Sven to Quit after World Cup

lazy_arse

Oh yeah, I'm sure to look retarded. Man City have been playing brilliant this season. Playing great football and Pearce has everything going smoothly. Oh yeah, I definately look like a retard for thinking he's doing a great job.

Fuck off.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure I'll try and remember when either a)getting a team within one point of Europe from nothing (Pearce) and b)coming close to winning the UEFA Cup (O'Neill.....fuck it, like Scottish teams should ever imagine doing good in the Champions League) are shit achievements.

EDIT: Rangers did better than Celtic during O'Neill's reign, Kraig? He won 3 leagues, took them to the UEFA Cup final, and did one double (maybe including more cup wins, I'm unsure about that) in 5 years. The 3 league wins in 5 campaigns means by default they did better than Rangers, without even including the other stuff.

Edited by rvdwannabe

O'Neill's a good manager, but the fact is - he's not English, and the only job I think he actually wants is Man Utd. I think the United board are praying for his wife to snuff it again.

Big Sam is in no way tactically rigid - if he plays a certain way, it's to get results against a team who have better players than he does. His results against the top four are incredible. Look at the way Nolan plays in his system as well - Sam would love to play brilliant football, it's just not really an option with his limited resources. With the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney etc I'm sure he'd set up something nice.

Anyone think that the reason Sven's been in the job so long (he's the longest serving manager in recent times at least) is that there ISN'T anyone who could adequatly replace him.

First off I'm no big Sven fan, he's done a reasonable job, but some of his tactical decisions (4-5-1 against N Ireland and failing to push the team forward when in possesion of 1-0 leads) have been costly. For a 'master tactician' he has made some choices that even the armchair managers scratch their heads over.

He has got the team to three major international tounaments. Once there we've never really fulfilled our potential, but some of that has been down to bad luck, disallowed goals (I'm thinking Portugal here) and just the nature of the game (Ronaldino's free kick that put us out in Japan, and one team HAS to lose a penalty shoot-out- shame it had to be us). Overall he has done an acceptable job, despite being criticised for a lack of passion, and the tabloids poking around his private life.

I think it's bloody sad that some of our nations newspapers, in what most pundits are calling 'England's Year' are set on sabotaging the national team's chances. Look what happened to France when Santini announced that he was leaving to go to Spurs, crash and burn. I wonder if the same thing happened prior to the 1966 World Cup.

So now he's leaving, and I can't see anyone really equipped to take over.

Pearce? I'm a big fan, badly wanted him to take the Tottenham job in the bad ol' days of David Pleat. But he's only in his first full year of managment, and it really is too soon to take charge of a major national side, despite what everyone is saying about Klinsmann and van Basten. He's serving his apprentiship for the big job, if you will, but he DOESN'T WANT THE JOB (seeing how the England manager gets treated by the press, who can blame him). I'm sure that one day his passion will be a benifit to the National Team, but now is too soon.

O'Neil? taking time off, putting his family first (good for him). Probably wouldn't want the job anyway.

Maclaren? Probably the best of a bad bunch. Already involved with the England side, but not setting the world alight at 'Boro.

Allardyce? Not doing too shabbily at Bolton. Managing the international side would be a big step up from the young loan players, ageing Internationals and cast-offs that he's used to working with (Though he does do a fantastic job with what he's got).

Anyone foreign? I don't think we should pick another foreign manager. The Sven experiment hasn't been a shining success. Seeing Scotland under Berti Vogts was painful. We are seeing the effect of the top club sides in the country all appointing top foreign coaches. You have to go down to 6th place before you get to Wigan with Paul Jewell. And who was the last English manager to take a team into the Champion's league and be successful? No-one springs to mind, feel free to help me out.

I imagine that Maclaren will get the job if the FA appoint an Englishman. If not then Hiddink will probably land it (which might work out, I just don't think it's best). Whatever happens I still think that the way Sven has had to leave the job, prior to the biggest World Cup in terms of expectation for years.

Hopefully we'll be suprised. Maybe whoever is appointed next will be the best England coach for years, lead us to the next European Championships and win, not talk to any Shieks...

(incidentally how screwed must they be feeling now, some of those guys have LEGITIMATE BUISINESS DEALINGS! no-ones gonna want to associate with them now, poor rich bastards!)

Maybe Sven will lead England to the world cup victorious, the FA will beg him to stay and everything will be peachy? But the current crop of England candidates just don't scream INTERNATIONAL MANAGER! At least not the English ones.