Players associated with certain numbers

Bigal

Just a bit of research I'm doing. What players can you think of who were associated with a certain shirt number. Like for example, Ally McCoist is always identified as the wearer of the no.9 at Rangers because that was the most successful part of his career, and (shameless whoring) at Linfield, Noel Bailie has worn the no.11 shirt for 16 years, so when he retires the number will be too.

So, who can you think of, at any level really?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony Adams number 6. In England you can't officially retire squad numbers, but the number 6 has been "unofficially retired" for him.

Also, Maradona's number 10 shirt was retired by Argentina.

England's 6 has been retired for Adams?! Really? Why?

There's been so many great number 10s in World Football, highly iconic, from Zico, to Lineker, to Matthaus.......

Being in Japan recently I have to say 7 for Nakata. He's no longer he best player in the Japanese team but he's THE modern icon for them.

There's been so many great number 10s in World Football, highly iconic, from Zico, to Lineker, to Matthaus.......

Being in Japan recently I have to say 7 for Nakata. He's no longer he best player in the Japanese team but he's THE modern icon for them.

If you want to go outside soccer, I can give you some American stuff...

Baseball:

42: Jackie Robinson. Its been retired by all the teams.

Basketball:

32: Magic Johnson

23: Michael Jordan

Hockey:

99: Wayne Gretzky

For the NFL, I can't really think of any, because numbers don't have the same league-wide importance. Sure, each team has numbers that matter to that team, but not like the ones listed above where they're league wide/nation wide things.

I assumed he meant Arsenal's number 6 shirt?

Must be, because John Terry is #6 for England.

I assumed he meant Arsenal's number 6 shirt?

Must be, because John Terry is #6 for England.

That's what confused me but hey, everything is clear again now :P

I remember George Best for his #11 shirt personally. He changed to #7 later. In those days you got your shirt number depending on what position you played in.

However, for Man Utd in particular, the #7 shirt has become legendary. George Best wore it. Bryan Robson wore it. Eric Cantona wore it. David Beckham wore it.

As for other players, I reckon Shearer pretty much personifies the #9 shirt.

Right now, I associate Frank Lampard with number 8 since that's his number for Chelsea and England. Plus, I see the number 8 as the perfect number for an attacking midfielder and for me, Lamps is the perfect attacking midfielder

*Awaits the "Gerrard is better" arguments*

Right now, I associate Frank Lampard with number 8 since that's his number for Chelsea and England. Plus, I see the number 8 as the perfect number for an attacking midfielder and for me, Lamps is the perfect attacking midfielder

*Awaits the "Gerrard is better" arguments*

But Gerrard IS better ¬_¬

Yeah, are team allowed to officially retire numbers now? Because I'm fairly certain they aren't. I know Argentina did, but whether that still holds true is another matter.