Souness Sacked

Newcastle dismiss manager Souness

Newcastle have announced that Graeme Souness' contract has been terminated with immediate effect.

The Magpies have won only one point in six Premiership matches and are only six points above the relegation zone.

A statement on the club's website read: "The employment of Graeme Souness has been terminated with immediate effect.

"And an announcement will be made shortly regarding transitional arrangements pending the appointment of a new team manager."

Souness took charge of Newcastle in September 2004 after Bobby Robson was sacked.

He's been unlucky in the way that allot off the players he signed seemed to be injured all the time but he can't have many complaints. The results simply weren't good enough.

Who gets the job now? I've heard there's some Swedish bloke about to become free :P

Shame, Souness had terrible problems with injuries to his decent squad.

You have to question why he had so many injuries here and at Blackburn. Rumour has it that he trains his teams like he was trained at Liverpool, it's fucking prehistoric.

Yeah, I thought about that, but I dunno....some of them seemed like things he couldn't have banked against, such as hernias and what not.

Oh well, I still think Newcastle have a potential top-6 ish team amongst thier squad, they just need someone to get them working...oh, and buy some defenders.

And get rid of Boumsong. I think he's a perfect example of the gulf in class between the SPL and Premiership. The guy was brilliant for Rangers and always looked shit hot. Now when he plays for Newcastle, he looks so out of his depth it's not even funny.

I think he should have been given longer, what with all the injuries and other bullshit he had to deal with (remember that punchup? (¬_¬)).

Glad they're keeping guys involved with the club in charge. Roeder and Shearer probably know the team better than anyone else, besides Souness obviously.

Boooooooooo I liked Souness in charge it was nice seeing Newcastle fall further down the league.

Mind you they're hardly safe as a loss to Portsmouth will take them within 3 points of the dropzone.

Surely they'll choose a decent manager this time as Shearer isn't qualified yet.

Personally, I could see Shearer doing a good job for Newcastle.

You just really love Alan Shearer don't you? You're always sucking him off :shifty:

Not to knock the guy, he was a great player and all, but I can count the great players that made great and not abysmal managers on one hand. Which is why I'm always doubtful whenever someone who was once very good turns to managing.

As kraigy mentioned, it's not as if he is going to a random club, he is at the team he supports and has played for for over a decade, and he should know the inner workings of the club more than anyone.

Will that make a him a good manager? Nope, not necessarily. But look at managers like Coleman, who stepped up straight from playing to Premiership football management and has done a good job (coming from a Fulham fan), so it can go the other way just as easily.

Guest Ringo Von Masterson

Coleman, however, was far from what you would call a great player. The likes of Sam Allardyce or Martin Jol have also done well but they weren't great players either.

There seems to be a correlation. Great players do not make great managers usually. Graeme Souness was a good player, he's a shit manager. Michel Platini was an outstanding player, as a manager he was pure crap. It's usually the background players that make the best managers, which is why I'm skeptical when you hear Shearer linked as Newcastle manager.

I'm not saying he'll turn out bad, I'm just saying that usually, signs tend to point to him becoming not so great.