Your footballing hero?

Liam

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colin Hendry.

He was just an immense player at the back, always seemed to be wherever the danger was and always went in 110% into any taclke. Vastly under-rated by the footballing world in general I think, probably due to his ugly face, blonde mop and the fact he was Scottish.

People say Shearer won Blackburn the title, but Hendry made sure we locked out the contenders.

Colin Hendry.

He was just an immense player at the back, always seemed to be wherever the danger was and always went in 110% into any taclke. Vastly under-rated by the footballing world in general I think, probably due to his ugly face, blonde mop and the fact he was Scottish.

People say Shearer won Blackburn the title, but Hendry made sure we locked out the contenders.

And as we discussed last night, Hendry is uglier than Shearer. Ugliness = footballing ability....look at Ronaldinho :shifty:

As a kid my football hero was Lineker. Great for England in 1990 and then helped win us the FA Cup in 1991.

Another Spurs player from that era I really looked up to was Gary Mabbutt (who interestingly has diabetes and had to inject himself with insulin at half time)

Gary Mabbutt was a legend. One of my all-time favourites, too.

My footballing hero would have to be Teddy Sheringham. He's possibly my favourite player of all-time, a great striker, unselfish, great personality. Lex Luger's not the total package, Teddy Sheringham is :wub:

Gary Lineker's up there with his fair play and striker ability, but he was a bit before my time. Other honourable mentions would be Jurgen Klinsmann, Ian Walker, David Ginola, but I wouldn't include them under the 'hero' tag, particularly Ginola with his dirty diving :P

Surprise, surprise all my picks are Spurs players, but if I had to pick a non-Spurs player I'd probably choose Shearer too.

Edited by alldawson

Bergkamp was one of my idols as a kid, the man was amazing in front of goal for Arsenal, despite being a Liverpool fan, he amazed me at that time along with a very young Robbie Fowler. I always had an admiration for Kanchelskis at United, he was awesome.

Peter Schmeichel.

As a kid I was raised to support Man Utd, and during my stint which lasted till around 98, I loved Schmeichel. I'd consider him as my childhood hero. I made my own mind up as to who I actually wanted to support when I was 12. They don't win trophies, they haven't done so in a very long time, so I'm not glory-hunter. They RARELY ever finish in the top ten. :P

Ally McCoist. Top ever Rangers goalscorer, one of the best strikers in Scotland's history, hell, anywhere. And he's now my favourite pundit. And I always want him to win on Question Of Sport. And he's from my hometown as well. ^-^

Jorg Albertz and Stefan Klos I really liked as well (from Rangers). I'd probably have liked Gazza is everyone didn't call me Gazza at the time (it was when he had his hair dyed white).

Taffarel and Peter Schmeichel were my other heroes, as I tended to be in goals when I was young. And was awesome, clearly. (¬_¬)

Ally McCoist. Top ever Rangers goalscorer, one of the best strikers in Scotland's history, hell, anywhere. And he's now my favourite pundit. And I always want him to win on Question Of Sport. And he's from my hometown as well. ^-^

Jorg Albertz and Stefan Klos I really liked as well (from Rangers). I'd probably have liked Gazza is everyone didn't call me Gazza at the time (it was when he had his hair dyed white).

Taffarel and Peter Schmeichel were my other heroes, as I tended to be in goals when I was young. And was awesome, clearly. (¬_¬)

I remember that summer - every single Rangers fan that wasn't already blonde got their hair dyed to match Gazza's.

Given that i'm a goalie, Mark Schwarzer (cos he's aussie) and Paul Robinson

at some other position, i'd say Matt Le Tissier...i've got a dvd of the "games and goals" of the first premiership season...some of the things he did with the ball were absolutely magical.