Official Premiership 06/07 thread

Liam

Guest Ringy Said Knock You Out

When was Linvoy Primus good? Is this likely to be a flash in the pan thing, or has he quietly been good for quite some time?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ringy Said Knock You Out

Well then I've no reason to like Fulham. Hopefully they get relegated and Coleman gets a better team. (Y)

Edited by Ringy Said Knock You Out

Fulham have sacked manager Chris Coleman and his assistant Steve Kean with immediate effect.

Northern Ireland manager Lawrie Sanchez will take over on a caretaker basis for the remainder of the season.

The Cottagers lie four points above the Premiership drop zone after a seven-game winless streak, but the sacking still comes as a surprise.

"It is disappointing that the club has no alternative but to part company [with Coleman]," read a club statement.

"Chris has provided a fantastic service during his 10 years at the club, but as a team and organisation Fulham Football Club has goals to attain and success to achieve - and by no means can this be compromised.

"After consultation with the Irish FA president Jim Boyce, it is agreed that Lawrie Sanchez will join as caretaker manager for the remaining five Premiership games of the season."

Coleman joined Fulham as a player in 1997 in a £2m move from Blackburn, but injuries suffered in a car crash in 2001 led to his retirement less then two years later.

He took over as manager in April 2003 following the departure of Jean Tigana.

Sanchez has led Northern Ireland to the top of their European Championships qualifying group with victories over Spain and Sweden.

He also oversaw a famous 1-0 win over England in the last World Cup qualifying competition, and has pledged to see out his contract with the Irish Football Association.

The 47-year-old's first match in charge of the Cottagers will be on Saturday when they face his former club Reading.

I'm gutted.

But Sanchez in temporary control sounds good to me.

Bigger team, better board, Coleman would do wonders for a team.

There's a reason that Mourinho said that he was one of the best managers in the Premiership, and since Fulham have been relegation fodder for years, and Coleman has still kept them up.

Added to the fact that we have 5 games left, so it couldn't come at a worse time, what with relegation fears and all. Although I guess they couldn't see Fulham staying up with Coleman.

At least if they do go down (which is pretty unlikely in my opinion), Coleman won't have that on his history record.

I don't get why they've fired him for no real reason other than they might get relegated. I don't see Marton O'Neill getting sacked, and I'm pretty sure he spent much more on players while Villa are only four points ahead of Fulham.

I hope Lawrie stays Northern Ireland boss as well whatever he does. It's great seeing them giant kill.

I can't be arsed to find the list for the PFA nominees, but how Gerrard (yeah, I know I go on about the guy a lot in some of these things) got a nomination is beyond me. Hes great, but he has had a pretty poor season by his standards, and it seems he is in thier for name value as much as anything, although due to it being voted for by the players, I guess you can't REALLY complain about it. Its not like there is a little board somewhere deciding everything.

I just though someone like Michael Essien shoulda got a mention, as he has had a really good season.

As for the Young Players, I'd like to see Doyle win it, but he won't.

Didier Drogba (Chelsea)

Francesc Fabregas (Arsenal)

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)

Ryan Giggs (Manchester United)

Crisitano Ronaldo (Manchester United)

Paul Scholes (Manchester United

Well, last year it was pretty much Chelsea with a few guests. This year it's Man United's turn. And Gerrard does stand out as a bit of a random choice (especially when Lampard isn't on the list).

Still, it's fairly inconsequential who's on the list. Ronaldo can't really lose, can he?

Young Player:

Kevin Doyle (Reading)

Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal)

Aaron Lennon (Tottenham)

Micah Richards (Manchester City)

Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United)

Ronaldo winning both would be silly. Especially since he's 22. Tough choice from the others though. I don't think Richards will get it. Probably Fabregas or Lennon.

Edited by Farmer Reil