Help Biggz Select an EPL Team

ACCBiggz

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am interested in following a team as well...

Who would be the Oakland Raiders of the PL? A team that everyone else hates, not because they're great or buy the best players or anything, but because they have great history, and are known to be some tough, badass motherfuckers.

Edited by Clawson

I am interested in following a team as well...

Who would be the Oakland Raiders of the PL? A team that everyone else hates, not because they're great or buy the best players or anything, but because they have great history, and are known to be some tough, badass motherfuckers.

The best comparison, and Simmons got this right (mainly because it was sent to him in e-mails) is Newcastle United. Another comparison, which Simmons also got, was Boston Red Sox. Any team that is known to have an insane fanbase rain or shine really. I'm biased, but I really think the most loyal fans in football are those of Newcastle.

As for history. There's some, but there's a long dry spell where literally nothing happened. They came about when Newcastle East End and Newcastle West End united in 1892. They were almost named, I believe, Newcastle Rangers. I read that somewhere at least. In any case, they've won the top tier of England four times. 1905, 1907, 1909, and 1927. They've also won the FA Cup in 1910, 1924, 1932, 1951, 1952, and 1955. They won the Championship (or whatever its name at the time was) in 1993 to return to the EPL after, I believe, quite a few years away from it. They brought in Alan Shearer (who at the time was the best player in the world more or less) to bring a Premiership title to Newcastle. They blew a big lead in 1996, Shearer's first season, and again were runner-ups in 1997. So a brief summary, since I've been supporting them (2002) nothing of note has happened except Shearer shattering records for goal scoring. He's pretty much a religion to the Geordies.

I hope that's some, there's more on Wikipedia and other sites, and I'm sure others will give you info. And in closing, welcome to the Toon Army.

Edited by damshow

Im a Spurs fan but im going to say Liverpool or Newcastle because they have a huge fan bases which means you must be able to seem them on US TV.

Just dont support Boro, I wouldnt wish that upon anyone.

EDIT: Yeah .. I never read the post above.

Edited by The Slickman

Guest Ringo Hates Divers

Biggz, while you're at it, I'd reccommend you to start checking out the FSW Report. It airs on a daily basis, and although it's really (and I mean really) low budget, it takes Sky Sports's football news and makes them easier to understand for Americans :shifty:. It should also slightly ease you into the game. It's entertaining because it's somewhat craptacular, especially because they have only one analyst (who actually seems knowledgeable), whose claim to fame is playing for Livingston in Scotland (at least I think that's where he played) and for local teams in Winnipeg. All in all, I'd say it should help you along.

IaceI was right all along. The answer is Everton.

You just watch, Johnson and Beattie way over 10 goals each. Tim Howard's time to blossom in goal, Arteta whipping in some beautiful free kicks, England's second best right back Tony Hibbert, sexy Nuno Valente at left back, quality quality centre backs, topped off with one of the best management teams in the country.

I look forward to Everton playing in Europe for real next year.

edit: since I've nearly gone through the starting eleven, I guess I'll have to add that we have Phil Neville (lol at not going to the world cup) and Tim Cahill. I'm really looking forward to this season.

Edited by Thomas

DMN should go for Blackburn....not necessarily the great history (though they have the Prem win), but generally they are a bunch of dirty fuckers >_>

Dirty, no, very, very hard in tackles yes.

Our players don't get sent off for punching or diving. Aside Bothroyd kicked that Norwich player but he was only on loan anyway. >_>