World Cup 2006

Dan

Ugh, I am AMAZINGLY tired of dives in the World Cup. And you wonder why soccer gets a bad rep in North America. A player gets STRETCHERED off and three minutes later is back in? Refs need to disallow re-entry onto the field if a player is helped off.

And all those complaining about him yellowing the wrong player, stop listening to the BBC. From where I saw it, he actually booked the player for a seperate incident, since he was looking directly at both of the players and chose to book the other one for a tangle with an Argetina player, from what I saw.

Messi WAS offside. He was passed the ball, whilst in an offiside position.

No he wasn't, the ball was closer to the goal line than Messi was. That's NOT offside.

Though I agree it wasn't, your wording confused me there. Simply put, if the ball is played straight up or down or backwards, the player can't be offside no matter where the defenders/goalie are (which I'm sure is what you are putting, I just didn't get it, so clarifying).

If the ball is nearer the goal line (that's the line where the goal is) than the player the ball is being passed to, it's not offside, even if there's only one goalkeeper/defender between the receiving player and the goal line.

I even drew a (shitty) picture...

post-13-1151189854_thumb.jpg

The black dots are defending, blues attacking, white is the ball. Doesn't matter if the last black dot is the goalkeeper or not.

He isn't offside because he isn't in front of the ball when it is passed. If he is in front of the ball when he gets passed the ball, it doesn't matter how close it is to the goal line (ball or player), he is offside (if there is no-one or just 1 active defender between the ball and the goal, naturally).

Edited by liamwannabe

No he wasn't, the ball was closer to the goal line than Messi was. That's NOT offside.

Though I agree it wasn't, your wording confused me there. Simply put, if the ball is played straight up or down or backwards, the player can't be offside no matter where the defenders/goalie are (which I'm sure is what you are putting, I just didn't get it, so clarifying).

Edited by The Kraig

If the ball is nearer the goal line (that's the line where the goal is) than the player the ball is being passed to, it's not offside, even if there's only one goalkeeper/defender between the receiving player and the goal line.

I even drew a (shitty) picture...

post-13-1151189854_thumb.jpg

The black dots are defending, blues attacking, white is the ball. Doesn't matter if the last black dot is the goalkeeper or not.

He isn't offside because he isn't in front of the ball when it is passed. If he is in front of the ball when he gets passed the ball, it doesn't matter how close it is to the goal line (ball or player), he is offside (if there is no-one or just 1 active defender between the ball and the goal, naturally).

Isn't that what I just said? (0_o)

You do realise it was Reily that said it was offside? And since then, said he was wrong after the replay?

I do realise it was what Reily said, but the way you explained it seemed a bit...off. And your wording still confuses me a little in your explanation, even though I get the rule.

EDIT: It was the whole "nearer the goal-line" comment that threw me.

Edited by liamwannabe

Guest Ringo Mars

Ugh, I am AMAZINGLY tired of dives in the World Cup. And you wonder why soccer gets a bad rep in North America. A player gets STRETCHERED off and three minutes later is back in? Refs need to disallow re-entry onto the field if a player is helped off.

It's the latin countries that do it (usually), and it's been catching on in Africa. However, pain does exist, and can be shrugged off or ignored, and usually is done. Muscle pains are usually treated quickly with numbing heat spray.

And football doesn't get a bad rep in North America. It's gets little rep in the US, due to the financial franchises behind the NBA, NFL and MLB, who'd rather not have another competitor. Not to mention the MLS league has a bizarre, self-retarding system and regulations. Football in America isn't played as the rest of the world does it. That's why it's not interesting.

Edited by TheReilDeal

It's the latin countries that do it (usually), and it's been catching on in Africa.

There's a reason the EPL teams with the greatest following in North America (bar Manchester United) are Everton and Blackburn.

I guess having one of the best American players of all time playing a key role for us helps Yanks back us too.

Mexico was so close to knocking off one of the most talented teams in this World Cup.

And fuck me. It is just great that I have to leave for work just as the England game is set to start.