Reasons why Matthew Tuck is a dumbass...

livid

Guitarist/vocalist Matthew "Matt" Tuck of the Welsh metalcore act BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE — who are currently on the road in North America as the opening act on a three-band package also featuring LACUNA COIL and headliners ROB ZOMBIE — has posted the following message on his group's official message board (where he posts under the name "Mattie") (comment in question was posted on the BFMV message board today, April 6, 2006 at 4:34 p.m. U.K. time):

"Yo, check it. We get just 30 minutes on this ZOMBIE tour, that's it!!! So there's not a lot of time to fuck around. Apologies for not playing all these [songs], but shit, man, you can't please all the people all the time. Next time, bro. As for the merchandise, ZOMBIE makes us price match him so, yup, it's fuckin $40 for a t-shirt, which is insane, I know. Greedy money-grabbing fucks. We're only allowed two pieces of merch, too, which sucks ass. Unfortunately, being first on on a tour like this sucks, but it's gotta be done. As I write this, I'm sitting on the fuckin' floor of the venue 'coz we don't have a dressing room again, 'coz fuckin Zombie takes them all for him, his band and crew. Basically, we are shit to him, but fuck it — if this is what it takes to get a name over here, then it's gotta be done. I'm not one to fuck around with words, so yes, we are not being treated well on this tour. Oh yeah, we don't get a soundcheck either. Fuckin' pissed at this tour, man."

BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE's debut album, "The Poison", has sold 36,000 copies in the United States since its February 14, 2006 release. ROB ZOMBIE's latest effort, "Educated Horses", registered a first-week tally of 107,000 to debut at No. 5 on next week's The Billboard 200 chart. LACUNA COIL's 2002 album, "Comalies", has sold more than 230,000 copies in the United States, while its newly issued follow-up, "Karmacode", is expected to shift between 30,000 and 40,000 copies in its first week of release.

I like Bullet for my Valentine... and while it was horribly un-intelligent of him to make those remarks... I have to agree with him. Having gone to shows where the headlining band forces supporting acts to jack up their prices, it just doesn't seem right. If Bullet want to sell their t-shirts for half what Zombie charges, why shouldn't they be allowed to?

Either way, people going to the tour likely aren't going for Bullet anyways. Zombie and Lacuna are the top acts, and tickets probably sold based off those two bands alone.

Then you're getting ripped off. I've only paid twenty bucks for a T-Shirt once. Everything else is about fifteen. Zero Cipher was eight quid.

Usually the shirts at the gigs over here are around $30 - $40 so it's quite common for the prices to be that high at a big gig like this one, so he's whining about what's the norm. Sure you can do that, but nobody's going to be sympathetic when it's normal to be priced that much.

Then you're getting ripped off. I've only paid twenty bucks for a T-Shirt once. Everything else is about fifteen. Zero Cipher was eight quid.

Usually the shirts at the gigs over here are around $30 - $40 so it's quite common for the prices to be that high at a big gig like this one, so he's whining about what's the norm. Sure you can do that, but nobody's going to be sympathetic when it's normal to be priced that much.

Regardless, if people who went to these gigs stopped spending money on these shirts and settled for the cheaper eBay option, then they'd be forced to lower their prices. $35 is actually £20, so $40's even more. There's no way you can justify selling a piece of cloth at that price just because it's at a gig.

Making support bands price match is bullshit as well. By definition, they're not going to be as big as the main bands (aside from the 1 or 2 people who might have gone just to see them) so people are going to be less willing to pay the same price for a BFMV shirt than they are for the main acts.

Forty dollars? That's ridiculous. When I saw Gorillaz a few years back I got a t-shirt for twenty-five bucks, and that's absolutely the most I would ever consider spending on a t-shirt for any band other than The Pillows anyway.