Sequals

Laice07

What would be a great sequel...and what sequels ruined a legacy? You may also state prequals

As for me, Two words and one number - Starship Troopers 2. Complete and utter trash. The director can't decide if it's supposed to be an action, horror, or suspense/thriller. Worse yet are the no name actors desperately trying to act, while the few plausible characters have no screen presence or time. I'd also like to know why they thought second rate actors playing a game of laser tag with a blue/green screen would be remotely entertaining.

As for a nomination for new sequel. I' like to see John Carpenter make a sequel to his remake of The Thing. Only problem is it might take away from what is arguaby one of the most open, yet disturbing endings to a sci-fi flick. So he'd probably have to skip over any illumination on the original ending to keep the originals bite and edge.

And...Another one for ruined.....

Batman & Robin. I didnt completely mind Batman forever (The mere thought of Joel Shumacher(sp?) Pitching the idea where the BATMOBILE climbs up the wall makes me laugh) But the movie had some bright spots and like i said, i Didnt mind it. Batman & Robin however took a dump on everything that was Batman. Clooney?! ach! My biggest gripe was that they made Bane a big mumbling oaf wheras in the comics the guy is really smart and rivals the Joker for the title of best Batman villain. Hopefully Batman Begins can right the big giant black hole of wrong that is Batman & Robin

Edited by Laice_

This is going back some, but the Robocop sequels. I loved the first one with it's violence and it's cheesiness, but the two sequels just...made the campy fun turn into....crap.

Call me stupid, but after Raiders of the Lost Ark, I couldn't get into Indiana Jones.

I was never really a fan of sequels in the first place so I can't really name anything that should have been done.

Guest Angry Baboon

Godfather III was unecessary and pointless.

In fact the only two trilogies that actually plausibly required sequels to benefit the story are Lord of the Rings and Star Wars.

Guest bruins72

Matrix Reloaded ruined the Matrix for me. I didn't even bother seeing Revolutions because Reloaded was so bad. I thought the original Matrix movie was great the way it was. The ending left a little to the imagination and that was cool. Reloaded was just tons of stunts and a bunch of people rambling nonsense.

As for a nomination for new sequel. I' like to see John Carpenter make a sequel to his remake of The Thing. Only problem is it might take away from what is arguaby one of the most open, yet disturbing endings to a sci-fi flick. So he'd probably have to skip over any illumination on the original ending to keep the originals bite and edge.

I'd love this to be made, but only if they kept the same kind of effects. It was huge rubbery things that were so great in the original, they'd need to be great with CGI to make it convincing in a sequel.

I agree with the Robocop thing, the first film was amazing, yet the sequels, (and the tons of crappy straight-to-TV films they did) sucked. Same with Jurassic Park, I loved the first one, the second was okay, but the third was horrible in my opinion.

Leatherface (Texas Chainsaw Massacre, part III)

Superman IV: The Quest For Peace (III wasn't all that great, either. But it was at least watchable)

Halloween III: Season Of The Witch (which was mis-named, as it had NOTHING whatsoever to do with Michael Myers, and shouldn't be considered part of the franchise. Nonetheless, it SUCKED!)

Escape from L.A. wasn't too great, either.

The Halloween franchise should have ended with part IV.

A Nightmare On Elm Street should have ended with III or IV. (Whichever one was `Dream Warriors')

Rocky should never have gone past III. (IV was okay, but V was so bad it should never have been released)

The Dirty Harry series should have ended with Sudden Impact. As much a fan I am of Clint Eastwood and of the Dirty Harry character, I thought The Dead Pool blew chunks. (Jim Carrey lip-synching to Guns N' Roses?!?! WTF were they thinking?!)

And don't even get me started on the Friday the 13th movies!

Guest bruins72

I agree with the Robocop thing, the first film was amazing, yet the sequels, (and the tons of crappy straight-to-TV films they did) sucked.  Same with Jurassic Park, I loved the first one, the second was okay, but the third was horrible in my opinion.

Good call! I hated the Jurassic sequels! The first one was absolutely amazing the second wasn't good but it wasn't excessively bad. The third one blew huge donkey dick in the worst kind of way.

I really wish the folks in Hollywood didn't always have to try to rehash every good idea and run it into the ground.

I think it's meaning for films, but anyway, I kinda agree with FFX-2, it wasn't as good as FFX. But don't dare mock FFVII-AC! Advent Children owns your soul and eats your babies. Be told.

:P

Edited by Kaneanite

We could add games I guess, it still would be on-topic. :D

As for Jurassic Park, its not over. <_<

JP IV

Oh, God. WHY WON'T THEY STOP?!

*breaks into tears*

Heres some rumours of the story :

January 30, 2003 - It's been a few months since we heard anything about Universal's Jurassic Park IV, but new story details have just surfaced courtesy of Dark Horizons.  The site received a message from someone who claimed to have recently visited Spielberg's offices. They scoop that the fourth film takes place 12 years after the first movie.  Dr. Hammond's dinos have become urban myth – most people don't believe that they really existed.

The drama begins when "previously unidentified lizard-like animals" show up in parts of Costa Rica, terrorizing the locals.  A team of experts is dispatched to an island off the coast. There they discover that the dinosaurs are breeding at a remarkably fast rate, posing a threat to the nearby continent.  There is, reportedly, much more to the story but the source wasn't able to uncover it.

According the tip, Spielberg is "delighted" with the ideas for the new film, and wants to sign Sam Neill and Jeff Goldblum to star.  The scooper seems to think that JPIV will be a more of an "intelligent thriller in the vein of the original."

Last we heard, author/screenwriter William Monahan (Fox's Tripoli) was working out a deal to pen the film's screenplay.  Spielberg and Kathleen Kennedy are producing.

I wish they would make one based on Crichton's second book, the Lost World. I prefered that to the original book, and this one seems to be following that, but I just hope they don't bugger it up.

Edited by Kaneanite

Good sequels:

-Austin Powers 2 was pretty funny, though, hardly not as good as 1.

-I liked The Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions (so flame me)

Bad sequels:

-Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle ruined any half decentness from the first and quickly turned it into crap.

-Austin Powers 3 was nowhere near as funny as 1 or 2.

Guest bruins72

Oh, God.  WHY WON'T THEY STOP?!

*breaks into tears*

Heres some rumours of the story :

I wish they would make one based on Crichton's second book, the Lost World.  I prefered that to the original book, and this one seems to be following that, but I just hope they don't bugger it up.

Even Speilberg being involved with this doesn't make me feel any better. I've lost all trust in him since AI.