World Cup 2006

Dan

I'm naming France or Germany as winners right now and its gotten to the point that right now I don't even hate the Germans, they have Jens Lehmann, we never met during the tournament and its in their backyard, so go for it.

I'm disappointed a feel decisions went against us in certain situations and I will always maintain that Latin football teams are faggots, but the only thing thats bugging me is the Americans thinking they got one up because we offered sensible opinions on why their team achieved MORE than they could have achieved.

Guest muddatrucker

I'm disappointed a feel decisions went against us in certain situations and I will always maintain that Latin football teams are faggots, but the only thing thats bugging me is the Americans thinking they got one up because we offered sensible opinions on why their team achieved MORE than they could have achieved.

The fuck are you on about now? We made it to the Quarters in the last Cup. Of course our World Rankings was a joke and yea the team wasn't very good but we gave a decent account of ourselves in our final two games, especially against Italy when we finished the game with 9 and still managed a draw. Also we didn't go out first, so I don't know where you came up with that unless you forgot that zero points is less than one in which case I guess I can see where you made that mistake.

Edited by muddatrucker

The fuck are you on about now? We made it to the Quarters in the last Cup. Of course our World Rankings was a joke and yea the team wasn't very good but we gave a decent account of ourselves in our final two games, especially against Italy when we finished the game with 9 and still managed a draw. Also we didn't go out first, so I don't know where you came up with that unless you forgot that zero points is less than one in which case I guess I can see where you made that mistake.

Have Brazil cheated in this competition? I havent seen it from them, but I havent been focusing fully on any of their matches. I still want Brazil to win over France, and I think they will. However I would love to see a France/Germany final.

Australia would spank the US in a full strength match.

That has nothing to do with the argument, I just needed to say it.

Quite frankly, I hope Germany do it, they're playing better football than anyone and to beat Argentina was great for them.

We need to drop our 'rivalries' that people don't remember the origins of and just play football. At the end of the day, our media aren't going to let anything go and they can be partly to blame for failure of English football.

Lets face it, whenever we didn't retain the title in 1970, I doubt the English media were all over their backs. The media are going to have a field day for tomorrow's headings.

Guest muddatrucker

You went out in the first round by coming bottom, playing a game the next day or getting 1 point based on an own goal amounts for fuck all. You made it to the quarters in the last cup because of a fluke and rightfully thats as far as you got, this time you thought you deserved more and you were rightfully beaten, now you somehow believe that because we offered a more than fair opinion on you guys coming in last place that you can somehow 'mock' us for getting knocked out too, but it doesn't work because you guys went out fairly and squarely and for the most part you know fuck all.

Lets go defense.

I really hate the way England supporters go on about 'this being their year'. It obviously wasn't. You say that every fucking time a European Championship or World Cup comes around. You bet Paraguay 1-0, with an own goal. It took you 80 minutes to beat Trinidad and Tobago and you drew with Sweden (I'd love to add in that my country bet Sweden 3-0 just before the World Cup, but I guess I can't really talk seen as we didn't qualify). Then you go on to beat Equador 1-0 from another set piece. England were not impressive at all in this World Cup. They may have shown heart today and courage, but to be honest, as a national team, they just don't cut it anymore. I don't consider Portugal even to be world class, but they are decent, not like any of the teams England had played before that to get to the Quarter Finals. The first time England come up against any decent opposition in a major championship, they pretty much just can't do it. You hardly deserve to be in the Semi Finals, imo, but fair fucks for trying. And Portugal are cheating cunts too, but what can you do. If you had won on penalties, it was most certain in my mind you would not progress any further against the likes of Germany, France, Italy, Brazil.

Edited by Rage

As someone who can recognize bad football and incompetent tactical decisions, having seen both in abundance while following the US in this Cup :P, I wish to say the following:

1. The reason most teams play a 4-4-2 instead of the 4-5-1 is because it keeps the opposing central defense honest. McBride was stranded for most of the Cup on an island, with two men closing in on him whenever the US attacked. The same thing happened today to Rooney in the first half. Granted, it also happened to Pauleta/Postiga. 0-0 was the deserved result, tactically -- both teams played a conservative formation.

2. Intentional or not, if you attempt to castrate someone with spiked shoes, you deserve to be ejected from any sport.

Lemme ask: has there ever bee

3. Portugal keeps baiting the ref, but the refs in this Cup are falling for it left and right. Under the circumstances, it's almost acceptable.

4. Okay, I can't say that with a straight face. Portugal are divers.

5. Why did Sven remove Lennon, much less bring on Carragher? You brought Walcott for a reason -- he's a striker who gets paid to score. You're 2 minutes away from a scenario where goals matter. Christ, I'm AMERICAN and I can outcoach this bastard.

6. Rooney has a history of being a hothead -- remember his Champions League applause to KM Neilsen? I think this is a case of red card by reputation. Though, again, he stomped on a player's testicles. Hard. Every time I saw the replay I thought "red card".

7. Ironically, Rooney is likely to get off scot free for this act of violence, whereas Beckham in 1998 was the victim of the most blatant dive I've seen in my life and almost had to leave the country for it.

8. Either Ricardo is a godsend or England telegraphs all their penalties. Oh, and Carragher tried to cheat a lot more blatantly than anyone else on the penalty -- he could/should have been yellow carded for it (the precedent is there).

9. When you lost to Portugal in Euro '04, it was because Portugal cheated. Today, it's because Portugal cheated. It went to penalties both times; that's just bad luck, not cheating.

10. Calm down. It's only a game. It's not like 5000 people were murdered by fundamentalists in one fell swoop.

(sits back and awaits angry flaming)