English football fans, help me!

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Guest Mr. Potato Head

So I've decided to take up an interest in English football, and have been playing FIFA 2000 a fair bit (it's a start...)

What I need is a rooting interest. So, I appeal to EWB...what club should I root for? Whichever club it is, there is some criteria I have to set in place...

-must be a Premiership team

-must be a team that doesn't seem to be in any danger of relegation over the next few years

-not a team where I'll seem like a bandwagon-hopper

And to those of you wondering why I've suddenly made this decision at the END of the season...no idea.

I'm leaning towards either Arsenal or Liverpool, but really have no idea. So what club should I root for, and why?

Leicester City >_>

Or just don't root for any club, just enjoy the football. You shouldn't have to force yourself to choose a team really, just watch some Premiership football and if you need to support a team you'll probably just find yourself going nuts behind one more than another and work it out for yourself.

Or just don't root for any club, just enjoy the football. You shouldn't have to force yourself to choose a team really, just watch some Premiership football and if you need to support a team you'll probably just find yourself going nuts behind one more than another and work it out for yourself.

Yeah, actually I'll second TAFKA's notion. Just watch some, put your support behind whichever team you want to game to game, and one team might stand out to you more over time.

Leicester City >_>

Leicester City >_>

Wise words there. A friend of mine came over from Canada to live in London and started following the premiership. She is now a die hard Fulham fan and I honestly have no idea why.

Ask RM, and he'll tell you that Fulham are one of the more entertaining sides in the Prem (picking RM as a neutral voice). Not many teams play football as well as we can when we get going, our form is just erratic as fuck.

With me I forced myself to support Manchester Utd as a kid when all my friends did, I didn't particulary enjoy that phase though, despite Cantona and etc doing well it didn't appeal to me. So I went off football for a year or so, then I went to see Leicester play Middlesbrough in the Coca Cola Cup Final in 97 with my dad - being a Leicester boy, and something just clicked. From that day on no other team apart from Leicester (and to a lesser extent England) can get me so wound up and into a match.

EDIT - I agree Fulham are one of the better Prem teams to watch, but sadly they could fall fowl of relegation in the next two years. I hope they don't though, but they are on the cusp.

Edited by TAFKA Castroneves

Leicester City >_>

Wise words there. A friend of mine came over from Canada to live in London and started following the premiership. She is now a die hard Fulham fan and I honestly have no idea why.

Guest Ringmaster The Living Legend

Leicester City >_>

When I started following American sides, dragsy told me to check out some websites about the teams, to see what team grabbed my attention, I suggest doing that. Pick a team because you like the idea of them, not because we suggest a team.

Go to www.premierleague.com if you're intent on a top-flight team.

If I were you, I'd go for West Ham. They're filled with good young English players (Reo-Coker, Anton Ferdinand, Ashton ect.) and all of them are looking like they're only going to get better. They've got good manager in Pardew as well. They've got a chance of making it in Europe this season but it looks more likely next season.

Or you could say the same about Spurs. They're got the likes of King, Dawson, Defoe, Carrick and Robinson who are all absolutely shit hot. And Martin Jol is a great manager and appears to be a top bloke as well. Unlike West Ham, getting into Europe looks to be a cert this season. They're currently sitting 4th with Arsenal and Blackburn breathing down their neck.

Id say watch a few games but stay clear of Man U and Chelsea because that is the ultimate for juping on the bandwagon , it was Arsenal but not this year. Id say Spurs , as a Spurs fan but our football has been less and less attractive this year , from as far back as i can remember to last year we played the best football in the premiership , fast paced , attacking play but not anymore . West Ham is another team you could look out for they play some fantastic football .

I'd say you should support Middlesborough as they have a chance to win Silverware, and are still in 2 Cup Competitions this year. Yet they're not that successful in the league and don't have many fans as it is so you wouldn't be a bandwagon jumper.

A good idea though would be to support Reading as although not in the Premiership right now, they have just been promoted and will be there next season and it'll be a nerve wrecking season to see if you'll survive.

Two other options are either the 'distance from home' rule, meaning you'd end up with Wrexham or Cardiff, my geographys not ace. Or the Soccer AM all league clubs in a hat system. Must be Prem? Bandwaaaaagon!

Pick Reading, thats the obvious solution, next season will be crazy fun.