The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

As stupid as it is in the grand scheme of things, I enjoyed this issue of Spidey (part one of the FF story, I haven't received part 2 yet) more that I have enjoyed an issue of Spidey for a long, long time. So meh, I like it for now.

Excuse me while I hemorrhage from every orificeeeeeeee. Hurghhh, Marvel is a mess right now. I like the characterization of Norman Osborn, but I've gotta agree that this whole "head of S.H.I.E.L.D." thing is ridiculous. It seems like Marvel is trying to go for shock value and it's lammmee. Admittedly, Deadpool is great, though. Admittedly I also haven't been keeping up with his whole part in the Secret Invasion and the subsequent Dark Reign, buttttt the last issue I read with

him and the Thunderbolts and Black Widow II and The Taskmaster was rad. It was just well-written, funny Deadpool stuff.

Oh, and Black Summer was pretty rad. Too short, though.

Edited by Will and Lil

The Umbrealla Academy was fucking quality. I'm really happy at the moment before the last three graphic novels I've picked up have all been a fantastic read (Fell and Buffy were ace). The Umbrella Academy is so well put together, which you wouldn't exactly expect from Gerard Way. But he wrote dix really good comic for The Apocalypse Suite story. Some really awesome twists on things and just a fresh new look. Dark Horse is quickly becoming one of my favourite comic companies.

I'd love to be reccomended more books or issues that aren't from Marvel or DC. I want to keep trying new things because I prefer them so much more to Marvel and DC right now.

Black Summer. Not as good as I expected it to be, but I also overhyped it in my own head quite a bit. It would have been more effective if it was fleshed out a bit, but it was still good.

The Walking Dead gets same-y somewhere, but for a while it's fun.

Elephantmen.

Edited by Will and Lil

I finished Buffy Volume Two. Buffy transfers so well to comic. I loved the series and I love it in graphic novel form. I haven't read a bad comic in ages, the last three boks I've read have all been great. I'm finding Image and Dark Horse waaayy better than DC and Marvel at the moment.

Anyone reading Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds?

So first we got Bart Allen back, and now we got Conner Kent, to which I have to say... AWESOME! I hated it when they killed Conner (and Bart), as I was a big fan of Young Justice, so I loved it that they brought them both back.

And I'm not really a Legion fan, and I don't really know their history, but I remember Time Trapper being in Zero Hour and I'm guessing he's someone really big in the Legion's canon, right? For him to be revealed as being Superboy Prime was a "holy shit" moment for sure.

Anyone else excited about this?

Admittedly I only glanced over it, but Spider-Man Noir seems like a pretty damned cool and original spin on Spidey. It's Spider-Man set in the 1930s, sans super-powers and with gadgets and shit. Again, I only glanced it over but the premise seemed pretty rad. For as "Eh..." as Marvel has been, I have to commend them on the titles that don't get enough attention like this and MAGNETO TESTAMENT GOD DAMNIT. Oh, and Daredevil has been fun from what I've read, too.

I finished Buffy Volume Two. Buffy transfers so well to comic. I loved the series and I love it in graphic novel form. I haven't read a bad comic in ages, the last three boks I've read have all been great. I'm finding Image and Dark Horse waaayy better than DC and Marvel at the moment.

It´s realy fun to read, the 4th TPB of Season 8 will be out in a momnth or something, i can´t wait. 8-)

I also love that the story will come to an end. It will be like 8 TPBs in the end and the season finishes like any other.

Can anyone fill me in on whats happening in the Ultimate Unvierse? The only marvel comic i read is Ultimate Spider-Man and the only thing i know by now is that there is something called ultimatum that keeped me from reciving a new spider-man Comic for 2 Month or something like that by now.

I don't know if anyone else has seen these but they are hilarious. Some guy appropriately named "ItsJustSomeRandomGuy", makes these goofs of those old Apple/PC ads but with Comic characters instead. Here's probably the funniest one he's done. Watchmen/Deadpool.

Watch it now. I demand it.

Note: He did a sort of "series" called Happy Hour if you want to check that out aswell. It's in his channel.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking to get into some older Spider-Man. I've loved the character since I was a kid, but I haven't really delved too far into the classic comics. I've just kept up with Ultimate, mostly, and read a few other things here and there. I'm particularly interested in reading about Venom and Carnage. Actually, anything involving Symbiote Spidey, really. What would be some essential reading for them?

Edited by The Rated-R Superstar

I'm looking to get into some older Spider-Man. I've loved the character since I was a kid, but I haven't really delved too far into the classic comics. I've just kept up with Ultimate, mostly, and read a few other things here and there. I'm particularly interested in reading about Venom and Carnage. Actually, anything involving Symbiote Spidey, really. What would be some essential reading for them?

Maximum Carnage is the general arc that people point to when someone wants to read a good Carnage tale. You could start there.

Maximum Carnage is the general arc that people point to when someone wants to read a good Carnage tale. You could start there.

Why do you lie to him? Maximum Carnage was the biggest pile of horseshit I've read. Know what was worse? Maximum Clonage. Barely.

There.

Why do you lie to him? Maximum Carnage was the biggest pile of horseshit I've read. Know what was worse? Maximum Clonage. Barely.

There.

I haven't read it, personally... but whenever I ask what stuff to get, people always point to: Maximum Carnage, The Clone Saga, the time when Spidey went under like four different names, and New Avengers. That's what I get recommended when I ask about Spider-Man. Of all that, I've only read the New Avengers, and vaguely remember reading the Ricochet comics.

Has anyone here read the limited series Books of Doom? I stumbled across it earlier today and it has been an enjoyable exploration of Victor Von Doom and his genesis. It isn't a re-imagining so much as it's an examination of Doom's rise and corruption that fills in a lot of blanks in his origin. I am surprised that it slipped under my radar for so long.

Guest King Waldorf

There.

I haven't read it, personally... but whenever I ask what stuff to get, people always point to: Maximum Carnage, The Clone Saga, the time when Spidey went under like four different names, and New Avengers. That's what I get recommended when I ask about Spider-Man. Of all that, I've only read the New Avengers, and vaguely remember reading the Ricochet comics.

That's like...the single worst quartet of Spidey storylines I could have come up with, and I say that as somebody whose entry point to comics was Identity Crisis.

There.

To be fair, there's pretty much no "essential" Venom/Carnage reading. Has Venom ever been featured in a story arc that was acclaimed by anyone? I think people just liked the character design and the gimmick: nearly all the stories were godawful.