Best Game Intro

Benji

By far for me it is Final Fantasy X, that intro is so fucking epic I swear in all history of films, television, plays and video games, there will never be a more entertaining, powerful and informative intro than this one to me. The music suits it perfectly with its rough vocals, matching both the blitzball game and the attack of Sin at the very beginning.

The waves coming crashing down, Tidus' realisation mid-air what is happening and desperately clinging on, you expect the cliché, he'll be saved, but no, he goes crashing down with the rest and from there you are left to see the storyline develop, immediately forcing you into the game.

So yeah, what's your favourite game intros?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends what you mean by Intro. The FFX blitzball sequence is awesome, but if I were, say, to limit it to title sequence/pre-title sequence videos, then probably either MGS1 or 2. Then of course you have Zone of the Enders 2, the title video of which is just frikkin' epic (something like 10 minutes long, before you even reach the title screen).

Depends what you mean by Intro. The FFX blitzball sequence is awesome, but if I were, say, to limit it to title sequence/pre-title sequence videos, then probably either MGS1 or 2. Then of course you have Zone of the Enders 2, the title video of which is just frikkin' epic (something like 10 minutes long, before you even reach the title screen).

Agreed with both FFX and MGS, but the one intro that remains in my loving memory is GTAIII's intro, mainly because it was the first PS2 game I ever played, and it was so completely different from the original GTA's.

One the point of ZOE2, is it as good as ZOE? I loved the first one, but I sort of lost interest after hearing the sequal would be in cel-shading. I really need to play ZOE again, that game was outstandingly badass.

ZOE2 is vastly superior to ZOE in every respect I can think of. It isn't so despairingly short; the cutscenes are anime rather than crappy 3D; it has PLOT; there's more variety in weapons and missions; and you don't have to play as Leo "I'm a whiny bitch with a complex over an AI program" Steinbuck. Dingo Egrett is a far cooler main character because he's so fucking indignant about everything.

Frankly, the "flashback" video summary of ZOE1 that you get in ZOE2 gives a better recap of the game than actually playing it would. Plus there seem to be bits of plot that must have been cut out of the European release or something, 'cos I'd damn well never seen them before (Violet shot Leo's little girlfriend Celvice - eh??).

Although despite what I said, Leo does turn up in ZOE2. He's literally traded in Jehuty for a new frame with a bigger "cockpit". ¬_¬

Basically, if you thought ZOE was badass (and it was, in its way), then ZOE2 will be more so.

Jehuty vs. Anubis. COME ON NOW.

Edited by stokeriño

Hmm. I might need to see about getting a hold of it. Thansk for reminding me about it, it's also given me cause to post in the most frustrating game thread. The final boss (Anubis?) was fucking ridiculous. Either that or I just sucked.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (for PS1) has my favorite video game intro ever. The narration (by the guy who voices Raziel) is great, the way it introduces the new character and the new conflict is very well done.

Even having seen many PS2 games since then, it remains my favorite by far.

Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks:

An All out brawl, Reptile bites into Cage's head,Sub-Zero rips out a minions spine and whacks Scorpion and the Liu/Kang Shan Tsung fight also Goros entrance pwnt, he comes in and everyone pauses and charges and he just murders all of them

Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks:

An All out brawl, Reptile bites into Cage's head,Sub-Zero rips out a minions spine and whacks Scorpion and the Liu/Kang Shan Tsung fight also Goros entrance pwnt, he comes in and everyone pauses and charges and he just murders all of them

Hell yeah, great intro.

I dunno how I could forget the intro to FIFA 98 Road to the World Cup. Song FUCKING Two absolutely made that, with the footballing etc... awesome.

Guest Helmed Horror

Dawn Of War

It pleases everybody (Space Marines die, Orks die. What's not to like?)

Soul Calibur 2 & 3

Both simply look awesome.

Edited by Helmed Horror

Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3 were both nicely set up....Not much story told (especially in MGS2) but the atmosphere was fantastic in both, as was Snake athleticism!

I must admit, Killzone's openeing sequence, explaining about the Helghast and with the Hilter-esque speech as the Helghast invade....Hairs on the back of my neck went up...

I totally agree with Legacy of Kain : Soul Reaver. It was the first one out the series that I played, and it just did such an awesome job of explaining the entire world that the game is set in. That series is one of the best for cinematics, acting, storyline, and all that.

Other than that, I agree with the quality of MGS2's opening as well. The cinematic style, music, and effects all just work so perfectly together, making it seem like it could totally be an actual movie.

One that hasn't been mentioned yet is the opening to Onimusha 3. The big battle with all the undead is just amazing. i've started a new game a couple of times just to see that.

I'm also a huge fan of the opening to EA Sports games. I've only played the NHL ones, but the highlights set to the music always get me really into playing the game. I know that one doesn't really count, since it's the same type of thing you'd see on TV before a game, but I still love them.

Honorable mentions go to the Resident Evil and Silent Hill Series.