Sweet Jesus! We did it!

Chris the Human

The point I was making initially was that Australia are a better side than their rank indicates, as evidenced by the results listed above against sides ranked higher than us (except Iraq, I just included them coz they're Iraq).

Our rank isn't low because we underachieve, it's low because we so rarely play internationals outside of World Cup qualifications (most of which are, as I stated already, against sides considerably lower than us given the nations in Oceania) and when we do, we don't field a solid side due to European commitments from our players.

Hence, I'm saying that people seriously underrate the Australian side. Assuming we have a full strength squad (which would hopefully be a certainty) we'll surprise people in the Cup.

EDIT: Mickey Mouse 6th division? you obviously have no clue what you're talking about.
Edited by chriswalkerbush....walkerbush

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he is missing a big point.

Australia is practically screwed over when we try and qualify for the World Cup.

We go through Oceana, which is the biggest joke in the world. We are forced to play teams we absolutely destroy, and from there, we are put up against a South American team who comes... (I think sixth). It is not fair. How can we progress as a team, when we don't get constant, good, competition?

People forget that.

After this world cup, we shall be qualifying through Asia, which means we shall have tougher games against Japan and South Korea, just to name a few.

Your complaint is that you have to face the fifth-placed team in South America before getting through? Uruguay are probably the hardest fifth-placed team you're likely to get, and you're COMPLAINING?

If you want international practice, play more friendlies. Half of your players play in international leagues anyway, don't they?

Guest muddatrucker

I didn't say you brought it up, you could of just said 'we're talking internationals' or you could of taken the ass route and referred to it as Mickey Mouse when you had no clue where the result was from.

You don't get good constant competition because you never qualify, its the Australian football associations responsibility to arrange good friendlies and get their best players to play in them. The Oceania group is messed up, but still thats not an excuse.

Guest muddatrucker

That international experience that you're complaining about, plus the climate in England matches that of Germany, gives the guys time to adapt.

Theres also thousands of Australians and Jamaicans in England and half of the Jamaican team are shitty English players.

Yeah, that's true. That said, a lot of nations at least have a strong national league in which some of their players play. Australia's A-League is only a year old, and aside from Aloisi and Thompson - none of our representatives play in it.

• 6 months later...

Anyone catch the friendly between Australia and Greece tonight? Very impressed with how an understrength side played against the European champions. A great goal from Josip Skoko proved to be the only difference, but the Aussie offence played all over Greece in the first half. The mass subbing at halftime somewhat killed the spectacle, but it was a good way for the Socceroos to say goodbye to the Aussie fans before they had over to Europe.

Next friendly is against the Netherlands, which I'm a lot less confident about.

So are Belarus

And yes, I realise that it was a 'B' side - but what kind of depth is it when you can't even field a competitive 'B' side? (Not saying Australia can, because they clearly can't)

Edited by The Misanthrope