MLB Hot Stove 2005-06

sahyder1

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did I miss this thread when my Jays have been the biggest story this offseason?

I'm not going into a giant rant. I'll just say I'm very pleased with what they have done and feel that the AL East is now a 3 team race.

Until the Jays get some hitting, they will be no better than 3rd in the east

From Espn.com

The World Champion Chicago White Sox have traded for Javier Vazquez, adding pitching power to a starting rotation that included four pitchers with double-digit wins last season.

The Arizona Diamondbacks will send Vazquez to the White Sox, ESPN.com Insider Jerry Crasnick confirmed Wednesday.

In exchange, Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez, reliever Luis Vizcaino and outfield prospect Chris Young will be sent to Arizona.

The deal has yet to be announced by the teams because Arizona is sending cash to the White Sox, which requires the commissioner's approval. Also, the players must take physical exams.

Vazquez had asked to be traded to a team that would be easier for his family in Puerto Rico to visit. He is owed $24 million from the $45 million, four-year contract he agreed to with the Yankees in January 2004. That deal gives him salaries of $11.5 million in 2006 and $12.5 million in 2007.

It would be the fourth major offseason move by the White Sox since Chicago won its first World Series since 1917. The White Sox re-signed first baseman Paul Konerko and traded for DH Jim Thome and utility player Rob Mackowiak.

Vazquez filed a formal trade demand Nov. 10, the right of veteran players dealt during multiyear contracts. Arizona had until March 15 to trade him or risk having Vazquez become a free agent.

He is owed $11.5 million next year and $12.5 million in 2007.

Vazquez was obtained by the New York Yankees from Montreal after the 2003 season and was an All-Star in his first season with New York, going 14-9 with a 4.75 ERA. But he won just one of his last nine regular-season starts and was traded to Arizona last January as part of the deal that sent Randy Johnson to the Yankees. He went 11-15 with a 4.42 ERA for the Diamondbacks this year.

Hernandez, who pitched in relief in the playoffs, was 9-9 last season and has a career record of 70-49, spending most of his time in the major leagues with the Yankees.

El Duque is signed for next year, with a base salary of $4,625,000. He can earn an additional $2 million in bonuses based on innings, getting the full amount if he pitches 205 innings

Vizcaino joined the White Sox last season as part of a trade with the Milwaukee Brewers that also landed Chicago Scott Podsednik and sent Carlos Lee to the Brewers. He pitched well in the second half after a slow start and finished 6-5 with a 3.73 ERA.

Vazquez has an 89-93 career record, pitching for the Montreal Expos, the Yankees and the Diamondbacks.

Young batted .277 with 26 homers and 77 RBI for Double-A Birmingham last season and was one of the White Sox's top prospects.

I am not a Chi Sox fan but down the road this trade may not be that good they traded a guy that when was pitching well was a really good pitcher in El Duque and also one of thier top prospects for a guy that I really dont think has been that good since he came out of Montreal in Vazquez, he also has a pretty $10+ million contract for the next two years.

How did I miss this thread when my Jays have been the biggest story this offseason?

I'm not going into a giant rant. I'll just say I'm very pleased with what they have done and feel that the AL East is now a 3 team race.

I'd say that acquiring Overbay has only helped that problem. (Y)

Not much, he didnt even get 20 homers in over 500 at bats, and didnt bat 300....hes an overrated player

Are you kidding me? Burnett and Halladay scares nobody. BJ Ryan can't do anything if they don't have leads to protect. The only thing the Blue Jays have done is revved up the fan base, which is a good thing. However, they're looking at another dissappointing season unless they can get a bat.

Garciaparra agrees to one-year deal with DodgersESPN.com news services

The Los Angeles Dodgers are slowly becoming the West Coast version of the Red Sox after Nomar Garciaparra agreed in principle to an incentive-laden one-year deal, ESPN's Peter Gammons confirmed.

Garciaparra, who still needs to take a physical and finalize contract details, will likely play first base for the Dodgers. The deal has a base salary of $6 million and could be worth as much as $8 million, the New York Post reported.

The Yankees, Astros and Indians were originally interested in Garciaparra but were told by Garciaparra's agent, Arn Tellum, of his choice to join the Dodgers.

Garciaparra played under recently hired Dodgers manager Grady Little in 2002-03 with the Boston Red Sox and was teammates with pitcher Derek Lowe and third baseman Bill Mueller in Boston. Lowe signed with Los Angeles last winter, and Mueller joined the Dodgers this week.

Garciaparra was considered one of baseball's best shortstops for several years while playing with the Red Sox, but his playing time was limited the past two seasons because of injuries. He was traded to the Chicago Cubs midway through the 2004 season.

A five-time All-Star with the Red Sox, Garciaparra hit .283 with nine homers and 30 RBI in 62 games for the Chicago Cubs last season, when he earned $8.25 million. He tore his left groin running out of the batter's box in St. Louis on April 20 and didn't return until Aug. 5.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report

Not much, he didnt even get 20 homers in over 500 at bats, and didnt bat 300....hes an overrated player

Yankees add Damon to potent lineup

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- The New York Yankees grabbed center fielder Johnny Damon away from the rival Boston Red Sox, reaching a preliminary agreement Tuesday night on a $52 million, four-year contract.

Details of the deal were still being negotiated and Damon must pass a physical, a baseball official said on condition of anonymity because negotiations were not yet final.

Damon fills a double void for the Yankees, giving them a speedy center fielder who can cover ground and a leadoff hitter to top a star-studded lineup that also includes Derek Jeter, Gary Sheffield, AL MVP Alex Rodriguez, Hideki Matsui and Jason Giambi.

Bernie Williams' defense declined significantly over the past four seasons. And while Damon's arm is not much better, he does cover a lot of ground, which is important in Yankee Stadium.

Agent Scott Boras had been seeking a seven-year contract for Damon. The offer Damon accepted was essentially the same as the deal Matsui agreed to with the Yankees last month.

Goodbye Jesus.

Edited by damshow

I'm glad the Sox passed on that. 14 million a year? Thats too much for Damon, who is already showing signs of slowing down. With the hole in CF for the Sox now, they're probably going to trade Bronson Arroyo to Seattle for Jeremy Reed. Reed's no Damon, but hes a suitable replacement, and I'm sure hes getting paid about 10 million dollars less too.

I'm glad the Sox passed on that. 14 million a year? Thats too much for Damon, who is already showing signs of slowing down. With the hole in CF for the Sox now, they're probably going to trade Bronson Arroyo to Seattle for Jeremy Reed. Reed's no Damon, but hes a suitable replacement, and I'm sure hes getting paid about 10 million dollars less too.

I have never been a big Damon fan, and I am big on Reed. Although I find the whole situation hilarious.

Works out for both teams, while the Yankees overpay like always, one could argue that they simply payed Damon more because they lost out on Nomar. And they cut some dead weight this offseason by not renewing some contracts so they do fill a gap.

Regardless... BoSox and Yankees right now still dominate the Blue Jays who overpayed for a shaky starter who won't do any better, and a one hit wonder closer. BJ Ryan is not good, espically not for that dough.

Winners in the AL East: Bo Sox, their deals so far outside of Seanz or whatever have been helpful.

Neutral: Yankees.

Losers: Blue Jays, beefing up payroll with middle of the road players, good job on staying #3 (Y)

Finley heads to Giants; Angels get Alfonzo

SAN FRANCISCO -- The San Francisco Giants acquired outfielder Steve Finley from the Los Angeles Angels for third baseman Edgardo Alfonzo on Wednesday in a swap of former All-Stars who dropped off dramatically last season.

The Giants have been interested in Finley for some time, pursuing him twice previously in free agency -- including last winter before he went to the AL West champion Angels. San Francisco wound up signing Moises Alou.

Finley has long produced some of his biggest hits against the Giants while with every NL West rival excluding Colorado, hitting a grand slam for the Dodgers during the final weekend of the 2004 season to keep San Francisco from making the playoffs.

"Steve Finley is a player that can win games in many ways -- with his bat, his glove and his knowledge,'' Giants general manager Brian Sabean said. "He will give Felipe [Alou] many options in the outfield along with returning starters Barry Bonds, Moises Alou and Randy Winn, as well as provide great veteran presence.''

Finley is likely to be the fourth outfielder if Bonds is healthy, but the Giants have been looking for a lefty to add to their lineup as insurance in case the 41-year-old Bonds is still limited by his troublesome right knee. He had three operations on the knee this year and missed most of the 2005 season.

The 40-year-old Finley batted .222 with 12 home runs and 54 RBI in 112 games last season for the Angels, who won the AL West for the second straight year and beat the New York Yankees in five games to advance to the AL championship series before losing to the eventual World Series champion Chicago White Sox.

"We were hoping for a better season from him, and I'm sure the Giants were hoping for a better season from Alfonzo as well. Neither had career years,'' Angels general manager Bill Stoneman said. "I talked to Steve and I know he's working as hard as ever.''

Finley is a two-time All-Star and five-time Gold Glove winner who has reached the 20-homer mark seven times, including a career-high 36 homers in 2004. He is the only active player with 300 doubles, 100 triples and 200 homers.

Alfonzo has struggled for much of his time with the Giants since signing a $26 million, four-year contract following the 2002 season. He is still owed $1 million from a signing bonus that is due Jan. 31, and a $7 million salary for 2006.

Alfonzo played in only 109 games last season, batting .277 with two home runs and 43 RBI.

"He will come in and take a shot at playing a lot of infield. Whether it would be at second or third will probably be determined in spring training,'' Stoneman said. "By trading Steve Finley, it makes it more likely that Chone Figgins is going to be playing more out in center than he did in the past.''

He knew his future with the club was in question because the Giants want to develop Pedro Feliz as a regular starter at one position. He got 569 at-bats last season and played 79 games at third.