Best second album?

Liam

I've decided third albums are pretty mega - Bjork's "Homogenic", Sigur Ros' "Takk", Air's "10,000Hz Legend", Muse's "Absolution", Add N To (X)'s "Avant Hard"...

Dare I throw in "Ok Computer" there since I find it to be a even bigger improvement over "The Bends"?

I draw pistols at 50 paces with people who even consider suggesting that.

I'm still alive...do you feel lucky, punk? :shifty:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've decided third albums are pretty mega - Bjork's "Homogenic", Sigur Ros' "Takk", Air's "10,000Hz Legend", Muse's "Absolution", Add N To (X)'s "Avant Hard"...

Dare I throw in "Ok Computer" there since I find it to be a even bigger improvement over "The Bends"?

Just throwing out some stuff I haven't seen listed

Lapalco by Brendan Benson

Makeup the Breakdown by Hot Hot Heat

Kerplunk by Green Day

Full Collapse by Thursday

Deja Entendu by Brand New

What To Do When You Are Dead by Armor For Sleep

Significant Other by Limp Bizkit

Edited by LNK

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

The album which defined the best songwriter (imo of course) of the early 1990's. This is a masterpiece that has everything. And what's even more amazing is that Gish was a very good album. But this one is the standard by which all Pumpkins releases, and much of the 90's, is compared to. Sure it won't last in time like "Nevermind" or "Ten" in the eyes of the media. But in the eyes of many fans of alternative, it is on a level with those. I once saw a list which had it as the greatest album of the 90's... somewhere.

And now, digging a hole into the underground...

Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider

Schaffer's masterpiece. He got a vocalist who could finally handle his writing and gave this album the exact feel it should have. The Barlow covers of these songs don't compare, while they are more powerful, this album is not meant to have power. It is meant to have the unique feel only Greeley was able to give. Give it another vocalist, and the feel changes. And I doubt that feel will be as good.

Katatonia - Brave Murder Day

The last album that really had the sound that made Peaceville so famous in DOOOM circles. After this, like fellow Peacevillers Anathema, began to lighten their sound to a more gothic sound. And while Katatonia has done well, the greatness of this album will overshadow everything they try to do. This is perhaps the greatest album in the mid-90's golden age of Death/DOOOM.

Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky

The only album to truly achieve the tr00 KVLT sound of recording in a garage with the recording equipment in a garage across the street. And it also shows the greatness to follow on their next 2 releases before, like all black metal bands, they stopped being raw and evil and instead tried to evolve their sound. Which is so untr00. (sarcasm for the most part)

Immortal - Pure Holocaust

Keeping with the Norwegian Black Metal, we have this release which was the precursor to the influences Emperor and Arcturus would make on the genre in the coming years. It showed that black metal was more than just evil thrash. It could have a sense of ambience and art to it. And today we have some of the most avant-garde and ridiculous bands in the world fall under the banner of black metal. It is in large part Immortal which opened the gates... OF HELL.

That's all I've got right now.

Feederz - Teachers in Space - They maintain their quirky style of music, but still manage to make it appealing to fans of their first album. It's classic Feederz with a bit of a different twist. By the way, allmusic.com ignorantly refers to this band as only existing in the 2000s. These guys have been around since the late 70s, and have been known since the late 70s. Do some fucking research allmusic.com.

X - Wild Gift - For them to follow up as great of an album as "Los Angeles" speaks volumes about ability in their early days. It's especially impressive that they managed to produce an album that got noticed in an era when hardcore punk was starting to take off (well, underground). Not only did it get noticed, but it was universally loved.

Dead Kennedys - Plastic Surgery Disasters - Not just one of my favorite Dead Kennedy albums, but one of my favorite albums period. They don't deviate too far from what they accomplished on Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables, but I think the musicianship and Jello's song writing in general were stepped a notch for this effort.

The Stranglers - No More Heroes - The Stranglers were great in the 1970s, and seem to fall off throughout the 80s. Despite all of that, this is a classic album often overlooked by punk and rock fans alike. It's a creative album for it's time, it almost sounds like it was a product of New York.

Easily "Origin of Symmetry" by Muse... At times, I wonder if "Showbiz" was delibrately wank just so they could blow everyone away with this album.

Close runner up: "De Stijl" by The White Stripes.

Showbiz was great. (Although reminds me of late nights having to write essays at university)

Origin of Symmetry was more a collection of radio friendly songs that didn't particularly link together as well as the other 3 albums. Having said that, Citizen Erased and Micro Cuts are amazing.

Strange Days- The Doors

Closer- Joy Division

Take Them On, On Your Own- Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Da Capo- Love