The Misifts!

Ash J. Williams

The Misfits  

17 members have voted

1. 1. New or old Misfits

• Danzig's Misfits
    • Only's/Graves' Misfits

I have REALLY gotten into the Misfits lately, and I find myself liking the new stuff more than Danzig's stuff. Don't get me wrong, there's tons of old songs of theirs that I like, I just like the new, more raw and heavy style better. That, and Project 1950 may be the best cover CD ever. What does everyone else think? IWC, I'm looking at you (Y)

EDIT: From Misfits.com

There's even talk of some live Misfits material to hit the streets from some of the recent highly acclaimed shows Jerry, Dez and Robo delivered in 2005 which will be followed by...a new Misfits studio album! Yes fiends, the band plans to return to the studio in 2006 to deliver the hardest, most aggressive Misfits material to see the pressing plant since Earth AD!

Fuuuuuck yeah!

Edited by Ash J. Williams

As far as music goes, I'm a much bigger fan of the newer stuff.

But the older Misfits era holds a sort of mystique that is hard to ignore.

And I was at the show at the Underworld this year, it was unbelievable. They played close to forty songs and my ears rang for over ninety hours after I left. It was fantastic, I was front and center the whole time, practically crushed against the speakers.. but it was worth it. I even got an autograph afterwards.. yaay. I usually find it hard to rate gigs, but that was one of the greatest things I have ever seen in person.

Personally, while I enjoy the Danzig-era stuff and Danzig's solo albums, I really am more of a fan of the Graves-era Misfits, with Only also being great on vocals.

The Graves stuff just seemed to have more to it, and honestly, the rest of the band was the best they'd ever been. Danzig-era Fits suffered from horrible production, which in turn makes it hard to enjoy a lot of the stuff.

On a side note, this is the same reason why I do not enjoy Samhain. Everything I've heard has shit-tastic production. It sounds like I recorded it in my computer room.

American Psycho/Famous Monsters are my two favorite Misfits albums, with Project 1950 being my favorite all-cover album. The Danzig-era has a lot of good stuff, don't get me wrong, but there isn't an album there that can match up with Psycho or Monsters in my opinion.

A new album could be good, but I really am unsure about whether or not Only on vocals will be a good thing for new material. Personally, I'd rather have Danzig or Graves...or even someone new with a similar 50's style clean vocals and modern scream combo.

I know it's tantamount to blasphemy to prefer the later Misfits stuff, but it's just better. It's more over-the-top corny and just plain fun and interesting rock and roll, and Saturday Night is a class tune, I love it. A lot of the earlier stuff is good, but some of it's just dull in comparison.

Graves every time.

Danzig era for sure. I really only like Static Age and Walk Among Us as far as Misfits albums go. I love the raw ass sound Static Age has, like it was produced under water. Songs like Bullet, Angel Fuck, and Attitude are fucking classics. I could really never get into the the newer breeds of Misfits incarnations, I'm a sucker for the classics.

Guest Thiia Deshi

Im more of a Danzig era fan...dunno why, I just perfer to listen to Misfits when Danzig was there, dont get me wrong, some of the newer stuff is great but I mark harder for Danzig...especially his solo stuff

I know it's tantamount to blasphemy to prefer the later Misfits stuff, but it's just better. It's more over-the-top corny and just plain fun and interesting rock and roll, and Saturday Night is a class tune, I love it. A lot of the earlier stuff is good, but some of it's just dull in comparison.

Graves every time.

I can see why people enjoy the older Misfits stuff, especially more hardcore Punk fans... but to be honest, music sounds a lot better to me when it's done the best it can be done. I'm not really a fan of the whole "it sounds like it was done underwater" thing, because I just don't think it sounds good for the most part.

Well, it definitely depends on the band for me. I love a trashy sounding rock tune, complete with a bit of rougher sounding recording. Obviously, not every band should have that sort of sound to them. For the original Misfits, it's one of the qualities I liked most about them, their sound fit perfectly with it. A band like Television for instance would sound ridiculous with a raw recording, they're much better off with the crisp recording sound. Like I said, it's all about who the band is, even some trashy rock and roll is better off with a cleaner sounding production.

KENNEDY'S SHATTERED HEAD HITS CONCRETE

RIDE JOHNNY RIDE

Danzig all the way. VerbalPuke's pretty much elaborated on it all already, he said what I was gonna say. So I'll finish this post off with

TEXAS IS THE REASON

YEAH

TEXAS IS THE REASON THAT THE PRESIDENT'S DEAD

I like both, but I prefer the older Danzig stuff. It's more catchy, and it's unique. Nothing sounds exactly like the Misfits, and nothing captures that same emotional essence either. The later stuff is still good, but if it was by another group, no one would have heard it.

And I hate Project 1950. I think it is one of the worst CD's I have ever heard. I dislike the vocals, and I just don't think the songs on the CD are very good.

Interesting tidbit... Graves had to really fight and push for Saturday Night to be included on the Famous Monsters album because Jerry didn't think it would fit. So, we were really close to the song being released on the Cuts From the Crypt album, which is not even half as readily available to fans as Monsters is.

To me, Danzig's Misfits are the only Misfits.

After he left the band just sounds different to me. He gave them power and a sense of toughness.

Michael Graves (who I saw in concert with his band Graves) made them sound wimpy by comparison.

And Jerry Only shouldn't ever go near a mic.

I actually really enjoy Jerry Only's voice. Has anyone heard the new Misfits Fiend Club Lounge CD?

Anyways, my top 5 songs from each era:

(in no order)

Danzig:

Come Back

American Nightmare

Astro Zombies

Where Eagles Dare

Teenagers From Mars

(in no order)

Graves:

Helena

Descending Angel