The XBox 360

thatshortguy

Here's what I have for when I'm at home...

I have a my Xbox 360 hooked up via Ethernet cable to my computer, which has a wireless adapter plugged into it.

Xbox Live works perfectly fine.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never really gotten the whole online game stuff. See my computer is downstairs and my room (where my 360 would be) is upstairs. I have a phone jack in my room, but I've got high speed internet through Cox. I'm just lost as to where I would hook it to, a phone jack like I've got in my room?

Ethernet cable between the modem (or a switch/router/whatever) into the Xbox 360 ethernet port is how it connects. And needless to say, Xbox Live only works with broadband. I hear the Koreans have regulation 120KBps...now them, I envy. :crying:

I've never really gotten the whole online game stuff. See my computer is downstairs and my room (where my 360 would be) is upstairs. I have a phone jack in my room, but I've got high speed internet through Cox. I'm just lost as to where I would hook it to, a phone jack like I've got in my room?

Ethernet cable between the modem (or a switch/router/whatever) into the Xbox 360 ethernet port is how it connects. And needless to say, Xbox Live only works with broadband. I hear the Koreans have regulation 120KBps...now them, I envy. :crying:

So, does this mean that if already have a wireless router in my house that supports ethernet it should just work with no problem? Or do I literally need an actual cable that plugs into the XBox 360. We have three computers here (two laptops, and a desktop) that all automatically run from the wireless router we have, and other than the desktop, the two laptops just needed to be turned on and they were ready to go.

Yeah, just as ridiculous. It sucks for me as well, because the ONLY way to link my Windows Media Center with my 360 is with a wireless connection. Fucking wankers.

Of course I stream music from my mp3 player and use a portable flash disk to transfer pictures to my 360, so it's pretty pointless to link them anyways. And my PC screen is far better for watching videos. *shrug*

Edited by The Kraig

ok, what I got from Kraigy's explanation is that you needed it through a phone service to hook it up to a jack, or you needed to have a wireless reciever. So please explain to me, anybody, how exactly I would get Xbox Live with the computer downstairs and the 360 upstairs. My computer will probably be moved into my room about next summer (sister is going to college and the computer becomes mine).

ok, what I got from Kraigy's explanation is that you needed it through a phone service to hook it up to a jack, or you needed to have a wireless reciever. So please explain to me, anybody, how exactly I would get Xbox Live with the computer downstairs and the 360 upstairs. My computer will probably be moved into my room about next summer (sister is going to college and the computer becomes mine).

You would want to invest, expensive as it may be, in the wireless adapter. If you want to wait until your computer is moved into your room, you could position it so an ethernet cable did the job. For XBox Live now, though, the adapter is the way to go.

My computer is next to my XBox, so it's not an issue, but my PS2 was a bit of a pain in the ass to hook up. Had to feed cables from the modem through the air vents into my room, so unless you have some crafty way of keeping a long ass wire out of the way, go wireless.

My computer is next to my XBox, so it's not an issue, but my PS2 was a bit of a pain in the ass to hook up. Had to feed cables from the modem through the air vents into my room, so unless you have some crafty way of keeping a long ass wire out of the way, go wireless.