Your footballing hero?

Liam

Yeah, I'm sure we've had these before, but I'm in a patriotic/footballing mood, so yeah, I'm starting one again.

Anyone who has known me to post in the football topics should know mine....Alan Shearer. When I was young, I was a striker and he encapsulated everything I wanted to be in a striker. I wasn't overly skillful or overly fast, but it was about more than that, and Shearer was one of the best Premiership strikers ever even without some of those components. Some argue he could be dirty, some argue he could be whiny, but I argue that he was banged and crashed as often as he did in return, and that as captain he was afforded some leniency with his complaints (as I believe most captains should be). Headers, free kicks, tap ins, 30 yarders...he could score them all. The fact he came back after serious knee ligament damage and still was threatening showed his desire to be the best. It was almost criminal that he didn't win a major trophy for Newcastle, but it is heartening to see a player turn down a big money move to play for the team he loves. He probably should have retired a season or two ago, but meh, he didn't, and it doesn't overly ruin his legacy for me.

So yeah, yours is?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's usually unsung hero type players that I like the most but, despite that, my all time hero is Ian Rush.

I think it's because of the fact he worked so hard for the team, closing defenders down etc, despite the fact he was the main goal getter and probably didn't get much extra credit for his defensive work. Oh, and his moustache - that ruled.

Ryan Giggs. He was everything I aspired to be when I was a kid, he was left footed, like myself, he was pacy, he could take free kicks, he could cross, he could skin opponents and he played for Manchester United.

Another one would be Alan Shearer, during Euro 96 and to a lesser extent France 98 he scored some goals that caused a lot of celebrations, and He was just so powerful and represented the nation with pride.

A player who was a bit before my time, but I imagine I would of admired is Gary Lineker. He always makes me laugh on MotD and played a very nice style of football from some of the England games I have seen.

Roy Keane. The "fuck-em-up" mentality has, and always will be my favourite.

Mr. Keane, meet Mr. Ronaldo. I'll let you two get acquainted for a while :P

And don't put names in my mouth, Liam :pinch:

I'm a Fulham fan...it was either McBride or Carlos Bocanegra...you got the rub of the green, believe me :pinch:

• Admin

We all know Brad Friedel is the greatest football player America has ever produced, so you Fulham fans should pipe down :shifty:

My hero as a youngster was Gary Lineker, and to a lesser extent Alan Shearer. Both great centre forwards.

I also think Matt Jansen was fantastic, until his little moped accident destroyed his career.

But my current hero is Shefki Kuqi, only because he knows he's not the most talented guy in the world, but he'll give 2000% every game, he terrifies defenders with his size and serial killer look, and his belly flop is the best in the world!

Edited by Rabid Wolverine

Mine is definitely Robbie Keane. I followed his progress since he was at Wolves, and made his debut for Ireland in 1998. I was overjoyed when he signed for my club Spurs. The next day I went outto get his name on the back of my shirt. The defining moment of his career so far for me is definitely is late equaliser against Germany at WC2002. I can watch this goal over and over again, and I get a shiver down my spine everytime. So happy when he was made Ireland captain this year, most deserved.

The defining moment of his career so far for me is definitely is late equaliser against Germany at WC2002.

Officially the only time I've cried whilst watching sport.....I didn't bawl or anything, just a few tears >_>

As a kid my football hero was Lineker. Great for England in 1990 and then helped win us the FA Cup in 1991.

Another Spurs player from that era I really looked up to was Gary Mabbutt (who interestingly has diabetes and had to inject himself with insulin at half time)

Internationally I thought Lothar Matthaus was incredible, same with Marco Van Basten. They'd both make it into my all time world XI squad. That Van Basten goal...Man I remember that. Incredible.

When Germany beat England in the 1990 penalty shoot out and they were all celebrating, Lothar Matthaus went STRAIGHT to the England players to console them. Now THAT'S a professional and a gentleman.

Nowadays it's Robbie Keane. He's my total hero, and weirdly he's like 3 months older than me, which always makes me feel like I've failed in life, which I probably have :P