The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

The only Marvel stuff I'm reading right now are Captain America and Avengers/Invaders, and I'm about to drop a DC title from my reading list. Is there there anything from Marvel I should check out? Keep in mind I have no interest whatsoever in the Ultimate books or anything written by Bendis (Paul Jenkins, too, if he's still working for Marvel), and I'm boycotting the Spider-Man books until BND is eventually undone.

Magneto: Testament. :)

I'll defend Amazing Spider-Man. As somebody who never really enjoyed/read what they were doing pre-BND I enjoy the old-school feeling to the new Spidey. The whole BND was stupid but it has allowed all these different creative teams to come in and "re-create" the Spider-Man world. I think it's become far easier for new/out-of-the-loop readers to get into yet still has the core elements a Spidey book needs to be fun. The one void left is of course the MJ character but at the end of the day I'm happy with how the book is being handled now as opposed to not giving a fuck what was happening with Iron-Spidey/MJ etc. pre-BND.

The current arc has been really fun so far with my only problem being how some of the Spidey/Murdoch(?) parts were handled but it's managed to bring together all the new cast of characters in a way that makes them integral to the book and the art has been fantastic.

Like I said, I'm hardly a long time Spider-Man reader so perhaps that makes me less bitter on the whole BND front but I don't see them undo what was accomplished with BND anytime soon so instead of wanting what was, I'm willing to accept what I feel is a fun Spidey book.

EDIT: I must also recommend Magneto:Testament. It's a heart-wrenching book, thats not easy to get through sometimes but one that is crafted so well and handled wonderfully. Totally worth any and all praise.

Edited by Boogey131

I stuck with it for a LONG time before giving up, the only times I enjoyed were a few of Dan Slott's stories, but even then they were hit and miss, I loved Spidey when written by JMS (yes, even "The Other") and I thought coming out of Civil War he was in a whole new world of interesting stories, then they just basically hit a big reset button (because that's what it was, you can call it an alteration in his past, you can say everything happened the same... but slightly different, but it's still a fucking reset button) and decided they couldn't be bothered finding an enjoyable way out, or even ending MJ and Peter properly (seriously, a divorce story would've been far more interesting than MJ sells her and Peters relationship to the sodding devil). I gave the new continuity a massive try (I'm not a person to give up a book after one awful arc), I gave it so much try in fact that any other book wouldn't have received even a third of my attention, but I just found it to be stuck in a place that it shouldn't be, twenty years ago, it's just not the same book, and the day I gave up was when Jackpot was revealed to be so unbelievably unimportant she may just as well have been a redshirt.

I stuck with it for a LONG time before giving up, the only times I enjoyed were a few of Dan Slott's stories, but even then they were hit and miss, I loved Spidey when written by JMS (yes, even "The Other") and I thought coming out of Civil War he was in a whole new world of interesting stories, then they just basically hit a big reset button (because that's what it was, you can call it an alteration in his past, you can say everything happened the same... but slightly different, but it's still a fucking reset button) and decided they couldn't be bothered finding an enjoyable way out, or even ending MJ and Peter properly (seriously, a divorce story would've been far more interesting than MJ sells her and Peters relationship to the sodding devil). I gave the new continuity a massive try (I'm not a person to give up a book after one awful arc), I gave it so much try in fact that any other book wouldn't have received even a third of my attention, but I just found it to be stuck in a place that it shouldn't be, twenty years ago, it's just not the same book, and the day I gave up was when Jackpot was revealed to be so unbelievably unimportant she may just as well have been a redshirt.

Oh yeah I can completely agree on the Jackpot thing. That was unbelievably anti-climatic. I can't say I completely disagree with the arguments made against ASM, I just wanted to put forth another point of view in case the negative vibe towards ASM put some people off, who would otherwise enjoy what is happening in the book right now. It has been a little shaky(especially the first few arcs) but I feel they're getting a handle on it. But we'll see where Spidey is after this arc. With the always-changing creative team it's a book that could easily go south.

As i said, i have no idea about whats going on, i only thought about giving it a shot since paying 1.35€ per issue is about half the price i would pay at a german comic shop.

I am a massive old School Spider-Man Fan. They did something here called "Spider-Man Komplett" (Compleed) were they released Boxes containing reprints of old Spider-Man Issues (German)... the Boxes got Terribley expensive with time so i stoped buying them somewere around Box 13, overall they did 20 Re-Releasing every Book from the first one up untill 1979 (Amazin 200, Spectacular 37).... it´s a bit like the "Essensial" TPBs in the US, just in Color and in Single Books instead of a TPB.

It´s realy fun to read because stuff still got developed back then, new guys came in, old guys went out... His First GF (Betty, dos anyone today know this)... The Gwen Stacy deal and her actualy staying dead... no lame soap only issues, no lame action only issues, farst paced - yet still slow becaus more pannels on a page, no spreads...

Some Pics i quickly pulled of eBay.

16c1_1.JPG73c0_1.JPGdsc00007.jpg

Today it´s just Spider-Man, MJ, Aunt May and the same old Villans over and over again... The Second i heared Aunt May died (i actualy belive i heared that a bunch of times, she always came back, so blah) i knew she was comming back... the second i heared Spidy unmasked i knew they would take it back somehow... and now that i heared MJ and Peter are not a cupple i know they will end up together rather sooner than later anyway... and thats just lame and sad....but aperently makes em more monney since ASM has been selling way better since Brand New Day (AFAIK)

Thats why these days i rather stick with other stuff than classic heros... Buffy Season 8, were stuff actualy changes, Bone or 20th Century Boys that someday just ends like each good story should.

Actualy, the last new spider-man thing i read was the TPB of peters clone children with Gwen. Sins past or something like that... i think most people hated it, but i just saw it as a what if story and liked it.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

The only Marvel stuff I'm reading right now are Captain America and Avengers/Invaders, and I'm about to drop a DC title from my reading list. Is there there anything from Marvel I should check out? Keep in mind I have no interest whatsoever in the Ultimate books or anything written by Bendis (Paul Jenkins, too, if he's still working for Marvel), and I'm boycotting the Spider-Man books until BND is eventually undone.

If you have any interest in Sci-Fi, Abnett and Lanning have been doing solid stuff with Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova (I'm not even a fan of the genre and I've enjoyed them), Daredevil is consistent if not great, and features Brubaker and Lark, together again from Gotham Central. The first arc of Invincible Iron Man was great, and worth the trade.

Not sure if anybody was familiar with the site, but livejournal mainstay scans_daily was shut down over the weekend following Peter David's complaints about a post scanning most of X-Factor including the surprise ending.

If you have any interest in Sci-Fi, Abnett and Lanning have been doing solid stuff with Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova (I'm not even a fan of the genre and I've enjoyed them), Daredevil is consistent if not great, and features Brubaker and Lark, together again from Gotham Central. The first arc of Invincible Iron Man was great, and worth the trade.

Not sure if anybody was familiar with the site, but livejournal mainstay scans_daily was shut down over the weekend following Peter David's complaints about a post scanning most of X-Factor including the surprise ending.

I can't agree more on the Abnett and Lanning corner of the Marvel Universe. Brilliant.

I got another of those comic book sugestions... Marvel currently is doing "THE WONDERFUL WIZARD OF OZ" in an 8 par Mini (#4 just went on sale) and it´s absolutly gorgues)

Issues have been selling out left and right, all got a reprint. I´ll wait for the TPB wen it comes to actualy buying it.... but just look at it.... sweet.

5717new_storyimage5224607_full.jpg

Don by Skottie Young. Check his for more pictures of this series andhis other stuff.

http://www.skottieyoung.com/

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

Ordered Batman Chronicles volume 2 off Amazon a few minutes ago. Its already up to volume 7, and the comics shop I go to only had volume 4 in last time I looked.

Volume 1 is a definite must-read if you're a Batman fan, since it not only has the first Bat-Man (yes, his name was spelled with a hyphen for his first two appearances) story, but also has the famous two-parter with The Monk, the first two Joker stories and the first appearances of Catwoman and Robin. (Volume 2 has the first appearance of Clayface and I believe the first Catwoman story where she actually wears a costume) Its also interesting to see the Batman and Robin both kill criminals (although in a couple of instances where Batman kills, the deaths are the criminals' own fault).

Is Dark Victory the natural progression having read Year One, Man Who Laughs and Long Halloween? (I've also read The Killing Joke too)

Or are there other Batbooks in Year One and Two worth reading?

Also, I want to complement the Brubaker Capt. Americas, I'm up to the end of Red Menace thus far. Also Magneto: Testament, but I'm LTTP with that.

Has anyone heard of that comic that takes some DC D-List people and makes them uber badass, attempting to recover an artifact? What's that called?

This. Also, I think one of the heroes is Black Cat. Or maybe a female Black Cat.

You mean Catwoman, who dresses in all black? Black Cat is a Marvel rip-off of Catwoman, and I don't think DC has the rights to the Golden Age Black Cat, who was a Harvey Comics character.

Has anyone heard of that comic that takes some DC D-List people and makes them uber badass, attempting to recover an artifact? What's that called?

This. Also, I think one of the heroes is Black Cat. Or maybe a female Black Cat.

You mean Catwoman, who dresses in all black? Black Cat is a Marvel rip-off of Catwoman, and I don't think DC has the rights to the Golden Age Black Cat, who was a Harvey Comics character.

Misconception, she was actually based off the Tex Avery cartoon "Bad Luck Blackie".

Well, it appears that that was the last issue of Simon Dark (I just realised and I'm gutted), and if you haven't been reading, then shame on you. After a slow start (I did almost drop it around issue 5/6), it grew into a wonderful series, and went from being a comic I brought and read after I'd read whatever else I got that week to being something I read as soon as I got home. The artwork was always wonderful and fit perfectly, and the last couple of issues of the big first year arc and the issue 13 "afermath" of said big arc conclusion were superbly written as well.

The last issue seemed slightly rushed, I don't know if it got canned for low sales or what, but if that was always the planned end then it was slightly flat, but in any event, you all should have been reading the 18 issues. I know Winter F'n Sun/UMB whatever he's called now has been, good lad.

And a bloody good issue of Iron Fist today. Dwayne Polishname is rapidly becoming one of my favourite Marvel writers.

Well, it appears that that was the last issue of Simon Dark (I just realised and I'm gutted), and if you haven't been reading, then shame on you. After a slow start (I did almost drop it around issue 5/6), it grew into a wonderful series, and went from being a comic I brought and read after I'd read whatever else I got that week to being something I read as soon as I got home. The artwork was always wonderful and fit perfectly, and the last couple of issues of the big first year arc and the issue 13 "afermath" of said big arc conclusion were superbly written as well.

The last issue seemed slightly rushed, I don't know if it got canned for low sales or what, but if that was always the planned end then it was slightly flat, but in any event, you all should have been reading the 18 issues. I know Winter F'n Sun/UMB whatever he's called now has been, good lad.

And a bloody good issue of Iron Fist today. Dwayne Polishname is rapidly becoming one of my favourite Marvel writers.

Fuck. I've just read it and it does seem that that's that. I'm well gutted as Simon Dark was one of my favourite lines. Fuck, fuck, fuck.