The Guitar Hero Thread

apsham

Rented it from Blockbuster on Wensday for the 360 before going to see "9"(which is a very good flick). Went back to my bro's house and popped it in his 360, and I gotta say its better then i thought it would be.

I only have two, no make that three, complaints to go with it. One; everything is unlocked from the start, maybe its just the way that I prefer to play games but I like to work for my songs. Two; if I have a male vocalist in my band and there is song coming up done by a girl the vocalist don't shift to the right gender, again just the way I am it just seems doesn't right for a guy to be singing a song by a gal. Three; it is too easy, the only song i really have problems with is "The Spirit of Radio" on expert guitar other then that everything else just seems easier to me for some reason.

Yet it isn't all bad. The presentation is very well done, graphics are improved, can play as Johnny Cash(who is creepy when you set him on vocals), PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC, and the soundtrack isn't half bad though it could be better.

So yeah, the game is good and when I actually get some cash I may pick it up for my PS3.

I see the difficulty problem as being that people have been playing these games since at least GHII or sometimes GHI. Playing that many games of the same type for that long will give you the skill to make something like GHV seem piss easy. Activision arn't going to bump up the difficulty especially after everyone bitched about GHIII.

The thing is, GH3 was he first music/rhythm game I ever played, so everything seems piss easy in comparison anyway. I WANT it to be GH3 level of difficulty, or closer too it.

So far, I'm finding this a perfectly reasonable game that I'll dip into semi-regularly for a quick song or two, especialy if they release some nice DLC.

I have one more thing to add to my list of complaints, they censored "2 Minutes to Midnight". When I first heard it I was thinking, "Why the fuck are they censoring to kill?" The only thing I can think of is that maybe the whole lyrics for that segment can be an allusion to abortion or something. But still, it just seems wrong to censor the song when it doesn't need to be.

• 1 month later...

I don't want to bump a topic that hasn't been posted for 2 months, but I thought this was interesting..

Activision's decision to include the late Kurt Cobain as a playable character in Guitar Hero 5 was considered by some to be tasteless. However, the situation turned into a public relations gaffe after the late singer's wife, Courtney Love, claimed that she hadn't been informed that Cobain's avatar would be able to perform any song in the game.

No Doubt's continued inclusion in Band Hero is less than certain.

Now, one more act has stepped up to protest the use of its in-game likeness in ways apparently not made clear by Activision. The Los Angeles Times reports today that No Doubt has filed a suit against Activision over its appearance in Band Hero, which debuted this week on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2, Wii, and DS. The suit reportedly claims that the publisher did not have the contractual right to allow No Doubt band members to be used in songs other than the ones they had provided for the game, those being "Just a Girl," "Don't Speak," and "Excuse Me Mr."

"The band [members] are bitterly disappointed that their name and likeness was taken and used without their permission," No Doubt manager Jim Guerinot told the LA Times. "They agreed to play three No Doubt songs as a band…Activision then went and put them in 62 other songs and broke the band up [and] never even asked."

No Doubt reportedly took exception in its suit with having individual band members perform other artists' songs, particularly those that include suggestive lyrics such as The Rolling Stones' "Honky Tonk Woman."

"While No Doubt are avid fans of the Rolling Stones and even have performed in concerts with the Rolling Stones, the Character Manipulation Feature results in an unauthorized performance by the Gwen Stefani avatar in a male voice boasting about having sex with prostitutes," the suit states.

The complaint reportedly goes on to note that Activision intentionally did not tell the members of No Doubt that their avatars could be used to perform other songs. The statement echoes an allegation leveled by '80s rock icon Jon Bon Jovi following the Cobain flap. Speaking about meeting with Activision about having his likeness appear in the game, Bon Jovi said that "no one even broached the subject with me that I would be singing other people's stuff."

No Doubt's complaint goes on to note that Activision refused to remove band members' likenesses from the game or lock them to the group's songs, with the publisher allegedly saying that such a move would be "too expensive."

"Activision has a written agreement to use No Doubt in Band Hero--an agreement signed by No Doubt after extensive negotiations with its representatives, who collectively have decades of experience in the entertainment industry," the publisher said in response to the suit. "Pursuant to that agreement, Activision worked with No Doubt and the band's management in developing Band Hero…Activision is exploring its own legal options with respect to No Doubt's obligations under the agreement."

Ok Activision..when one person complains about using Kurt Cobain, saying "Should've read the contract" is a valid argument. When 3 bands are complaining of it, it starts to look like "Not clearly stated in the contract" is a much more likely problem.

And stop flooding the market! In the time we've had 3 Rock Band games, theres been:

guitar Hero 4

Guitar Hero 5

Band Hero

DJ Hero

Guitar Hero Metallica

Guitar Hero Van Halen

and possibly one or two I"m forgetting..

Only in terms of bearing the Hero title. If Activision called it something else it would still be somewhat revolutionary, as it's unique enough to not be considered in the over saturation of the market. Games like GH5, Band Hero, and various other GH/Rock Band games are over saturating in the sense that they offer little in terms of ingenuity or other factors. Van Halen vs. Beatles comes to mind. With Beatles they took a formula that was mainly the same, and I don't consider it over saturation due to the dreamscapes/likeness of The Beatles. Where as Van Halen doesn't do a lot besides have the older versions of the rockers in various venues, much like GH: Aerosmith. DJ Hero has enough perks and positives that, in my mind, causes to not be part of the over saturation of the rhythm game genre.

In Activision's defence (first and likely last time I'll ever use that phrase) DJ Hero is bloody amazing, sure there's too many guitar/band games, but DJ'ing is significantly different enough to not be included on that list.

I admit, DJ Hero does look really interesting to me. I'm just afraid of shelling out the money for it and not liking it

In Activision's defence (first and likely last time I'll ever use that phrase) DJ Hero is bloody amazing, sure there's too many guitar/band games, but DJ'ing is significantly different enough to not be included on that list.

I admit, DJ Hero does look really interesting to me. I'm just afraid of shelling out the money for it and not liking it

DJ Hero is fucking awesome. Pretty much finished medium the first day I got it.

Awesome selection of tunes. I had to download the soundtrack because of the stuff that's on there. :shifty:

edit: word filters. goddammit.

Edited by (həd)

• 4 weeks later...

Which guitar is it? There should be a button on it somewhere, probably with a symbol near or on it of three lines arcing out like a wave. Press that and then press the sync button on the 360 which is to the right of the memory unit slots, underneath the disc tray. The two should then be on speaking terms.

You may need to switch which one you press first, i.e 360 first and then guitar. I forget which way around you're supposed to do it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My red pad seems to have died out. It doesn't register every hit and when it does it's always double hits. I have the drum tuning kit software and tried the upping and downing the sensitivity, just to see if it was a problem, but no such luck. I guess I will have to buy a new one eventually since this is long past the warranty. Gamestop lists the drum set as $89 and RedOctane's Guitar Hero Store does as well, but the difference is they have a game to get with it (and a microphone). Since I have all the other games except for Band Hero, I might as well get that with it if it is the same price. I never planned on buying that game since I only liked a few songs they had on it and not enough to justify spending $60 on it.

• 7 months later...

Thread Resurrection~!

I'm surprised no one has brought this back sooner since Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock was announced (or, Guitar Hero 6 to you and me).

Anyway, it will have 90+ songs and the following have already been confirmed:

"2112 Pt. 1 – Overture" Rush

"2112 Pt. 2 – The Temples of Syrinx" Rush

"2112 Pt. 3 – Discovery" Rush

"2112 Pt. 4 – Presentation" Rush

"2112 Pt. 5 – Oracle: The Dream" Rush

"2112 Pt. 6 – Soliloquy" Rush

"2112 Pt. 7 – Grand Finale" Rush

"Again" Flyleaf

"Aqualung" Jethro Tull

"Bat Country" Avenged Sevenfold

"Been Caught Stealing" Jane's Addiction

"Black Rain" Soundgarden

"Black Widow of La Porte" John 5

"Bleed It Out" Linkin Park

"Bloodlines" Dethklok

"Bodies" Drowning Pool

"Bohemian Rhapsody" Queen

"Burn" Deep Purple

"Burnin' for You" Blue Öyster Cult

"Call Me the Breeze" (Live) Lynyrd Skynyrd

"Calling" Strung Out

"Chemical Warfare" Slayer

"Cherry Bomb" a The Runaways

"Children of the Grave" Black Sabbath

"Dance, Dance" Fall Out Boy

"Dancing Through Sunday" AFI

"Fascination Street" The Cure

"Feels Like the First Time" Foreigner

"Free Ride" The Edgar Winter Group

"Fury of the Storm" DragonForce

"Hard to See" Five Finger Death Punch

"Holy Wars… The Punishment Due" Megadeth

"I'm Broken" Pantera

"I'm Not Okay (I Promise)" My Chemical Romance

"If You Want Peace... Prepare for War" Children of Bodom

"Indians" Anthrax

"Interstate Love Song" Stone Temple Pilots

"Love Gun" Kiss

"Machinehead" Bush

"Modern Day Cowboy" Tesla

"Money for Nothing" Dire Straits

"Motivation" Sum 41

"Move It On Over" (Live) George Thorogood and the Destroyers

"No More Mr. Nice Guy" a Alice Cooper

"No Way Back" Foo Fighters

"Paranoid" (Live) Metallica & Ozzy Osbourne

"Pour Some Sugar on Me" (Live) Def Leppard

"Psychosocial" Slipknot

"Ravenous" Atreyu

"Re-Ignition" (Live) Bad Brains

"Renegade" Styx

"(You Can Still) Rock in America" Night Ranger

"Savior" Rise Against

"Scumbag Blues" Them Crooked Vultures

"Self Esteem" The Offspring

"Seven Nation Army" The White Stripes

"Sharp Dressed Man" (Live) ZZ Top

"Speeding" Steve Vai

"Stray Cat Blues" The Rolling Stones

"Sudden Death" Megadeth

"Theme from Spider-Man" Ramones

"The Outsider" A Perfect Circle

"There's No Secrets This Year" Silversun Pickups

"This Day We Fight!" Megadeth

"Tick Tick Boom" The Hives

"Ties that Bind" Alter Bridge

"Unskinny Bop" Poison

"Uprising" Muse

"Waidmanns Heil" Rammstein

"We're Not Gonna Take It" Twisted Sister

"What Do I Get?" Buzzcocks

"Wish" Nine Inch Nails

I hope this leads to the game getting back to what made GH3 the best rhythm game around. Yes, Rock Band has the better DLC (and is easier), but GH3 was more fun - even GH5 wasn't that bad.

GH3 was arse, I think that one was the worst for the ridiculous notecharts that essentially made up note just make them harder to play. This one will likely be arse too. The track list isn't bad, I suppose, but Neversoft seem hell bent on developing this for the no-natural-light-or-real-social-interaction high-score dorks, and I've no interest obliterating my fingers on a plastic instrument to beat some dude who probably elastic banded buttons down to get high scores on TTFATF.

• 5 weeks later...

GH3 was arse, I think that one was the worst for the ridiculous notecharts that essentially made up note just make them harder to play. This one will likely be arse too. The track list isn't bad, I suppose, but Neversoft seem hell bent on developing this for the no-natural-light-or-real-social-interaction high-score dorks, and I've no interest obliterating my fingers on a plastic instrument to beat some dude who probably elastic banded buttons down to get high scores on TTFATF.

I much prefer GH3 to any of the other games in either GH or RB series. And no, I'm not that good at it either (I can't currently get past medium difficulty on any of the games) - GH3 just seemed like much more fun than the rest. Great play list and a challenging note chart.

I think the problem is that I find Rock Band to be too 'safe'. Nothing is that challenging on medium on Rock Band, whereas Through the Fire and the Flames and Raining Blood are both just that.