Japanese rock/pop

Guest Small Red

Guest Small Red

So, Ive got like...48 hours more in Tokyo and realised I have fuck all Japanese CDs. Name some good ones, since chances are I can listen to them in the shop.

Thee Michelle Gun Elephant (My most favourite band of all time)

Rosso (Yusuke Chiba's new front, after TMGE dissolved)

Lonesome Dove Woodrows (Just got their albums about 20 minutes ago, and listening to them... Similar to TMGE, great stuff!)

Animetal (If your an anime fan, and a metal fan... EASY :D SO MUCH FUN!!!)

Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra (You HAVE to listen to some of this stuff, as there is no other band in the world that is anything like them. Truley amazing, and one of the longest running acts in Japan (formed 88).)

Sex Machineguns are great. Only have their most recent album, but such loud crisp rock. Awesome stuff.

You might want to check out B'z aswell, Small Red. Biggest selling rock band ever in Japan.

I really don't like them, but if they sell, must be something good about them. Yet to find it though.

EDIT:

Can you go to Korakuen Hall, and go to the Wrestling store there, and buy me heaps of T-shirts :P

I also think I need the second UWF-i box set aswell...

Thanks Red :P

Edited by Poison Sawada LUKIE

So, Ive got like...48 hours more in Tokyo and realised I have fuck all Japanese CDs. Name some good ones, since chances are I can listen to them in the shop.

As EWB's #1 Pillows enthusiast, I recommend them wholeheartedly. Try to get "Please Mr. Lostman," "Thank You, My Twilight," or "Smile."

Ayumi Hamasaki is f***ing fabulous. She has the best voice ever.

I prefer Maaya Sakamoto, personally...

I echo what GoGo said about The Pillows, and what Xero Gravity said about Asian Kung-Fu Generation. Also, Hyde (Cloudy mentioned L'Arc~en~Ciel - Hyde is the new band that spawned from them after they broke up). Don't get Gackt. So horrendously overrated just because the female market think he's pretty. >_>

As EWB's #1 Pillows enthusiast, I recommend them wholeheartedly. Try to get "Please Mr. Lostman," "Thank You, My Twilight," or "Smile."

Grr. As EWB's #2 Pillows entusiast I was hoping to sneak in here before you could. But yes, The Pixies are grand, I now own all three albums GoGo recommended as well as the Fool on the Planet compilation. I'd actually suggest the compilation for first time listeners, because not only is it very, very good, it also has 'I think I can', which is one of the coolest songs ever.

I never got the thing with Ayumi Hamasaki. I have a friend who is LITERALLY in love with her, and would stalk her if he could. He thinks one day he will marry her... Yeah... fucking crazy...

But onto what I was going to say. I listened to a lot of her stuff, and it just sounds soooo.... how can I put it... fake?

It's just like every other pop crap shoved down our throats. It's marketed to be major mainstream, the equivalent to Britney Spears, and all that other crap.

I guess thats why I originally started to listen to Japanese music, to get away from all the crap, and all the artists that don't put care and meaning into their music. Then I found a lot of the same thing in Japan (Morning Musume anyone?) and also stayed clear of all of that...

Just look at my tastes :P

Skapara, Animetal, TMGE, Guitar Wolf...

All so unique, and different to everything else in the world.

*Ups flame shield*

Animetal is the tunes of old anime and Japanese tv shows (kamen rider etc.), which they take, and turn into animetal.

The BIG thing with them is the passion they have for the songs.

The problem is, the only real way to see that passion is in their live performances. When you watch them, you can tell they are anime/tv show fans of the songs, and at their concerts they are much a part of the fans, as they are themselves.

Thats really the big thing about them. When I first heard their first ever medley, it was amazing the talent they put into it, and how they did it. I have never heard anything similar to them, but they upped their ante, when I saw their first live performance, thats when their true nature came out.

It's just like every other pop crap shoved down our throats. It's marketed to be major mainstream, the equivalent to Britney Spears, and all that other crap.

I guess thats why I originally started to listen to Japanese music, to get away from all the crap, and all the artists that don't put care and meaning into their music.

You do realise that a lot of non-Japanese music covers these things also? Mainstream covers such a small amount of the music out there realistically, thats a poor excuse.

If you like it, like it, you don't have to pretend that it is any different elsewhere like it sounds you have.

And just because Animetal do the "TV show to metal" thing doesn't mean the sound is unique. Hell, Mr Bungle do game song covers, they are more unique than this Animetal sound cos the actual sound is pretty unique.

Edited by liamwannabe