Official Premiership 06/07 thread

Liam

Yeah, but I've never agreed with the yellow card rule for that. In Tevez's case, yeah, he jumped into the crowd, that was a bit much, but its common sense. I've seen youth players getting booked for 'over-celebrating' thier debut goals.....what are they supposed to do? They've just scored thier first ever senior goal, you bet they'll be over the moon.

If it was just for taking the shirt off, fine, but they stretch the rule to include anything, which is very petty.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ringu

The rule is there because people are morons. If a bunch of tools didn't throw a fit or get violent because they perceive the celebration as inflammatory or taunting when a player in the opposition scored, it wouldn't be there in the first place.

As far as I'm aware the rule about taking your shirt off is there because it apparently delays the game.

Wasn't it Diego Forlan's fault? I seem to remember it being him that took 4 hours to put his shirt back on once. I think it was because the Utd shirt at the time had some kind of inner lining thing.

Or maybe it's because we never want to see Ryan Giggs' chest hair again. :pinch:

edit: From Wikipedia:

During this period, Forlán became known for characteristically removing his shirt and baring his torso in celebration of his goals. The first such example of this routine resulted in quite an amusing incident; Forlán whipped his shirt off in excitement after scoring a last minute winner against Southampton in December 2002 but struggled to get it back on in time for the re-start of play, resulting in the spectacle of Forlan briefly running around the Old Trafford pitch bare-chested, with his shirt still in his hand. The referee soon stopped play and ordered Forlan off the pitch to get dressed.

Bwaha.

yeah I always thought that even if it was masked under the "delays the game" thing that it was largely due to players starting to wear things underneath their football shirts to advertise other products/brands or to make political type statements.

I think the rule's ridiculous personally, like has been said, sometimes a celebration is gonna be big, why shouldn't it be? and the rule itself is insanely inconsistent. You see one guy get carded for a celebration one week, then another guy receive nothing for something almost identical.

If they stopped wasting time trying to stamp things out of the game that weren't a problem, and started thinking about the things that are (like an instant yellow for anyone telling a ref to card another player for instance) and how to eradicate them from the game, which wouldn't take much thought, the game would be in better shape.

As for the Forlan thing, I can't imagine anyone ever changed any rules because of thinsg relating to him scoring goals. Why bother, it wasn't like he got much chance to celebrate them in England anyway

Guest Ringu

Italy, Spain and Germany or Holland I think, had cases where the crowd turned violent right after the guy took off his shirt or jumped into the crowd, so I would assume it has something to do with that as well.

Blame the foreigners >_>

So, yeah, just read Quotes Of The Week on BBC sport and this is easily my favourite.

""You put ya Argentines in, Ya Argentines out,

The Iceman comes and kicks the gaffer out,

Ya selling Reo-Coker & ya going down

That's why we love to shout.......

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh ***ky, ***ky West Ham,

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh ***ky, ***ky West Ham,

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh ***ky, ***ky West Ham.

Misfits, has-beens, ha ha ha!!""

Spurs fans to the West Ham fans. :lol:

Q: What's worse than going down 3-0 to Chelsea?

A: Going down 3-0 to Chelsea, and losing your only source of goals to a DOUBLE broken-leg.

Even though he was talking about something else entirely, I think Liam summed it up best when he once said "Well, cock."

I gotta say i was a huge hater of Ronaldo after the World Cup but hes cut down the diving and the tricks and he is truly going to be the worlds best player within 3 years if he isnt so now

Man that guy was awesome today

Manchester United's second, with Ronaldo and Rooney breaking from the Bolton corner was simply brilliant, just a brilliant, brillliant goal.

It's funny how Park had a great game, and was still over-shadowed by Rooney and in particular, Ronaldo who was amazing.