations had their way, the only way Ramirez would be traded is if they could restock themselves with a young corner outfielder, a center fielder and pitching. Their feeling is that with so much money floating around the industry and so few free quality free agents, Ramirez's contract -- three years remaining at a present-day value of slightly more than $17 million -- will not be that bad come spring training. Also, while Ramirez is unpredictable and sometimes had hustle lapses, he has played 150 or more games three straight seasons, bettered in Red Sox history by only Frank Malzone (7), Carl Yastrzemski (5), Jim Rice and Dwight Evans (4 each).

Los Angeles Dodgers

Paul Bako, C- decent backup catcher but no tears will be shed if he is gone

Elmer Dessens, RHP (m)- is never healthy and when he is is very inconsistent and doesn't have a defined role in either the rotation or the bullpen

Darren Dreifort, RHP- Dodger management should be doing backflips now that this hideous contract is over, let him go, and his 21332 elbow surgeries or whatever

Jose Valentin, 3B- LA needs a better third baseman than this but in spots last year while healthy Valentin showed bright spots...I'd bring him back as a last resort

Jeff Weaver, RHP- this guy makes me pull my hair out...it'll be a 2 hitter with 11 strikeouts one game than the next he wont make it past the third inning, he's probably going to command more money than he should but if he could get some type of mental directioning from somebody like Hershiser I'd say bring him back

FA's I'd like the Dodgers to consider

Bengie Molina,C, LA Angels- The Dodgers got run on so much last year, Molina could stop that and provide better pop than Jason Phillips in my opinion

Paul Konerko, 1B, Chicago White Sox- Hee Seop Choi is not the answer, let Konerko come in and have a reputable first baseman for the first time in several years

Guillermo Mota, RHP, Florida Marlins

Danys Baez, RHP, Tampa Bay Devil Rays

B.J. Ryan, LHP, Baltimore Orioles

any other decent relief pitcher....

sure up that bullpen, because without Gagne that pen is in shambles, Brazoban can't close, Sanchez is better suited for the 7th or 8th innings and if I have to see Steve Schmoll or Kelly Wunsch in the same game again I am going to punch my TV.

Guest G3NXCMF

As far as the Red Sox go, there are several issues to deal with. The first one and most prominent is the Johnny Damon issue. Damon, being the best lead-off hitter in the game, will be asking anywhere from $12-15 million for a long-term deal. However, if J-Day doesn't get the money he wants, he'll most likely either be replaced by a year gapper or by current all-around utility prospect Hanley Ramirez. Although Hanley has been getting work at shortstop and second base, he has also been rumored to be an option in centerfield.

The next interesting area is third base. Bill Mueller has been a rock for the Red Sox at third as well as in the later-half of the lineup. He can hit, he can field, he can straight-up shut up and play. That's why I believe that he'll be back next year, but if he isn't then prospect Kevin Youkilis is more then ready to take his place. Youk is a fan favorite and will be able to mimic Bill's batting or perhaps exclipse it. However, Mueller's attitude and glove work may be missed.

At second base the Red Sox will most likely turn to Dustin Pedrioa, but if Johnny returns Hanley may be at second instead. Dustin is a top prospect for the Red Sox, and he is ready according to the Red Sox brass. However, Hanley would be the Sox first choice depending on the CF situation.

First base has been an area of interest for the Red Sox and will require a free agent signing or trade. Konerko could be an interesting choice, but Millar and Olerud will probably both be gone. Paul seems to be the only prominent free agent 1B, so a trade might be required to get quality batting and fielding at the first bag.

The Manny situation is an interesting one, but he won't be traded. Manny and Ortiz cannot be seperated, period.

Pitching will be quite the adventure. Right now the rotation looks like the following: Schilling, Clement, Wakefield, Arroyo, Miller, Pabelbon? I believe that this area will be revamped through trades, as there are no really good free agent pitchers out there. I hope we don't over-spend to bring in AJ Burnett who is all stuff and no production. I would like to Jon Pabelbon get a chance as a starter, as he has had very impressive stuff as both a starter and reliever. It depends on which area needs more help, as he will go to the weaker of the two. Curt may never bounce back from his injury and be a .500 pitcher, Clement is a half-and-done, Arroyo is mediocre, Wakefield is good but always streaky, Miller is injury-prone, so this area may need a complete face-lift.

The bullpen will get the injury-killed Keith Foulke back but nobody knows which Keith will show up. Here's hoping the 2004 playoff one, but if not we'll need a closer. We have a few prospects that could come up and pitch decently, but it may take a trade or signing to help the 'pen. Timlin should be back, even if I think he's past his prime now.

That's pretty much it from me right now on Sox camp.

The Sox bullpen is shot except for Timlin, and that's not saying a whole hell of a lot.

Arroyo is a decent pitcher. I really like him, and I hope the Sox don't give up on him. He's had some damn good starts in the past couple of seasons now, although consistency can be an issue ... not as bad as Wakefield though.

Papelbon, I'd like to see him be given a chance in the rotation. I think he might become something decent. He's possibly one of the better pitchers in the system, so why not?

For once, the management is having some trust in their youth. Papelbon, Hanley, Pedroia, and Youkilis ... they should get decent chances in the majors. It was getting tiring seeing all the prospects get traded away for junk, Dan Duquette ran the team almost like Steinbrenner ... only New York HAS nothing left with Cano and Wang up.

• 2 weeks later...

BOSTON -- Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein resigned Monday, surprising Boston and the baseball world just one year after helping the franchise win its first World Series championship since 1918.

"In my time as general manager, I gave my entire heart and soul to the organization," Epstein said in a statement. "During the process leading up to today's decision, I came to the conclusion that I can no longer do so. In the end, my choice is the right one not only for me but for the Red Sox."

Epstein will continue working for a few days to assist in the transition and prepare for the offseason. The Boston Herald, which first reported the news on its Web site, said the Yale graduate has told associates that he might leave baseball or at least take a year off.

The Dodgers, Phillies and Devil Rays have GM openings, but none has a $120 million payroll to match the one Epstein was given in Boston.

The 31-year-old Epstein was reportedly offered about $4.5 million for a three-year extension -- quadruple his previous salary. But it was still short of the $2.5 million a year the Red Sox offered Oakland's Billy Beane in 2002 before making Epstein the youngest GM in baseball history.

Although Epstein and team president Larry Lucchino haggled over money, the Herald said Epstein also went through "agonizing soul-searching" over office politics and his relationship with his mentor. The Herald said published reports that contained inside information about their relationship, "slanted too much in Lucchino's favor," helped convince Epstein there had been a breach of trust.

Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling told The Associated Press he was disappointed but had seen indications the move might be coming.

"You don't get better losing a guy like Theo," said Schilling, who joined the Red Sox after Epstein ate Thanksgiving dinner with him and convinced him to accept a trade from the Arizona Diamondbacks.

"It's obviously going to be an incredibly unpopular decision with the players. But we'll show up in spring training and get ready for the season and try to win another World Series. It's not like we're going to have a sit-down," he said.

Epstein grew up only blocks from Fenway Park and worked for Lucchino with the Baltimore Orioles and San Diego Padres. A lifelong Red Sox fan, Epstein was brought to Boston to be the assistant GM and promoted to his dream job in 2002, about five weeks before his 29th birthday.

"Growing up in the shadow of Fenway Park, I never dreamed of having the chance to work for my hometown team during such an historic period," Epstein said, thanking owners John Henry and Tom Werner -- and Lucchino -- for the opportunity.

"My affection for the Red Sox did not begin four years ago when I started working here, and it does not end today," he said. "My passion for and dedication to the game of baseball remain strong. Although I have no immediate plans, I will embrace this change in my life and look forward with excitement to the future."

A devotee of statistical analysis who values his scouts as well, Epstein's tenure has been marked by bold adventures that often conflicted with baseball orthodoxy:

He signed first baseman Kevin Millar, despite an unspoken agreement not to poach from Japanese clubs.

He went without a traditional closer in his first year, with horrendous results.

He tried to trade for 2003 AL MVP Alex Rodriguez -- a deal that would have meant shipping out Manny Ramirez and Nomar Garciaparra -- and then, without remorse, pulled the plug when the deal became too expensive.

He ate Thanksgiving dinner with Schilling in a college football-style recruiting trip that lured the right-handed ace to Boston.

He traded Garciaparra, the face of the franchise, for the parts he needed to complete the World Series puzzle.

But the efforts paid off.

The Red Sox reached the AL Championship Series in 2003 before the lack of a closer doomed Grady Little in Game 7 at Yankee Stadium. The next year, with a new manager and the closer it had been missing, the ballclub won its first World Series in 86 years.

Boston reached the postseason for a third consecutive year this season before getting swept by the eventual World Series-champion Chicago White Sox in the first round.

I heard earlier today that a deal was in place too. This is definite surprising. I'm trying to think who fits the Red Sox mold right now that is available? Depodesta? Too bad this didn't happen a couple of weeks ago.....Cashman could've made himself some more money.

Well, looks the Mariners will have to have Gillick talk to another team now too.

Theo will either end up in LA I assume, he's smart enough to take a year off though so as not to "taint his legacy" by screwing up in Tampa or something and instead going somewhere where there is money.

he can't wait a year and then land in L.A. The Dodgers need a GM this year.

Mets exercise option on Trachsel

ESPN.com news services

New York Mets: Closer Braden Looper's $5.5 million option was declined Monday by the Mets, who will pay the reliever a $250,000 buyout. New York also exercised right-hander Steve Trachsel's $2.5 million option and declined a $4 million option on first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz, who gets a $450,000 buyout.

"Even though we declined Braden's option, we still plan on having conversations with his agent," Mets general manager Omar Minaya said.

Looper went 4-7 with a 3.94 ERA and 28 saves in 36 chances and had arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder on Oct. 3, the day after the season ended. The Mets might decide not to re-sign Looper and land another closer.

Trachsel missed most of the season following back surgery in March and went 1-4 with a 4.14 ERA.

Mientkiewicz, acquired from Boston last winter after the Mets failed to sign free-agent Carlos Delgado, hit .240 with 11 homers and 29 RBI.

New York also activated outfielder Mike Cameron, right-handers Bartolome Fortunato and Tyler Yates, left-hander Felix Heredia and infielder Jeff Keppinger from the 60-day disabled list.

Also Monday, infielder Jose Offerman filed for free agency.

Chicago Cubs: Versatile pitcher Glendon Rusch got a raise.

Rusch agreed to a $6 million, two-year contract with the Cubs on Monday, replacing a $2 million option he had for next season. The left-hander will get $2.75 million next season and $3.25 million in 2007, and he could earn up to $500,000 each season in performance bonuses.

"Glendon wanted to re-sign with them. He didn't want to go anywhere else," said Tommy Tanzer, Rusch's agent. "He loves pitching for Dusty [baker], and [pitching coach Larry Rothschild] and [bullpen coach] Dick Pole, and he loves playing for Jim Hendry."

Rusch has been the ultimate utility player for the Cubs the last two years, moving back and forth between the bullpen and the starting rotation and giving the team flexibility when Kerry Wood and Mark Prior were hurt. He is 11-9 with a 3.94 ERA in 35 starts over the last two seasons and 4-1 with two saves and a 4.30 ERA in 43 relief appearances.

St. Louis Cardinals: Left-handed reliever Randy Flores had surgery to remove a bone spur from his throwing elbow.

Flores, 30, was operated on Friday at Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital, the Cardinals said. He is expected to begin throwing in six to eight weeks and be fully recovered by the time the Cardinals report to Jupiter, Fla., in mid-February, team spokesman Brian Bartow said.

With Ray King's return uncertain after he criticized manager Tony La Russa for failing to use him during the postseason, Flores may be the only returning left-handed reliever. He was 3-1 with a 3.46 ERA in 50 appearances in 2005.

Right-hander Al Reyes had reconstructive surgery Oct. 18 to repair a torn elbow ligament that had pulled off the bone.

Former team physician Dr. George Paletta operated on Reyes and said the injury was among the worst he has seen among 200 elbow reconstructions. Reyes is expected to miss nine to 12 months.

Reyes, 35, was probably the Cardinals' best middle reliever this year, going 4-2 with a 2.15 ERA in 65 appearances. He allowed no runs in his final 11 appearances.

Arizona Diamondbacks: The team is set to name Lee Tinsley as first base coach, the Arizona Republic reported.

Tinsley, who has served as the club's minor-league outfield coordinator for the past three seasons, replaces Brett Butler. Butler and pitching coach Mark Davis were jettisoned after last season. Bryan Price has been hired to replace Davis.

Tinsley spent time in the majors playing with Seattle, Boston and Philadelphia.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Edited by sahyder1

I wish the Indians hadnt screwed up whatever they did with Baez a couple years back(something to do with releaseing him and getting him back with some loophole) cause thier bullpen would have been even better then it was last year and also if Wicky doesnt come back this year then they could have turned to Baez for that spot. Who would have known that Baez would skyrocket like he has the past season though.

Mets: Team to target Molina

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com

Tuesday, November 1, 2005

News

Free agent catcher Bengie Molina is the apple of the Mets' eye this offseason, and agent Alan Nero confirmed that he's already talked with general manager Omar Minaya. ""I would say he's excited about the Mets' interest, and as an open slate, he's going to consider it very openly," Nero told the New York Post.

Views

The Mike Piazza era in New York is over, and it's no surprise that the team would target Molina, who is widely regarded as the top backstop on the market.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice job overpaying for B.J. Ryan Toronto. I've seen this guy first-hand for years, he's good, but not worth a 5-year deal especially at that cost. But given the way things have been in Toronto I can totally understand with giving him as much as you did. And, hey, it keeps him away from your division rivals.

• 2 weeks later...

Jays are having a great offseason. First we get Ryan, now AJ Burnett; the pitching staff is looking really good at this point with Halladay, Burnett, Chacin and the top two of Josh Towers, David Bush, Ted Lilly and Scott Downs. You've got Ryan closing, Speier as the set-up man, and with Miguel Batista now a possible trade, Kevin Mench possibly coming to town. If that deal happens, it's going to be a completely different ball club next year.

Yankees need to trade for Juan Pierre. Pierre can definitleiy rebound back in NY. He's the best leadoff man in the game when he gets back to form. The Yankees haven't had a real leadoff since Knoblauch.

But the Yankees seriously need to cut budget. These losses(financially and game-wise) is just getting ridiculous. Not even George can keep this up.