Sven to Quit after World Cup

lazy_arse

Eriksson to quit after World Cup

Sven-Goran Eriksson will quit as England coach following this summer's World Cup finals.

Eriksson met with FA officials on Monday and will leave the job after six years in charge.

The 57-year-old Swede said: "I am happy that we have reached this agreement and can now continue our preparations for the World Cup.

"It is important to stress how committed I am to success this summer. Let's go and win the World Cup."

A compensation deal has been agreed on Eriksson's £4m-a-year contract, which was due to run out in 2008.

The England coach continued: "I know that I have the full support of the players and the FA.

SVEN'S SUCCESSOR

Sam Allardyce 5/2

Steve McClaren 7/2

Ottmar Hitzfeld 8/1

Martin O'Neill 10/1

Steve Bruce 12/1

Sir Trevor Brooking 20/1

Kevin Keegan 100/1

"I care passionately about this job and I want everyone to know that.

"I have always enjoyed the incredible support of the fans and I know how important they will be to us in Germany."

Eriksson has come under increasing pressure following an interview with an undercover reporter from the News of the World.

The latest revelations, published on Sunday, had him accusing Premiership managers of receiving illicit payments from transfer deals.

He has also been linked to jobs at Manchester United and Chelsea since taking over from Kevin Keegan.

FA chief executive Brian Barwick said: "The FA and Sven felt it was important to clarify his future.

"There has been so much speculation surrounding this matter in recent weeks and months, it was important to resolve it now.

"This is the right outcome and I would like to thank Sven and his advisors for their tremendous co-operation.

"Our main objective is giving Sven and the England team the best chance of achieving success at the World Cup and Sven is definitely the man to lead us in Germany."

Eriksson was watching West Ham play Fulham on Monday when the announcement was made at Soho Square.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sam Allardyce I would be interested in seeing, but I worry that he's too rigid in his tactics. And not that tactically sound at that. I hope Steve McClaren doesn't get it, because it'll just be the same thing with Middlesborough, but for England. Pearce and Jewell would be nice changes, but maybe they need a few more seasons to keep learning. Although saying that, Jewell has enough experience to do it. He's my personal choice for an English manager. If not him, then Guss Hiddink would be a good choice, considering what he did for Australia and Korea.

In any circumstances, I won't be to sad to see the back of Eriksson.

A mutual sacking. Nice. Just watched the press conference. Nothing interesting happened.

Why is everyone shitting over the nationality of the manager? As long as it's a good manager who knows the English game well, they'll do fine.

Some of the suggestions are hilarious...

Stuart Pearce? Bwaha, no. People used to say Sven was ugly and unemotional. What the hell would they think of Pearce? He looks like an Ian Beale lookalike crack addict. And he's been shit at Man City.

Martin O'Neill? Don't be stupid. He left football to tend to his family (his wife mainly). And he was shit.

Kevin Keegan? Bwaaaahahahaa, no. Just no. Nobody likes him. He's like Gary Glitter. They even have the same weird superhero/villain names.

Paul Jewell? No. He's good...at Wigan. But that's Wigan.

Guus Hiddink? No. Why, he hasn't been involved in English football whatsoever, unless you count signing Steve McManaman during his 2 minute run at Real Madrid. He seems to be constantly job hopping. His best was at PSV Eindhoven, but the Dutch league is nothing like England.

Alex Ferguson? That would just be...retarded. A Scot managing England? Why not just get Rudi Voller?

Jose Mourinho? Why would he give a shit? He barely looks like he cares about Chelsea, for which he's getting paid very well for. I don't think he wants the extra annoyance, money or pressure.

Arsene Wenger? Similar to Jose. And the fact he'd be wanting France to win throughout.

Steve McLaren? He's probably the best choice overall. But Middlesbrough have been playing so poorly recently. It's hurt his reputation.

For some reason, I see something stupid happening, and Bobby Robson getting the job or something. I can't pick anyone. I like Alan Curbishly, since he's done awesomely at Charlton, he's very in touch with the English players and leagues and is, actually, English as well. But again, it's like Paul Jewell, Charlton haven't really had that many big games, like cup finals.

I'd bet on McLaren getting it though.

Big Phil is the man that has to be top of the list.

And seriously Kraig, O'Neill, Pearce and Jewell are all quite good or at least off to a good start . Maybe not at the required level for such a big job but to say O'Neill was shit is quite blalently retarded. Oh wait, a bluenose? Ah.

Edited by 9 to 5

Martin O'Neill? Don't be stupid. He left football to tend to his family (his wife mainly). And he was shit.

Martin O'Neill was shit?

:lmao:

Stuart Pearce? Bwaha, no. People used to say Sven was ugly and unemotional. What the hell would they think of Pearce? He looks like an Ian Beale lookalike crack addict. And he's been shit at Man City.

Who cares if the manager look hot?

And he'a been rather good at City.

Edited by Dan