Sweet Jesus! We did it!

Chris the Human

Holy crap! Australia have done it! After 32 years of trying and failing, the perennial underachievers of world soccer have qualified for a World Cup. It was 1974 the last time the 'Socceroos' graced the world stage, and for many fans of the team, it's been a long time coming.

The Australians have made a habit of falling short in the big games, whether it was a heart-breaking loss to Iran in 1997 or 2001's 3-0 drubbing in Montevido after downing Uruguay 1-0 in the home leg.

The Australians went down 1-0 to Uruguay again this year, this time in the away leg, and the pressure was on them in front of over 82,000 fans in Sydney tonight as they played host to the side that dashed their hopes in 2002. A 35th minute goal from Marco Bresciano put things back on level footing, Bresciano sliding on to a hopelessly mis-kicked Harry Kewell strike to bury it in the top of the net.

What followed was perhaps one of the most dominant performances by an Australian side in recent memory, outshining performances such as our 3-1 defeat of England or our defeat of Brazil in the Confederations Cup. Despite this, however, Australia could not find the decisive goal that would gain them entry into the 2006 World Cup in Germany. Even thirty minutes of extra time couldn't provide the Australian fans with what they'd been craving since 1974.

The game went down to penalties, and Australia couldn't have had a better start when Schwarzer saved the first attempt and Kewell buried his in the back of the net. Australia were 3-2 up when Mark Viduka stepped up and, amazingly, missed cold. It all came down to Schwarzer saving the next shot and Aloisi being able to land his. Miraculously, this is just what happened, Australia through over Uruguay and Recoba's 'divine right'.

In other words. I'm over the fucking moon! :D

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I wasn't thinking it was possible...Australia had been screwed out of a place in the World Cup for 32 years, add to that how hard it is to get a single spot in the tournament from Oceania. It was a good decision to move to the AFC, it's pretty much easier to get into the tournament outright, instead of breezing through everyone else, then losing at the final qualifier (the one against the South American team), which they have been consistently doing.

Edited by sirdavinator

It was a good decision to move to the AFC, it's pretty much easier to get into the tournament outright, instead of breezing through everyone else, then losing at the final qualifier (the one against the South American team), which they have been consistently doing.

Trinidad beat Bahrain 1-0 to qualify.

Normally, I wouldn't give a shit, but St. Johnstone have got a player the the World cup :D

He be Jason Scotland, so in a way, Scotland did quallify :P

Edited by Turbonizzle

Guest Booker T & The MG's

Trinidad winning means Marvin Andrews will play at a World Cup! The fact Namouchi & Andrews are going but Barry Ferguson isn't, is sheer comedy. Injury is no problem for Big Marv as his leg should have fallen off about a year ago anyway, and if anyone is going to score a header from there own half it's going to be him.

I'm glad both those teams went through, that's who I wanted to see there.

Edited by Booker T & The MG's

It was sensational, thank god they one or I think it would be safe to say soccer in Australia would've been dead and burried. When their fat fucking coach through the ball at one of our players and got away with it I wanted to punch the TV. Who cares how they go in the finals, they fucking made it!

And similarly, commiserations for your impending loss at the group stages.

Man, I hope we draw the Poms in the group stages. We can take you to school once more. :lol:

Yeah, you sure showed us in that pointless, meaningless friendly you bastards. :(

Man, not only did they do that, but they gave us a hiding in the crick....oh wait.....rug....no, no, no.....Aussie Rules football?

Edited by Liam