The Guitar Hero Thread

apsham

A Guitar Hero 2 demo comes with this month's Offical Playstation Magazine. It has You Really Got Me, Shout At The Devil, Strutter, and YYZ on all difficulties and I've heard co-op mode is available, though have yet to test it. Hammer-ons and Pull-offs are significantly easier to do in this version, and if these songs are any indication, the game will generally be harder than the first. 3 of the 4 songs in the demo are from the first two tiers(supposedly), and in GH1 they'd probably be in either the third or fourth tier. Strutter, in particular, has a pretty complex chord progression as one of the main riffs. YYZ is a tough song, I only got 82% of the notes on my first play through.

What bothers me, though, is how in this demo, you can't seem to access the bass/rhythm guitar parts from the single-player quick play menu. I'm worried the only way to play bass/rhythm guitar is in co-op mode, which sucks since I wanna play the bass on YYZ or John The Fisherman without having another person around.

Yeah... They haven't said anything about the bass/rhythm guitar being available in single player.... unless they're hiding it from us until the game's release.

Also, I was looking at the wikipedia page for Guitar Hero II and I saw this...

- Marcus Henderson had the following quote in regards to the final song: "You'll know it when it arrives. This is a major, major guitar ass-kicker. It has no less than 11 guitar solos in it."

Is that "Freebird" he's talking about or is it an even harder song?

Edited by The Z-Man

Yeah... I didn't think it was "Freebird", due to it being pretty much one long solo in that song.

How do they separate the eleven guitar solos though? Are there verses scattered throughout the song or do they trade off?

I ask as I've only heard the song probably once or twice.

Edited by The Z-Man

No, there's only two verses and a chorus. The rest of the 5:11 song is instrumental, mainly cosisting of duelling guitars between Friedman and Mustaine. The total of which makes up eleven solos. I imagine you'll have to play both mens parts if it's claiming you have to do eleven solos.

IGN has revealed the final tracklist (excluding the bonus songs), 40 in total.

1. Opening Licks

Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil

Danzig - Mother

Cheap Trick - Surrender

Wolfmother - Woman

Spinal Tap - Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight

2. Amp-Warmers

Kiss - Strutter

Nirvana - Heart-Shaped Box

Police - Message in a Bottle

Van Halen - You Really Got Me

Kansas - Carry on Wayward Son

3. String-Snappers

Foo Fighters - Monkey Wrench

Alice in Chains - Them Bones

Iggy Pop and the Stooges - Search and Destroy

Pretenders - Tattooed Love Boys

Black Sabbath - War Pigs

4. Thrash and Burn

Warrant - Cherry Pie

Butthole Surfers - Who Was in My Room Last Night

Mathew Sweet - Girlfriend

Rolling Stones - Can't You Hear Me Knockin'

Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine

5. Return of the Shred

Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name Of

Primus - John the Fisherman

Sword - Freya

Thin Lizzy - Bad Reputation

Aerosmtih - Last Child

6. Relentless Riffs

Heart - Crazy on You

Stone Temple Pilots - Tripping on a Hole in a Paper Heart

Stray Cats - Rock This Town

Allman Brothers - Jessica

Jane's Addiction - Stop

7. Furious Fretwork

Anthrax - Madhouse

Living End - Carry Me Home

Lamb of God - Laid to Rest

Reverend Horton Heat - Psychobilly Freakout

Rush - YYZ

8. Face-Melters

Avenged Sevenfold - Beast and the Harlot

Suicidal Tendencies - Institutionalized

Dick Dale - Misirlou

Megadeth - Hangar 18

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird

Gamespot has 5 new videos featuring full playthroughs of Jessica, Them Bones, Sweet Child O' Mine, Surrender, and Misirlou. After watching them, I gotta say... Fuck Misirlou. Fuck Dick Dale. And fuck Quinten Tarantino for popularizing a song that will undoubtedly be a major source of physical and mental pain and suffering in about a month.

I'm surprised Strutter is so low on the track list, it's kind of a tough song. I'm also surprised Trippin' on A Hole In A Paper Heart is so high, it doesn't seem that hard from what I've seen/heard. YYZ on the other hand, is in it's proper place, considering I can't get past 30% on expert.

And I've discovered, though haven't heard it mentioned anywhere, that in addition to Officially Licensed Gibson Guitars, there are also Officially Licensed Gibson Basses in the game.

Edited by Fanku Kaibutsu

First person to do Hanger 18 on expert gets 15 cookies.

I agree, although if Into The Lungs Of Hell was in this game, it'd give Hangar 18 a run for its money, if only for the first part of the speed guitar. When first hearing the song, that bit hits so hard it's like getting smacked in the face with a fridge.

Does anyone know if the Official Playstation Magazine with the Guitar Hero II demo came out on newstands today in the US or was it just a release date for subscribers?

Edited by The Z-Man

October 10th was the day it was supposed to be at all of the stores. I actually bought mine though Saturday though at a local Hastings.

Final tracklist looks cool, I'll be interested in what the bonus songs are. I heard the liscensed tracks are ones they had to pay for, where as the bonus songs are ones that artists gave them for free. Rumors right now are that it's big names donating, such as Pantera and such.

As for the demo, I made it through all the songs on expert the first time through. All of the other ones I did decent on, I had to use star power though to save me on the solo part of YYZ. Convinced me to pre-order it so I can get it the day it comes out.

A7X?

It's got A7X?

Dude, I am so buying this when it comes out. I don't care how much it costs. Hell, I'll buy a second controller if that's the only way they'll have the game in stock. I don't care about the rest, but dammit...well, actually, The Beast and the Harlot is an okay selection, but something from Waking the Fallen or Sounding the Seventh Trumpet probably would have been cooler.

Still, good selection overall.

Wonder what they'll have in the loading screens, now that "Free Bird" is actually a playable song...

Edited by Nick Adams