Players associated with certain numbers

Bigal

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to mention Farve as #4, that one is about the only NFL number all around. Elway? No. If someone said #7 right now, I'd say Michael Vick, not Elway. I look at it like this, if someone shows you the number and that person is instantly in mind.... or if that person is called by that sometimes. The NFL is more team based than anything. If you say 22 in Dallas, or 88, or 8. But league wide.. probably not.

I don't think any player should have there number retired across the whole league other then Gretzky. No other player has had such a huge impact on the game.

Then again, I'm not a fan of number retiring to begin with. Only great players who will be remembered for many decades should get the honor. Or else you'll someday end up like Futurama, all the players have fractional or fictional numbers cause the whole numbers were all retired. (The Yankees might be in triple digits in 25 years the way they are going.)

1. Lemieux is done the service of surviving cancer. Saku Koivu is an average player, and would have likely been traded twice over if he hadn't a cancer survivor. As a player, he is a distant second to Gretzky, and the fact that he came back 5000 times has helped something to tarnish his legacy.

2. Nurtured Marc-Andre Fleury to what? A history of choking in big games, general inconsistency, and looking like Alexandre Daigle? I'll give you Sidney Crosby, but come on.

3. You can't retire Lemieuxs number until he dies. He'll probably be back three or four times, so until he can no longer breath on his own, leep his number open for him.

The Reason why football(american) numbers will never be retired across the whole leauge is that no one has stood head and shoulder above everyone else and that they only have 99 number for 54 people so if they start retiring some numbers than they are getting tight...

Also I can't think of any New Orleans Saint remembered for his number which just makes me sad.

At Rovers (of the Bristol variety), the #12 is reserved for the fans. I think other clubs do this too though.

He's changed it now, but I always associate Henry with the #14. Probably because it's so unusual for such an important player to have a high number (although obviously when he joined #9 and #10 were Suker and Bergkamp, so it's understandable. What isn't understandable is how Vivas was #7 when he was a leftback, and really shit).