Smackdown! VS RAW 2007

Guest Anti-Hero

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I normally ignore most people's complaints on games, but this game is honestly shit.

Why is it every year something is taken out for no reason? And before anyone remotely makes comment about space, I just put the game in my DVD drive 4.14 GBs does not use up a whole disc, especially when at least 3 gigs of that is the videos and voicework (the PS2 version at least).

Why are so many fucking moves gone? Why can't I have a simple plain black T-shirt with a created wrestler? Why does it honestly have to load a "And Later That Night" screen in season mode? Why do created wrestlers not carry belts if you even want to remotely have a decent custom entrance? Why the fuck does Bret Hart still do that ridiculous jumping spin kick? Why can Super Crazy not even fucking pick up Matt Hardy of all people?

These are just a paltry number of questions... That I may be able to think of answers if not for the ridiculously shitty commentary and god awful and repetitive soundtrack hadn't given me a headache.

This game is not an improvement over any of the previous games, it is a complete step back with people ooohing and ahhhing a small collection of controllable moves, better selling (how many games did that take?) and "new" control system that is exactly the same thing as the previous games. Hell, you can still play this like the old ones (albeit I prefer controller type B).

This game does nothing but boggle my mind with how shitty it is.

And why the fuck is my average match length a little over 3 minutes? It takes almost as much time to get through all the loading and checking to have a match that long. I got punched by Batista with Triple H and my chest went instantly yellow.

Also, why do people think they stay down longer? Maybe compared to the last game, but I just finished my Survivor Series match against Bradshaw who not only took 2 consecutive pedigrees but also a leap of faith through an announce table not long after. Yet he got up before I could even regain my stamina.

I also find it irritating to have fully functional models of Vince McMahon, Stephanie, Jim Ross... Hell, Tony Chimmel, yet you can't use them. Maybe I was spoiled by No Mercy and the Aki games in general, but come on... Especially considering Vince has wrestled a decent amount this year. More than his son.

And where is the ECW representation? If Umaga is in the damn game, along with some more recent occurances, why not even just Sabu? Looking at the sample PPVs is laughable when you take a gander at One Night Stand. A hole two matches.

Actually... As much as they irritate the shit out of me, where is the Spirit Squad? They've been around for a fair length, feuding with the likes of Shawn Michaels and Triple H, yet Vito is in?

However despite all that, I do see some forward progress (as usual). General presentation of the matches and the flow of moves is nice. Albeit instead of the elbow in the gut reversal I now am enjoying an endless string of kicks to the nuts.

The Legends roster is great. Last years was fairly shit in my opinion, but this year is grand compared... But why do they have to take legends out? Why take anyone out? Like Paul London. Why no Paul London? Or Eugene? They stick Paul London's friggin' mushroom stomp in the game, but they don't feel the need to keep him in?

BAH!

The game is just meh. For every tiny bit they do they do even less. The game reeks of shoddiness and you can tell it was sloppily shipped out. I question if anyone at Yukes even play tested it. How can some of the more glaring glitches and issues slip by so easily?

The roster is badly outdated (I don't mind guys like Jericho, Angle, etc. being in after being gone, but I find it inexcusable to have people absent for no reason). The music, sound effects and commentary plainly suck. The in game wrestling is dull after the 7th or so iteration of the same engine with yearly tweaks. The create a wrestler mode has been effectively nerfed for me. I thought people were kidding and/or exaggerating when I saw that some 200 or so moves were missing... Nope. I can't make some of the usual CAWs I create because a lot of moves are missing.

And that's my biggest gripe honestly. I can forgive missing audio cues (never announcing the second partner of a tag team for instance), I can look past a limited soundtrack and anything presentation related (entrances for example), I can even turn a blind eye to ridiculous AI countering and behaviour... But excising so many moves is ridiculous.

To me, games are entirely about their gameplay. And for a wrestling game, the variety and amount of moves is directly tied to it. Between a roster of 44 regular men, 7 women and 16 legends you have such a small roster of moves. Toss in 30 CAWs if you want and I guarantee you'll see the exact same moves repeatedly ad nauseum.

I find this game to be just like all the previous ones but at the same time far worse... For this is supposed to be the best version so far and an improvement. The only thing improved to me are tiny details when bigger issues are ignored.

Oh and when I can play a two year old game in San Andreas that has similarly lengthy load times, and it whips up an entire state almost on the fly (yes, worse graphics and bad draw in, but the sheer size of it all), and this takes so long to bring up a ring, some announce tables, two to six wrestlers with a possible referee and commentary team I have to laugh...

I just got half way through Final Fantasy XII and stopped only to play this... Fully immersible world with dozens of characters on screen at a time (that all look infinitely better than the "crowd" in this game), large and very detailed areas and sometimes immensely sized and detailed enemies (along with the main characters) with nary a load time...

Yeah, this game just... Blah...

Just had an awesome First Blood match as Mick Foley against Roddy Piper. I turned the difficulty up to hard and it felt much more realistic, rather than me just walking over the CPU. Very entertaining match. Another error/glitch I did notice, though, was that I turned off the commentary but during a finishing move you could hear JR and King talking :ohwell:

Still playing season mode, and still only ever facing Benoit or Undertaker, only now, its thrown Rey into the mix. Won a four-way at the Rumble. Also won my first ladder match, a fucking good affair against Mysterio.

As great as it is squashing people with Umaga in singles matches, its just as great squashing people with Lashley in multi-mans. In singles, he's eqasily countered, slightly bland and its a bit harder to counter with him. Plus, he doesn't have a lot of stamina. However, I just walked through a chamber match with Lashley. It had Booker, Finlay, Benoit, Batista and Undertaker, and with Bobby the thing was a cakewalk. Booker was already out when I got in, but after that, it was like Dominator, 1-2-3. Spear, 1-2-3. An STO Samoa Joe would have been proud of, 1-2-3. Spear 1-2-3. Awesome stuff.

Had the worst match ever. In season mode as Orton. Teaming with Booker T vs. Bam Bam and Cactus Jack as part of the legends storyline. Match was 15 mins despite me having it won inside 3. There followed ten minutes or so of me having Bigelow beat and calling Booker in. Booker just stands there whilst I make the cover, leaving Cactus to just stroll up and break-up the fall, over and over and OVER.

I can't believe NO-ONE thought fixing the code for tag matches would be a good idea this year.

How long does the legends storyline go on for match wise? I'm only playing season mode at all to get to PPV shows and unlock everything, but with matches on both RAW and Smackdown shows the next PPV seems an eternity away.

It took me a few days to get used to it, but I think I'm fine now. However, I'm not playing at the same difficulty level I was on previous SD! games. I'm also finally getting the hang of countering!

Had the worst match ever. In season mode as Orton. Teaming with Booker T vs. Bam Bam and Cactus Jack as part of the legends storyline. Match was 15 mins despite me having it won inside 3. There followed ten minutes or so of me having Bigelow beat and calling Booker in. Booker just stands there whilst I make the cover, leaving Cactus to just stroll up and break-up the fall, over and over and OVER.

Did you never think to knock out one of your opp's, punch the other off the apron and then pin the downed one? Works nearly every time for me.

Oh, and make sure you're pressing the right button. One of them (up or down) makes your partner attack the legal opponent while the other makes them attack the illegal opponent. It works sometimes, honest >_>

I know, thats why it was so annoying its worked for me plenty of times before, just this one match the CPU decided to be a cunt and not do anything. I was pressing the right way too.

I tried the knocking off the apron thing, but I had trouble targetting the non-legal guy on their side, and running randomly and pressing X near them was hit and miss. In the end, Bam Bam (their legal guy) was near covered in red, so I just tagged Booker T in, and then fought Cactus in the crowd whilst Booker pinned Bam Bam FTW.

Why are so many fucking moves gone? Why can't I have a simple plain black T-shirt with a created wrestler? Why the fuck does Bret Hart still do that ridiculous jumping spin kick? Why can Super Crazy not even fucking pick up Matt Hardy of all people?
There aren't that many moves gone, many were incorporated into the new control scheme. My CAW has a black t-shirt. You can change movesets. The weight detection is off though.

And why the fuck is my average match length a little over 3 minutes? It takes almost as much time to get through all the loading and checking to have a match that long. I got punched by Batista with Triple H and my chest went instantly yellow.

Okay, the Batista/HHH example is complete exaggeration. And the matche length is like that in any wrestling game. You go onto say you were "spoiled" by the AKI games. I can finish a match in No Mercy in 45 seconds. That said, I've had matches in Smackdown 07 go for 20 minutes.

Also, why do people think they stay down longer? Maybe compared to the last game, but I just finished my Survivor Series match against Bradshaw who not only took 2 consecutive pedigrees but also a leap of faith through an announce table not long after. Yet he got up before I could even regain my stamina.
Another exaggeration. Once someone's in the red, they stay down for a long time. Too long if you ask me.

I also find it irritating to have fully functional models of Vince McMahon, Stephanie, Jim Ross... Hell, Tony Chimmel, yet you can't use them. Maybe I was spoiled by No Mercy and the Aki games in general, but come on... Especially considering Vince has wrestled a decent amount this year. More than his son.

Vince should be in the game, but seriously, why the fuck would you want to play as Jim Ross or Tony Chimmel?

And where is the ECW representation? If Umaga is in the damn game, along with some more recent occurances, why not even just Sabu? Looking at the sample PPVs is laughable when you take a gander at One Night Stand. A hole two matches.
Umaga debuted on April 3. Sabu wasn't in the WWE until June. There's your answer. The roster is generally finalized around WrestleMania and that's the WWE's call, not THQ's.

Actually... As much as they irritate the shit out of me, where is the Spirit Squad? They've been around for a fair length, feuding with the likes of Shawn Michaels and Triple H, yet Vito is in?

The Spirit Squad would not be able to be properly represented in this game. To me, putting in all five members of the SS would be a bigger waste than four Mick Foleys. At least I'd want to play as Dude Love, who the fuck wants to play as Mitch? And again, it's the WWE's call about who goes on the roster.

The Legends roster is great. Last years was fairly shit in my opinion, but this year is grand compared... But why do they have to take legends out? Why take anyone out? Like Paul London. Why no Paul London? Or Eugene? They stick Paul London's friggin' mushroom stomp in the game, but they don't feel the need to keep him in?
Eugene was likely cut as a punishment due to his suspension earlier in the year. London is a bit mind boggling, but once again. THE WWE DECIDES THE ROSTER.

BAH!

Insightful.

The roster is badly outdated (I don't mind guys like Jericho, Angle, etc. being in after being gone, but I find it inexcusable to have people absent for no reason). The music, sound effects and commentary plainly suck. The in game wrestling is dull after the 7th or so iteration of the same engine with yearly tweaks. The create a wrestler mode has been effectively nerfed for me. I thought people were kidding and/or exaggerating when I saw that some 200 or so moves were missing... Nope. I can't make some of the usual CAWs I create because a lot of moves are missing.
Jericho's not in the game, so I don't know what you're talking abotu there. Angle left two months ago, so I don't see how anyone would mind that. The music and SFX are the best in any wrestling game period, especially if you're playing the 360 version. Commentary sucks, but find me a sports game where it doesn't. You're repeating your own arguments now. I still haven't noticed that many missing moves. Which ones are gone? Because it seems like the usual Smackdown list o' moves.

Oh and when I can play a two year old game in San Andreas that has similarly lengthy load times, and it whips up an entire state almost on the fly (yes, worse graphics and bad draw in, but the sheer size of it all), and this takes so long to bring up a ring, some announce tables, two to six wrestlers with a possible referee and commentary team I have to laugh...

And the amount of polygons that go into every model far exceeds anything going into San Andreas. They're two entirely different types of game as well. Oh and if you're playing a 360 game on a PS2, what the hell do you expect load times to be like? They're fine on the 360.

I just got half way through Final Fantasy XII and stopped only to play this... Fully immersible world with dozens of characters on screen at a time (that all look infinitely better than the "crowd" in this game), large and very detailed areas and sometimes immensely sized and detailed enemies (along with the main characters) with nary a load time...

And it also took Square Enix five fucking years to develop FFXII. Unfortunately, in the world of sports games, they're on an 11 month deadline. Is that a good excuse? I dunno. What I do know is I would find it unacceptable to wait five years between WWE games. The wrestling landscape changes so quickly, that yearly updates are required. Hell, the WWE needs them more than the Madden franchise. With football, you slap some names and numbers on the back of a jersey and you're good. The WWE though has different characters with detailed backstories appearing constantly. It's unfortunate that THQ/Yukes don't get enough time to iron out all the details as they should, but they're working for the WWE here. There are a ton of things that have plagued this franchise from day fucking one that I gripe about, but at least now they're improving the game every year. This isn't like the old days of Smackdown where every year was a game of roulette - is the game going to be okay, is it going to suck? Who knows?

I want to see full customization in every match type. If I want to have a hardcore Royal Rumble where you eliminate people by pinfall, I should be allowed to have that. If I want a first blood Elimination Chamber, I should have that too. I also would like to see the movesets inflated and not see shit inexplicably taken out. But at least I know the game itself is going to get some improvements. The gameplay of the Smackdown series has gone from laughable, to downright good. Remember, this is the same game where wrestlers had five moves and submissions were locked on for a second. Now, wrestlers have over two dozen moves and we have two solid submission systems. Is the game perfect? No. But this is easily the best wrestling game of the last five years.

Edited by Zero

I'm having a difficult time because my L2 and R2 buttons don't work, making it impossible for me to reverse. I've heard some people talk about switching their controls, is there any set I can change to so I don't have to use those 2 buttons?