Fuck you Jack Johnson. Shitty cover songs ahoy

Quom

Avril Lavigne's version of Chop Suey is clearly just taking the piss. It's not a serious cover so I don't understand why everyone makes such a big deal about it.

Not that I like her or anything. Every serious cover I've heard her do has been really bad. And I just remembered that she did a cover of Knocking on Heaven's Door. Ugh!

Creed - "I'm Eighteen" is one of the worst offenders, in my mind. Alice Cooper is fantastic, yeah, he's done some shite, but Eighteen is not amongst it. Creed's version, however, is.

The worst cover I've heard in a long time is Velvet Revolver squatting over and taking a giant shit on Pink Floyd's "Money" on the Italian Job soundtrack. Now I'm not one of those people that think anyone covering Floyd should burn in hell, but the cover is just an atrocity. I'd rather listen to the dying screams of an infant than to sit through that again.

1. I never heard much of the Ramones' Tribute CD, but I LOVED Metallica's "53rd and 3rd", as well as the b-side covers they did (Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue, Cretin Hop, Commando, Today Your Love, Tomorrow The World and We're a Happy Family)

2. While we're on the subject of covers...any one hear Limp bizkit's cover of "Bitter Sweet Symphony"? I'm really curious what it sounds like.

1. You're problem is having a White Stripes' song as your favorite song. Get a real song as your favorite, like 'Freebird'.

I don't like you anymore.

And Avril attempting "Chop Suey" wins the prize. Even SHE realized that it was an awful attempt by the end.

Normally I regard cover songs as original songs that just happen to be written by another band. I hate it when a band covers a song, and the song is exactly the same way. Why not just their original version on your CD?

That being said, The Flaming Lips (and maybe half of the Killer Queen tribute album artists) need to die, and die quickly.

1. You're problem is having a White Stripes' song as your favorite song. Get a real song as your favorite, like 'Freebird'.

And Avril attempting "Chop Suey" wins the prize. Even SHE realized that it was an awful attempt by the end.

What is wrong with 'Freebird'? Its not like its my sole favorite song. I can never pick, they tend to rotate based on mood. If I made a list, it'd probably be something like...

Angel Wings - Social Distortion

Freebird - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Simple Man - Lynyrd Skynyrd

A.D.I.D.A.S. - KoRn

Sink the Bismark - Johnny Horton

Chiva - DI

Helena - The Misfits

Yeah, I'm strange.

What is wrong with 'Freebird'? Its not like its my sole favorite song. I can never pick, they tend to rotate based on mood. If I made a list, it'd probably be something like...

Angel Wings - Social Distortion

Freebird - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Simple Man - Lynyrd Skynyrd

A.D.I.D.A.S. - KoRn

Sink the Bismark - Johnny Horton

Chiva - DI

Helena - The Misfits

Yeah, I'm strange.

Strange because you like a wide mix of music?

Doesn't that make a lot of us weird..... :shifty:

Although I dunno why, I never dug A.D.I.D.A.S for whatever reason.

Edited by HGwannabe

A cover that's better than the original? Joss Stone's version of the White Stripes' "Fell In Love (With A Boy)" or whatever its called.

I don't know if anyone here ever heard it, but Ugly Kid Joe did a damn good cover of "Cats In The Cradle", but it would be impossible for anyone to do a cover of it that is better than the original.

And Garth Brooks did a great cover of KISS' "Hard Luck Woman". What makes it even more surreal is that he once performed it live on the Tonight Show with KISS, in full makeup, backing him up! (I'm still kicking myself for not taping it)

Alice Cooper once did a cover of "I Got A Line On You" that was pretty good. It was done for a movie, but I don't remember what.

And Megadeth did a cover of Alice Cooper's "No More Mr. Nice Guy" for the movie Shocker. It remains the only cover of an Alice Cooper song I've ever heard that I think is any good.

Murderdolls did a decent cover of Billy Idol's "White Wedding", but I've also heard No Doubt did a cover of it. I've yet to hear it if it is true. But I'd love to see more covers of Billy Idol songs. Specifically, "Flesh For Fantasy" (preferrably by a female singer, just to see how it would sound) and "Eyes Without A Face", my two favorite songs by him OTHER than "White Wedding". I know someone did a cover of "Dancing With Myself", but I forget who, and I doubt anyone could do a cover of "Rebel Yell" that wouldn't sound like shit compared to the original.

Worst cover ever?

Three words: Britney Spears, "Satisfaction".

Someone should have been SHOT for that.

You all EWB are crazy. Seriously, I'm shocked and GENUINELY appalled (sp?) that Dukes is the first and only person to mention this, I'm not even a Britney hater, in fact the occasional song has been known to creep onto my playlist, but her version is just... blergh. It takes a fantastic song and doesn't even make it terrible, it just makes it below mediocre, and that is even worse.

Edited by GhostMachine

What is wrong with 'Freebird'?

About four minutes longer than it needs to be and the stuff leading up to the guitar solo tends to leave me comatose, and the guitar solo is mostly fun for mock-rocking out. I don't think it's a BAD song, just... long. "Stairway to Heaven" on the other hand...

And it probably doesn't help that I have a friend who practically demands that "Freebird" be played any time he is driving anyone anywhere.

Edited by GoGo Yubari