American Sports

Bigal

If you want to watch meaningless games for the majority of a season watch NBA, NHL or MLB >_>

Go with NFL I says.

If you wanna watch games which barely run more than 5 seconds without a stoppage, go with what alldawson said. If you actually want FUN games to watch, go with the NHL.

Meh, I do watch NFL sometimes, but it doesn't come closs to how fun watching NHL is.

Gah, you Brits and your lack of patience. If a majority of people who dismissed the NFL because of the amount of stoppage could understand the game a little better (not a knock on you, but the fact is, the breaks are needed), but oh well.

I've watched NFL since I was 6 or so, I know how it works and what it is about, I just prefer the NHL because the game just flows a lot better, especially with recent rule changes. On Channel 5, over the course of a year I'll always catch more NHL than I will NFL.

It does help that I used to go see my nearest Ice Hockey team for about 4 seasons.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course you'll catch more NHL, there's about 1324138946 more games than in the NFL season :P

I like all four of the main American sports, NFL has recently become my favourite although I've followed it for years, probably due to a few of my friends getting into it, too. I love the hard hits, the bad weather, the trick plays. Plus I also find the programming (especially ESPN's NFL Countdown & Primetime) much more enjoyable than any other sport. Chris Berman > *

NHL is good to watch, like Liam said because of the fast pace and the way the game flows. Traditionalists don't like the recent rule changes, but I do with the higher scores and such. There's also something entertaining about toothless Canadians beating each other up.

I've been a fan of the NBA for ages although I don't watch many games any more, I still keep up with it. I've recently got more into MLB and while some people may find it boring and slow, I can easily sit and watch a game I'm interested in all the way through.

If you're going to follow MLB, don't support the Red Sox or I'll be forced to hate you :(

Edited by alldawson

Of course you'll catch more NHL, there's about 1324138946 more games than in the NFL season :P

Not on Channel 5 though, as you get a game from every week of the NFL (sometimes 2) and the NHL is only covered from very late on in the season. The Stanley Cup stretch might mean there are a few more NHL games over the whole year on Channel 5, but it isn't by that many at all.

Not on Channel 5 though, as you get a game from every week of the NFL (sometimes 2) and the NHL is only covered from very late on in the season. The Stanley Cup stretch might mean there are a few more NHL games over the whole year on Channel 5, but it isn't by that many at all.

I watch NHL on NASN which has coverage for the whole season, I thought channel 5 did the same. My mistake.

I love hockey, it's wonderful to watch, then again, I'm also from a city that mourns when we lose a game and the summer is tainted when we invairably lose in the playoffs.

Baseball, while I love it, you either get it or you don't. And if you don't it can be boring as watching paint dry.

I hate Basketball, but that's just me.

I'd recommed the NFL(or the far superior CFL >_>) or NHL. NHL is a lot more game time a lot less jerkwad announcers spouting off meaningless statistics after every play.

I was thinking about this over night after I posted.. but I think it's absolute bullshit that American sports can be seen overseas yet it's vey difficult for us to get Premeirship and all the European football leagues unless you signup for one Fox World over here.

I got really interested in soccer, and wanted to see the best leagues play (MLS is just not on the level of skill that I like) and I was dissapointed to see that I'd have to shell out $40 a month just to see 2 or 3 games of worth a week.

On free TV that number goes to like 2 games a month on Fox Sports Net, give or take 1 really hyped up game a year on ESPN.

I was thinking about this over night after I posted.. but I think it's absolute bullshit that American sports can be seen overseas yet it's vey difficult for us to get Premeirship and all the European football leagues unless you signup for one Fox World over here.

You do realise we get very few games for free? Channel 5 covers NHL, NFL and MLB but not to any great amount, and we also have to pay to get a substantial amount of US sport (as alldawson has done).

MLB is not a game I'd reccomend to the English, far too slow, and you have to be a fan of the matchups rather than a fan of just gameplay. The game is very repetitive and not fun to watch kinda like watching Soccer/Futbol and not knowing any players on the field and sucky announcers.. can make for a bad experience.

Edited by TheReilDeal

If you're going to follow MLB, don't support the Red Sox or I'll be forced to hate you :(

You suck.

Baseball is my favorite sport. It may drag on and on and seem dull. At times, it is yes. However, any sport is like that really. Any sport takes some personal taste to watch, it either is interesting to you or it isn't. It may be my favorite because baseball is an intense passion where I am from, but anyone can really get that anywhere. There are avid baseball fans around the world. I at least recommend you give baseball an honest chance, watch a bunch of games to get a good feel on it. And not Orioles vs. Royals either, they are trash. And if you're going to follow MLB, don't support the Yankees or I'll be forced to hate you.

Basketball and hockey are very fast paced and don't have as many rules to pick up on. However, many in America feel the NBA is just for blacks and the NHL is just for rich kids, Canadians, and Russians. Football is the most popular sport here, but it has the same slow feel as baseball... it's an acquired taste.

Edited by Lowerdeck

You suck.

Baseball is my favorite sport. It may drag on and on and seem dull. At times, it is yes. However, any sport is like that really. Any sport takes some personal taste to watch, it either is interesting to you or it isn't. It may be my favorite because baseball is an intense passion where I am from, but anyone can really get that anywhere. There are avid baseball fans around the world. I at least recommend you give baseball an honest chance, watch a bunch of games to get a good feel on it. And not Orioles vs. Royals either, they are trash. And if you're going to follow MLB, don't support the Yankees or I'll be forced to hate you.

Basketball and hockey are very fast paced and don't have as many rules to pick up on. However, many in America feel the NBA is just for blacks and the NHL is just for rich kids, Canadians, and Russians. Football is the most popular sport here, but it has the same slow feel as baseball... it's an acquired taste.

:crying:

I at least recommend you give baseball an honest chance, watch a bunch of games to get a good feel on it. And not Orioles vs. Royals either, they are trash.

Seriously. Has Peter Angelos and Co. done anything in the last five years besides sign Tejada and bitch about the Nationals moving into their territory?

I feel bad for the Orioles, how they've become so decripid. Then again, they play in the same division as the Sox.

I at least recommend you give baseball an honest chance, watch a bunch of games to get a good feel on it. And not Orioles vs. Royals either, they are trash.

Seriously. Has Peter Angelos and Co. done anything in the last five years besides sign Tejada and bitch about the Nationals moving into their territory?

I feel bad for the Orioles, how they've become so decripid. Then again, they play in the same division as the Sox.

Hired the worst manager in baseball history. Raised ticket prices. Spent most revenue on advertising.

He's done lots! That cunt.

Edited by damshow

I love watching any hockey game in the NHL. Whether it involves my favorite team (The Toronto Maple Leafs) or any other team, I enjoy watching regular season and playoff hockey.

It's fast paced, and you with all the younger players and rules changes, the game is quicker and more high scoring.

I'm with Lowerdeck on this one, baseball is one of the best sports in the world. My favorite team is the Florida Marlins because of them being my hometown team. However, most people here in South Florida can't give two fucks about the Marlins and the Dolphins are fucking them every which way. Add in that that the State of Florida won't support them in building a new stadium and you have a fucked team.

That's too bad too because Florida won the World Championship twice in their short existence. Too bad that we keep trading all of our good players after our championship wins, or else we'd be a force to be reckoned with.

So yeah, support Florida, you'd be one of maybe 5 people.