"Emo" is the way forward.

Summers

So anyone planning on coming in here to insult emo bands, don't bother, none of us want to hear it.

I just want to know peoples favourite "emo" bands, whether they be in the vein of Taking Back Sunday, or Fallout Boy, or The Rocket Summer, whatever.

I'm not really into many "emo" bands, but I want to test the waters more than I already have, as I generally like what emo I do listen to.

So, people such as dragsy, TH4L, Jouzy, Dan, whoever you are!

Name those emo bands!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something I always wondered is, what is considered emo? Is it the screaming or the "hate" lyrics?

If Panic! At the Disco are emo, then I'll say that I like a little bit of emo.. I'd take a chance and say that they are borderline emo, but I'm not too sure. You probably have their album though so I won't say much.

I don't even know what limits emo reaches to now, hence my general use of the word emo. I've always seen Panic! labelled as being emo, yet compare them to Brand New, or Taking Back Sunday, or My Chemical Romance, and they sound completely different. So it's so vague, and wide ranged.

DBD, reccomend any particular Bayside songs I could check out?

With emo crossing several boundaries it seems, I like Jimmy Eat World, Fall Out Boy, Panic! At The Disco, Finch and Coheed and Cambria, all bands I've heard having emo to some extent labelled at them.

And paidelr, emo realistically is as redundant as metalcore and nu-metal are.

Edited by rvdwannabe

Damn you Liam, for listing bands I'm already fans of, you're no use. Out with you.

With emo crossing several boundaries it seems, I like Jimmy Eat World, Fall Out Boy, Panic! At The Disco, Finch and Coheed and Cambria, all bands I've heard having emo to some extent labelled at them.

And paidelr, emo realistically is as redundant as metalcore and nu-metal are.

It's not THAT redundant, but it is redundant.

You said list emo bands.

Check out more Jimmy Eat World, as they own any emo band. That, or try Sunny Day Real Estate or The Promise Ring.

And it is less redundant than nu-metal became, but probably more redundant than metalcore is.

Edited by rvdwannabe

When the 'emo' label first started Bright Eyes and Alkaline Trio were included alothough I'm fairly certain that both are no longer seen as being emo. So if you count them then I listen to emo, if not then I don't think I do.

And it is less redundant than nu-metal became, but probably more redundant than metalcore is.

Metalcore's like what bands?

When the 'emo' label first started Bright Eyes and Alkaline Trio were included alothough I'm fairly certain that both are no longer seen as being emo. So if you count them then I listen to emo, if not then I don't think I do.

I can't imagine Trio being labelled as emo, dunno why..

Metalcore's like what bands?

Metalcore is bands like Unearth and As I Lay Dying.

And I mean the terms more than anything. Nu-metal became the most redundant as it was around for the most, and came to mean very little (wanna tell me how a nu-metal band sounds?....thats the point, I guess), and emo and metalcore are both heading that way, although emo seems larger, more over-subscribed and generally like it is gonna be more redundant quicker.

Nu-metal, metalcore and emo all fall into "bands I hate, I'll stick there" kinda genres over the years, and the fact that a lot of bands who share these labels are nothing alike show how redundant they are/became.

But yeah, metalcore isn't as big as emo, which is why emo will probably seem redundant earlier.

I like a lot of what I've heard from Jimmy Eat World excluding "The Middle."

And if screamo or whatever counts, I quite like Vendetta Red, especially everything off of White Knuckled Substance.

Emo is redundant but useful, like I've asked people to name emo bands, and people know what bands they want to say, whereas nu-metal was JUST hated bands, really. It was silly.

Ask people to name nu-metal bands they like, and you'll still get answers, so it wasn't just hated bands....more just that no-one actually knew what a "nu-metal band" sounded like :P

Kinda like how emo is kinda hard to define, and an emo band like Jimmy Eat World sounds nothing like Funeral For A Friend, as much as Limp Bizkit and Mushroomhead sounded nothing alike but were both lumped into nu-metal by some.

EDIT: JEW - The Authority Song owns

Edited by rvdwannabe

But I mean, Mushroom Head & Limp Bizkit still got called metal by people, not just nu-metal. Whereas if you ask people to name a label that most emo bands fall into (aside from emo) they can't.

I guess so, although a lot of emo bands can fall across different lines, depending on who you talk to. I was more going for the fact that people can name bands in all three of those genres, yet for the most part, they can't actually describe the genre's sound, or if they can, it is a lot differnt from person to person.

Edited by rvdwannabe